Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 27,295 times

Advertisements

I've lived here all my life and never encountered anything like this. my advice to you is that if you're having such a bad experience go to the school board(BTW, I'm sorry this has happened) and look for another county to move to. A huge reason for why the "outsiders" are disliked a lot of times b/c so many notherners have moved down here and expected us to ADAPT to the way they like things such as the banks being open on the weekends. I work in retail and we are treated so rudely by 80% of the northeners that come down here. How are we supposed to know that some people are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 13,939 times
From our small town atmosphere and emphasis on family, to the successful international companies who call Conway home, the community is one in which you will truly love to live, play, work and do business.
Here is some info I found you might enjoy! I live in Conway have been here for about a year and love it!

About the City of Conway

Conway is one of the oldest towns in South Carolina. Originally named Kingston, the town was created in 1734 as part of the Royal Governor Robert Johnson’s Township Scheme.
Conway’s past has been proudly preserved. The historic sites trails map lists 39 historic sites, significant buildings, and distinctive homes. Seventeen of these sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Conway has also earned the distinctions of A City of Character and Tree City USA.
For more information about the City of Conway and the municipal government, visit [URL="http://www.cityofconway.com/"]www.cityofconway.com[/URL].

Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM

23 posts, read 52,903 times
I have also lived in Conway for almost all of my life and I'm sorry that this happened. But, think back to when you were in school, kids then were cruel just as they are now. I know they were when I was in school, and this kind of situation would happen in ANY school in the USA. Conway is one of the BETTER communities in the area. Anytime there is a NEW student, especially one who is challenged in some way physically or mentally, children tend to react this way. That is why as parents it is our job and duty to teach our children to be respectful to others and always embrace the new student or one that is challenged. Those uncivilized children at the school you were talking were probably from one of the bad EGG schools. I'm sorry about your experience but someone else my not find themselves running into your same situation. I take great pride in my community because it is one of the best around. It is very diverse and welcoming. Like I said, there are bad eggs and they are not representative to the rest of the City. But like anywhere you go, you will find the same thing. Just stay positive and you will find the right place for you and your family. As to the person who started this Thread, I feel that you should first visit Conway 2 times for a weekend before you make your decision. Walk down Main Street and the River Walk, take a river tour, Go look around some of our neighborhoods and you will find that if someone is in their front yard you can usually walk right up to them and ask them questions about our City. That is the best way to find out more about a community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhlynne View Post
In July my family and I moved here to Conway from Maryland. It has been the worst experience in our entire lives. Rather than experiencing "warm, southern hospitality", we have discovered that here in this county where everyone knows everyone and everyone went to school with everyone else, outsiders are kept as outsiders.
My son attends one of the Elementary schools here in this "warm christian community". From literally day one he has been ostracized and bullied for no other reason than he can not stand flat on his feet due to a medical condition. One child smeared saliva onto my son's desk, my son has been slapped, hit, pushed, verbally bullied, and jabbed in his neck on one of his "pressure points" by another child. When one boy attempted to hit my son in his stomach, my son- as taught in karate class- blocked the attempt only to have the teacher call him hard headed! My every attempt to communicate with the teachers and finally the principal of this school has been met simply with silence. I have gone to the school several times and nothing is ever done to these hatefull children. A new teacher, from another state, joined the faculty a few weeks after school started and even he told me that he is having a hard time being accepted by the other 4th grade teachers. One telling incident was where a parent, against the school board rules, brought in cupcakes. This new teacher, my son is in his class now, refused to pass the cupcakes out. One of the other teachers told him: "you better pass them out. It is better not to **** off the parents than worry about doing something that the school board will never find out about!" 8 weeks into his being at the school, he still doesn't even have a dictionary in his classroom. The quality of the teaching is extremely poor, for example in Spelling one of the homework assignments is for the children to draw pictures and put the spelling words into the pictures. The pictures that the kids draw have nothing to do with the words!
