Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,137 times

Advertisements

I have spent much time, in the five months since moving to Myrtle Beach, pondering politics in South Carolina. I often find myself taken back in disbelief, and sometimes I feel like I have been taken back in a time machine. I am not trying to offend anyone; I truly love almost everything about my new home. I know this isn’t a political forum but I really want to know how actual residents, especially natives, feel about their politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,001 times
i can't stand Harry Reid!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,203 times
Oh my, neecewh, do you *know* what you have done? I have been blipped too many times by the mods, and here we go again...

At one time in my life, we may have been fortunate enough to occasionally be represented by a statesman, someone who actually gave more of a damn for his state or country than for his re-election. It's been awhile since I can recall any of those, perhaps some of the Kennedys, but then again, I'm one of those wacko commie liberals. I'm sure we've had a few at the state level but I cannot recall any.

To answer your question, in SC I believe there are a very small handful at the local level who actually put the best interests of their constituents ahead of personal gain. Regardless, they're a minority. Past that, anyone in either Columbia or DC who actually tries to vote their conscience rather than follow the party line has no chance of surviving. Lindsay Graham is a perfect example. He actually had the gall to try and work across party lines on several issues, which has gotten him roundly condemned at home. Regardless of the level of politics, the fact that a candidate is spending $millions to get elected to a position that pays $100K or less is a real good sign of what's wrong with politics.

We have also allowed politics to degrade to the point where it is little more than a shouting contest between parties. There is far more emphasis on getting the other party out of office than actually accomplishing something meaningful for our state or country. That's not just a SC problem. We have also reached a situation where a majority is no longer sufficient to legislate, now requiring a "super majority" of 60%. IMO, it's going to be awhile before either party experiences that again, so deadlock is now the only game in town.

Columbia politics has been a sorry joke for a long, long time and it's getting worse. I can't ever remember it being much different than that. SC politics would make a terrific sit-com if it were not a true story and so destructive toward SC's environment, infrastructure, educational system, and the welfare of so many of its citizens.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,602 times
I've said it before on other threads.....I was traveling for work and crossed paths with an exec from one of SCs largest manufacturing firms. During our flight, our conversation drifted to politics. I was stunned to hear him say that the SC political machine was to blame for SCs lack of economic growth and development. His exact words were that we needed for a few of the puppet masters to die off in order to see economic growth in our state. I'm an independent...fiscally conservative but socially liberal. We have to get the younger folks interested and involved in changing our state. But we first have to find a candidate experienced enough to support.

And yeah, its disgusting that millions are spent on campaigns for jobs that pay $100K. The egos, the nepatism, the corruption, the political game playing...... Americans are starting to pay attention....now we just need to define a solution and take control of our government. Even when we send good people to Washing, the political machine forces them to play the corrupt game....... how do we break the machine? That's the question.......

Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM

I know, I know, I know, PawleysDude, I think I heard the walls gasp when I was typing this post, but no more so than I did when hearing the audio of Andre Bauer. Curiosity got the best of me and I figured that even at the bottom of Pandora’s Box was hope. I appreciate you going out on the limb, at the risk of being blipped, and shedding a little light on the situation.

In a year that I had so much hope, I have never been as disgusted with the state of politics in this country as I have been lately and as you pointed out it is a country wide problem not just the state of South Carolina. I guess I am still curious as to whether the voters actually “like” their candidates or is just being a republican (and as you said, one that won’t cross the aisle under any circumstances) the only qualification required? I hope readers of this post will help me answer that question.

Verdeojos5, your statement was brief and, even though this isn’t Nevada, it actually says a lot so I appreciate your input as well.

Tinabean you bring up a point that I hadn’t even considered, you said we need a candidate experienced enough to support. Being new to the area I am interested in knowing if there are even alternatives? Knowing the money involved in running for office (which I agree is absolutely absurd), do qualified Democrats even bother trying?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM

So I didn't live there long enough to get into the politics, which is why I commented on my own state.

but you wrote something interesting to me "I am still curious as to whether the voters actually “like” their candidates or is just being a republican (and as you said, one that won’t cross the aisle under any circumstances) the only qualification required?"

How do you think the current President got elected? im gonna go out on a limb and say it WASN'T strictly about his policies...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
do qualified Democrats even bother trying?
I think there are many, many qualified democrats and republicans who refuse to try because they are disgusted by the entire politican scene, and fully aware of how badly they will need to prostitute themselves in order to have any chance of being elected. Tinabean makes excellent points, and certainly our political machine is as bad as anywhere else in the country. IL and LA may get more attention but our corruption and backroom dealing is every bit as damaging to our state. That machine is firmly entrenched and I cannot imagine what will change to break the cycle.

Quote:
whether the voters actually “like” their candidates or is just being a republican...
I cannot recall the last time I felt I had a choice between two good candidates. I would love to be able to choose between two principled candidates who offer legitimate but different solutions to our problems. In most cases, the reality of elections is simply picking the least bad choice.

In SC, the key to electoral success is being republican and "pro-life". That's fine, I just wish "pro-life" included having a little concern for human beings after the birth event. Minor details such as education, dignity, and yes, even access to meaningful pro-active health care for everyone. None of that ever makes it to SC's "pro-life" platform.

Quote:
In a year that I had so much hope...
I share your sentiment, but it was truly inspiring while it lasted. It seems that hope is always the first thing to go in the harsh light of politics, followed by trust and honesty.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
So I didn't live there long enough to get into the politics, which is why I commented on my own state.

but you wrote something interesting to me "I am still curious as to whether the voters actually “like” their candidates or is just being a republican (and as you said, one that won’t cross the aisle under any circumstances) the only qualification required?"

How do you think the current President got elected? im gonna go out on a limb and say it WASN'T strictly about his policies...
Ooopps ... sorry Verdeojos5, I didn't realize you were from Nevada. I though you were referring to what happens often on BOTH sides and that is just voting AGAINST a party, not necessarily for a candidate.

Regarding my asking if voters "like" their candidates, I asked because I find some of the people in office, and quite frankly I can't put this any other way, reprehensible.

As for President Obama I can tell you I went to vote with a skip in my step, a smile on my face, and enthusiasm in my heart. I can also tell you, though, that I am 45 years old and have been voting since I was 18 and can not recall a time when I went with such excitement. Unfortunately, there were many times, like PawleysDude said, that you are forced to pick "the least bad choice" and liking them never enters the equation.

PawleysDude I agree, I think education, dignity, and meaningful pro-active health care for everyone would make a great addition to the "pro-life" platform. I actually had the audacity, or so they would make me believe in their response, to write to my new senators shortly after moving to SC on the subject of health care ... enough said right?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM

so... do you still have a skip in your step, a smile on your face, and enthusiasm in your heart?

and actually i certainly think it happens on both sides, and agree that there are many people in office that are reprehensible.
i think politics are so weird and disturbing sometimes.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Reps to you, neecewh. I admire the skip in your step. It's unfortunate the actions of our state and national representatives do not inspire every citizen to feel that way every day. I heard inspiration tonite, but that inspiration is blanketed by the knowledge when the sun rises tomorrow, Congress will still be the same old band of self-serving party-line politicians that buried us in all this muck. And that's sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area