Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM

20 posts, read 80,611 times

Advertisements

they have a secret formula to ascertain that horry county gets those tax dollars for the overpaid HC govt . No matter how old or new the vehicle may be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
we will be moving to a home in myrtle beach , spending 6 months there and 6 months in NY, can I still acquire new plates in SC on a newly purchased used car we will be keeping in SC since we will be living there half the year and using this new car exclusively in SC.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
Is a $50 road fee on a $2000 2002 Jetta that isn't goung to be driven correct? Hard to understand how a undriven, garaged car still attracts a road fee!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 55,685 times
Default Just went through this

The car title transfer and plates process was easy and smooth. The drivers license process was frustrating.

As stated above, pay the property tax, have the paperwork, and it works out fine. Maybe 45 minutes of standing in 2 lines.

The drivers license process was not easy. They insist on the actual social security card; if you don't have that, drive to Conway to the social security office to apply for a replacement. The DMV will not take the paperwork certifying (with SS number) that you have applied for a replacement; it will not take Medicare paperwork (even though this has a SS-based Medicare number on it), it will only take a card.

We've had 3 trips so far and still don't have his license. We have tried both Little River and MB locations.

The SS card is in the mail and we're looking forward to trip #4.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM

99 posts, read 141,529 times
We recently registered our vehicles and changed our licenses in June. We moved here from Mass. At the DMV they gave us a page of all the requirements that you have to show them in order to register a car. I'm pretty sure that you have to be a resident here before you can register a car. One of the requirements is a copy of your home deed or proof that you are renting, such as a utility bill, there's a whole list of items, and if you're missing one item on that list you can't register.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM

99 posts, read 141,529 times
Also, our car insurance more than doubled here from what it was in Mass. and we have excellent driving records. I was paying $400 now I'm paying $830 for one car. It's due to this state having the 3rd worse drivers in the country and they are really bad here.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,622,555 times
You might want to shop around for a better price. Sometimes insurance companies take advantage of a long term customer making a change to jack up their rates on the assumption the customer will not take the time to comparison shop. Our rates went up as well when we moved from CT, but not significantly.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 AM

132 posts, read 174,358 times
Can I explain? You are supposed to get a SC license and registration within 90 days of becoming a full time resident. If you are going back and forth, keep it from NJ. Getting a license and registration here is a pain in the butt. You need more paperwork than you've dreamed about. Lines are long at the registry. Look it up on the website and make sure your ducks are in a row. You need to go to a tax office with your old registration, proof of old insurance , proof of new residence get a new bill, go to another office to actually pay it , then head to the registry. If I were you, I would postpone this as long as possible. You will become responsible for a yearly tax on your car and its way way more than I paid up north. Getting a license here is separate from the registration. No one will blink an eye if you have a out of state plate unless your dropping a child off at school. Best of luck

Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
Moving from NJ. Didn't think car insurance would be higher.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM

39 posts, read 54,411 times
We made the ultimate mistake of leasing two new cars just prior to relocating to MB. Since we did not have title to the cars so we had to contact both leasing companies asking that they provide same ASAP. Hyundai sent my title together with a Power of Attorney directly to me but Subaru sent those papers to SC main DMV office in Blythewood. I titled my Hyundai with no trouble what-so-ever . To make a very trying story short, the DMV received the Subaru paperwork June 22, 2017 but unbeknownst to me, rejected same returning it to the leasing company one week later, June 27, 2017. I called the DMV every other day asking if they had received the paperwork but no one acknowledged anything (always in "the process stage") but receiving the documents FOR TWO MONTHS! Finally three weeks ago, the DMV admitted that they rejected the title (they would never tell me why) and returned it to Subaru's leasing company. The leasing company has no record of receiving it so the onslaught continues. We pleaded with Subaru to send the title work directly to our home address and not to Blythewood. Subaru's leasing company (JP Morgan Chase) called two weeks later informing us that all had been taken care of and for us to report to our local DMV where it would be on file. We did so & guess what? No record of the title work being received by the DMV. We called JP Morgan Chase while we were at the DMV desk asking that they immediately fax the paperwork to the MB DMV and luckily we found a competent clerk at Chase who did so.
What a cluster.......! Point being, do your homework prior to coming down for any leased vehicles you may have.
By-the-way, my insurance increased by some 20% upon relocating here from South Jersey.
Our reason for becoming SC residents is to take advantage of the reduced real estate tax amount on your primary owned residence.

P.S. Because of the delays we had to pay the new $250 out-of-state tax on the Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area