Additionally, the neighborhood we moved into has been less than ideal as well. The people who live on one side of us let their 2 children just wander at will. The little girl is only 4 years old and her mother literally doesn't know where the child is. Both the little girl and her brother (aged 7) just started walking into our home without invitation, call from their mother, or even knocking. I walked out of my bedroom one night after taking a bath and there was the 7 year old standing in my kitchen! The mother would then leave her kids at my house and leave in her car, expecting me to babysit with no idea when she would return. Several of my son's toys went mysteriously missing when the little girl was here. When my husband finally said something to the father of these two children. They got mad at us! Now it is horribly uncomfortable even to walk outside when they are there. I'm not exactly sure how we are in the wrong. Also, the people who sold us our current home lied extensively on the Seller's Disclosure. We weren't in the house a month and we had to shell out almost $5000.00 to replace one of the two air conditioning units. On the Disclosure the owners stated that both units were the same age as the house, 7 years. Upon inspection we found that one unit was 14 years old and the other was 15 years old! When we tried to get more information about the units, we discovered that the serial numbers had been carefully cut off the label both inside and outside of both unit. Wonder why? Right after we spent all that money on the air conditioning, we were sitting in the kitchen during some rain and imagine our shock when we realized that the water was coming through the kitchen ceiling, running down the chain of our light fixture and dripping onto the table! The water was coming through the ceiling in 2 separate places. Going up into the attic, we saw that someone had secured a bucket in the trusses because of the water leaks in the roof. When we confronted the previous owners they just kept saying that they were good christians. Also, talking about schools, know that there are no after school clubs for the children. Where we came from there were a variety of fun things for the kids, lego club, chess club, indoor soccer, etc. Here there is only a bible class. In a public school. Horry County's (Where Conway is located) reading and math scores are low. There is a 15 year old boy who lives next door to us (on the other side from the rude people). He can barely read, did not know what a Coroner was when my husband said the word in a conversation. My 10 year old reads out loud better than this 15 year old. It is my opinion that this is a friendly place for tourists. If you think you are going to move here and just live your new life, it is way more complicated than that. If you have children and if you are concerned about their education DO NOT MOVE HERE!! My husband and I are very disillusioned with this place. We are seriously considering moving away from here. My son is being tormented, on Sunday nights he cries because he faces going back to school the next day. The school is not going to do anything about it because they are not going to risk making their own mad. This school issue extends far from just the school my son attends. The middle school he would be expected to attend next is so bad that one year the school its self actually gave parents the option of sending their children to a different school. That middle school is known for violence. Just recently, a 5th grader was caught in a different elementary school with a gun. That child is now on house arrest, with an ankle bracelet. 5th grade. The State Report Card from the NCLB AYP Summary shows that the AYP objectives have not been met, only 73 percent graduated in 2006, and overall student preformance has not been met. I hate it here. If I can keep just one person from making the mistake of moving here to Horry County South Carolina then I will be very glad. This is no place for children. I have nothing good to say other than that it is a nice place to visit, but you do not want to live here. Also, before you consider moving here you'd best check to see if you can get insurance for your home, in addition, you need to check and see if you will be able to find a doctor who takes your insurance. That is another serious problem for us down here. My husband has been in a union for his whole life. We have a union plan that is not taken here. Only a couple of weeks after we got here my son woke up in the middle of the night moaning in pain from an ear infection. I had no peditrician yet and found out the hard way that there is no Urgent Care center, or Night Time Pediactrics I could go to a midnight. I ended up taking him to the ER. We got a $465.00 bill for the ER, a separate bill from the ER doctor for $265.00. She misdiagnosed him, saying he had an inner ear infection and prescribed a very mild dosage of antibiotic. 8 days later he was still in so much pain that I took him to a doctor who said that the antibiotic could have been twice as much, but it wouldn't have helped him because he had swimmer's ear and needed antibiotic drops. The ear infection finally cleared up, but that ear infection cost us almost $1000.00!
Recently in the news there was a piece that stated that South Carolina is number one in the country for crime.
Please don't move here. This place is hell. Go somewhere else before it is too late.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
FYI - OP was from 2006.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 AM

