Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times

Advertisements

Actually it is going into the 60s this week. Today wasn't bad either. The golf courses are still full of golfers, enjoying the sunny days.
The city area of Myrtle Beach is looking smashing, with the new and upbeat colors on the buildings.
I just drove through there this AM. As you pass that area and follow along the ocean all the beautiful homes are lined up nicely along the way. I hadn't remembered how pretty it was, and what a nice area it is up by the 20's through the 70's(St.) along the ocean. ( I didn't head up further this time around.)
There is always fun things to do in the winters also. Check into the shows and who is in town....
Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach...........and no crowds!
Its a more peaceful time.
You can find a good hotel at a good price and it is not a crime area.
It is very peaceful downtown really...........many stroll to the beach to watch the new boardwalk arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 144,155 times
I am having a ball in Myrtle Beach. There seems to be a secret society of us living in Paradise here because a lot of people are nervous about the negatives they hear like the alleged high crime.

I was only a victim of a heinous crime once here in Myrtle Beach. While I was dining in one of the many restaurants, I got up to use the rest room, and the waiter took my tray of food away thinking I was done. To compensate for the waiter's mistake, the manager brought a whole fresh tray of food, would not let me pay my bill, and gave me a pie to take home. Nevertheless, this was a despicable crime that must have sent the crime index up 3 notches and it should be punishable by death!!! I won't tolerate this again!!!

Last edited by Mec4U; 01-15-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Myrtle Beach has a downtown?

Where is it located?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,348,425 times
[quote]I was only a victim of a heinous crime once here in Myrtle Beach. While I was dining in one of the many restaurants, I got up to use the rest room, and the waiter took my tray of food away thinking I was done. /quote]

Classic, how do you sleep at night. Yes, the crime stats lead one to believe you're in New Orleans after Katrina, until you find out the reality of it all. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Myrtle Beach has a downtown?

Where is it located?
around 9th ave north Ocean. and up and down those blocks.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,850 times
I was (unfortunately) put in charge of making the arrangements for our golf outing in beginning of march. When i saw that most packagers of golf with accommodation seemed to be ripping off i.e. 175 US for five days per person just for room...i looked online and find hotel or motel after another for dirt cheap.
So sure maybe whatever place the golf pkgr's were going to give were likely nice..but we just want clean and efficient...just safe and nice...i have found rates as low as $23 for double occupancy per nite?
wow..so cheap.
but how does one find if its good? post on here? it seems that tripadvisor and expedia...for every single property have half reviews of each place great, half say its cockroach infested disgusting? Unless paying huge amts, it is confusing.
I even have seen many places in states and carribbean that i absolutely loved and you read reviews on how bad and dingy the place was? when we were instead blown away?

anyone comment on a el cheapo clean hotel or motel? more worried about spending on golf..not the sleep.
found something called the viking? its cheap..but again..half say no..half say great bargain??

Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhark View Post
I was (unfortunately) put in charge of making the arrangements for our golf outing in beginning of march. When i saw that most packagers of golf with accommodation seemed to be ripping off i.e. 175 US for five days per person just for room...i looked online and find hotel or motel after another for dirt cheap.
So sure maybe whatever place the golf pkgr's were going to give were likely nice..but we just want clean and efficient...just safe and nice...i have found rates as low as $23 for double occupancy per nite?
wow..so cheap.
but how does one find if its good? post on here? it seems that tripadvisor and expedia...for every single property have half reviews of each place great, half say its cockroach infested disgusting? Unless paying huge amts, it is confusing.
I even have seen many places in states and carribbean that i absolutely loved and you read reviews on how bad and dingy the place was? when we were instead blown away?

anyone comment on a el cheapo clean hotel or motel? more worried about spending on golf..not the sleep.
found something called the viking? its cheap..but again..half say no..half say great bargain??
I agree that tripadvisor and expedia are just a bundle of mixed messages. I tried to make decisions based on their reviews and it proved to be impossible. I am not familiar with the viking but I can tell you a few places we stayed at when we first arrived in MB and they were all fine.

