Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 AM

343 posts, read 726,588 times

Advertisements

The Treasurer's Office has info that they use to determine the value. Won't be more than $300 per car, and that would be a new, fairly expensive car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,515 times
We have a 1999 Ford Minivan and paid 22.95 for the tax and 30.00 for the road fee. This is a bargain if you ask me. Just one more thing to add to the list of thing we have saved dollars on by moving to SC.

I should add that the out of state title was $15.00 and the new registration was $24.00 ... another bargain!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,429 times
Yeah, they ask you all of that on the form. It's really cheap unless you have a brand new car, so don't worry. You literally pay your tax, walk across the street, get in line (the lady is usually VERY nice) at the desk to the left, tell her what you're there for and she'll give you the forms to fill out, along with a ticket telling you which line you'll be going to.

It's not like up north. Don't expect mean and nasty people working at the DMV here. You may have a wait, but that's to be expected anywhere. Generally they work rather quickly, which is surprising because anywhere else in the South, that's not the case (imo). Altho sometimes they wander off and you wonder what they're doing...Anyway!

You'll hand her your paid tax bill (from across the street), the forms you filled out (you'll need proof of residence in the form of a water bill, lease, etc). They'll make you turn in your old license, take a quick eye exam, and show proof of insurance. You take a new pic, sign the electronic machine, and they'll create you out a new license. If you have a motorcycle license, that transfers as well. Do it at the same time.

Let me tell you, it's better to get it over with. If you don't, you will get a daily fine if it goes over the amt of days they allow. Definitely NOT worth it. When I was there a few weeks ago for my daughter, we heard a man get a little bit of fuss over not coming in since December. He gave her the explaination that he came down looking for a job, wasn't sure if he was staying or not since he hadn't found one until that week. She allowed it. If it wasn't for the economic climate, don't know if he would have gotten away with that lol

Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Well it's probably silly to change everything over until we sell our house in NJ. Would I be legal/legit to just pay the property tax fee on our two vehicles and just wait until we are actual perminant residents to change the registrations and licenses?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM

343 posts, read 726,588 times
The only purpose in paying the personal property tax on vehicles is to have the paid receipt you need to title and tag the car. Don't pay the tax until you are sure that you want to/ or need to switch over to S.C. tags.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Heading from NJ to SC today. Even though our Pontiac Grand Prix will be sitting here in NJ, I still may want to register it in SC depending on how the sale of our NJ house goes in the next month or so.

Do I need to have the NJ registration for the car or is the title enough to take care of a SC registration?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM

78 posts, read 294,497 times
good luck to tmozer, i'm in the same boat, waiting for the sale of my house in NJ,but either way I'll be coming down and looking for a place to rent in June, want to get the kid settled in before school starts,since you start a lot earlier then we do in Jersey.Its harder for kids to adjust. I'll be registering 3 cars but they're not new so hopefully it wont be too much.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM

882 posts, read 3,538,499 times
tmozer- the title should be enough.

Scan this page for more info...
Treasurer :: Horry County Government

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 16,277 times
I am a resident of SC (North Myrtle Beach) and will be buying a car in CT next week. I know I will be subject to SC sales tax ($300 limit), but will I have to pay the property tax up front for the coming year? It will be a replacement vehicle for the car which I have just paid the tax for the coming year.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 AM

62 posts, read 169,623 times
This thread is psychic. Moving to NMB from Atlanta. I was going to post the same question as I need to register my car sometime in January and couldn't quite figure out the sequence with the tax and then the registration. Thanks for all the help. And I love the comment about "damn Yankee", LOL. Love the sign in Duck's: "We welcome shaggers of all ages, and most Yankees too".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area