1) Hotel Blue (S. Ocean Blvd) - it is nothing fancy but it doesn't sound like you are looking for the taj mahal - it is very inexpensive and from our experience clean and bug free

2) Atlantic III - (North Ocean Blvd) (there are a few but I think we stayed at Atlantic III) I don't think you will find them on expedia but you can find them at atlanticcoastresorts.com The online rates seem higher than they should be so if you are interested you might want to call and check for specials. We stayed (5 of us) for 17 days in October and paid less than 500 total. This is a great example of mixed messages on tripadvisor. This place had horrible reviews from many people and we absolutely loved it ... go figure

3) Bayview Resort - (North Ocean Blvd) - probably the most expensive of all three but still having great deals because of the time of year and also because there is construction of the boardwalk going on right outside. If that won't bother you then I can tell you that the 3 bedroom suites are very roomy. I don't know how many are in your group but the 3 bedroom has one bedroom with a king, two bedroom with two doubles each, and a pull out sofa.

There really are super deals right now. I hope you have a terrific trip!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,188 times
Default cheap hotel rates

Myrtle Beach is in its "off season" right now. Being a tourist city, Myrtle Beach has also been affected significantly with the down turn in the economy. I am not aware of any Oceanfront Hotels that would be in the "shady" part of town. I think that the hotels and any tourist related business would be offering discounts just to bring business back to the beach. My opinion is they have driven off a lot of our tourist by ending the bike rallies and targeting bikers. Politics aside, it is a great place to visit.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I agree that tripadvisor and expedia are just a bundle of mixed messages. I tried to make decisions based on their reviews and it proved to be impossible. I am not familiar with the viking but I can tell you a few places we stayed at when we first arrived in MB and they were all fine.

1) Hotel Blue (S. Ocean Blvd) - it is nothing fancy but it doesn't sound like you are looking for the taj mahal - it is very inexpensive and from our experience clean and bug free

2) Atlantic III - (North Ocean Blvd) (there are a few but I think we stayed at Atlantic III) I don't think you will find them on expedia but you can find them at atlanticcoastresorts.com The online rates seem higher than they should be so if you are interested you might want to call and check for specials. We stayed (5 of us) for 17 days in October and paid less than 500 total. This is a great example of mixed messages on tripadvisor. This place had horrible reviews from many people and we absolutely loved it ... go figure

3) Bayview Resort - (North Ocean Blvd) - probably the most expensive of all three but still having great deals because of the time of year and also because there is construction of the boardwalk going on right outside. If that won't bother you then I can tell you that the 3 bedroom suites are very roomy. I don't know how many are in your group but the 3 bedroom has one bedroom with a king, two bedroom with two doubles each, and a pull out sofa.

There really are super deals right now. I hope you have a terrific trip!
Thanks so much, had not checked in a couple days and was a nice suprise to see a reply with such detail. dead on in your comment that you were guessing we do not need a palace, just as you said, clean and bug free. I have given up on tripadvisor or expedia comments. Literally half of every reaonable priced hotel or motels is rated good, other half of reviews is describing each as a dive.
I dont get how am definitely not a picky person but at same time i would never ever accept any signs of uncleanliness or disorder and yet i may like or even love a place and some go on about how bad it is. Even my friend said i shared the viking ratings with my wife and she does not want me to die, lets go somewhere else.
Funny thing? He suggests a place he and his wife loved and stayed at before...and the reviews online are half good and half horrible too funny, he shoots down the place i found and his suggestion says its dirty, next to a strip club, amenities out of order, general lack of hygiene.

I especially like your description of your first cheap option and will check em out.
thanks so much!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 13,866 times
Hi Iam visting myrtle beach in March and I was thinking about staying at the gazebo inn has anyone ever stayed there or know anything about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area