8 posts, read 23,785 times
Smile Living in Conway

Hello,
My husband and I and our 21 yr. old son moved to Conway 2-1/2 years ago from NE Ohio. Reading some of the more negative responses about the Grand Strand (North Myrtle Beach, Myrtle Beach & Conway), I can't believe they're talking about this area!
Conway is very nice and not just an extention of Myrtle Beach. It's the county seat and has nice amenities. The Riverwalk & Kingston Park are nice and include a marina. The historic downtown has some nice specialty shops for fun browsing and unique items. A very large & beautiful library has just been built. We have Walmart, K-mart, Goody's, Belks, Food Lion, Applebee's, Shoney's.......There isn't much traffic and it has a wonderful historic, rivertown feel. If you want more it's only 15-20 minutes straight down Rt 501 to everything that Myrtle Beach has to offer--great shopping, the beach, Broadway quality shows....And traffic is not a problem for anyone that ever lived in an area other than strictly rural (my neighbor finds traffic bad, but then she worries about driving on roads that have more than two lanes!). Crime is also not an issue to anybody that's lived other than in the rural south--we're already used to more than what's here. Conway has nice houses for reasonable prices. Insurance is also reasonable because you're inland a bit. Evacuations for hurricanes is really a nonissue for Conway. We're planning to move to Charleston in the future only because my husbands Ohio State Pension Insurance has more providers for health coverage that are on our plan. We have used the Conway Medical for an emergency and it was great. The Grand Strand Medical is also excellent. Conway in my opinion is a great choice--convenient for everyday life and minutes from the beach. I hope this helps you. I remember how unnverved I got every time some one else would post a really negative comment. Best of luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 53,486 times
Oh, my gosh!!!! I am SOOO sorry to hear about your horrible experiences! How awful. Well, I DID think about looking for a teaching job in this county; however, after reading what you had to say, I think I may now reconsider! Maybe I should stay in NC since I am happy here anyway. I wish you the best of luck. Sounds to me like a move would be in your best interest. Try NC! I think you'd be better off here!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhlynne View Post
In July my family and I moved here to Conway from Maryland. It has been the worst experience in our entire lives. Rather than experiencing "warm, southern hospitality", we have discovered that here in this county where everyone knows everyone and everyone went to school with everyone else, outsiders are kept as outsiders.
My son attends one of the Elementary schools here in this "warm christian community". From literally day one he has been ostracized and bullied for no other reason than he can not stand flat on his feet due to a medical condition. One child smeared saliva onto my son's desk, my son has been slapped, hit, pushed, verbally bullied, and jabbed in his neck on one of his "pressure points" by another child. When one boy attempted to hit my son in his stomach, my son- as taught in karate class- blocked the attempt only to have the teacher call him hard headed! My every attempt to communicate with the teachers and finally the principal of this school has been met simply with silence. I have gone to the school several times and nothing is ever done to these hatefull children. A new teacher, from another state, joined the faculty a few weeks after school started and even he told me that he is having a hard time being accepted by the other 4th grade teachers. One telling incident was where a parent, against the school board rules, brought in cupcakes. This new teacher, my son is in his class now, refused to pass the cupcakes out. One of the other teachers told him: "you better pass them out. It is better not to **** off the parents than worry about doing something that the school board will never find out about!" 8 weeks into his being at the school, he still doesn't even have a dictionary in his classroom. The quality of the teaching is extremely poor, for example in Spelling one of the homework assignments is for the children to draw pictures and put the spelling words into the pictures. The pictures that the kids draw have nothing to do with the words!
Additionally, the neighborhood we moved into has been less than ideal as well. The people who live on one side of us let their 2 children just wander at will. The little girl is only 4 years old and her mother literally doesn't know where the child is. Both the little girl and her brother (aged 7) just started walking into our home without invitation, call from their mother, or even knocking. I walked out of my bedroom one night after taking a bath and there was the 7 year old standing in my kitchen! The mother would then leave her kids at my house and leave in her car, expecting me to babysit with no idea when she would return. Several of my son's toys went mysteriously missing when the little girl was here. When my husband finally said something to the father of these two children. They got mad at us! Now it is horribly uncomfortable even to walk outside when they are there. I'm not exactly sure how we are in the wrong. Also, the people who sold us our current home lied extensively on the Seller's Disclosure. We weren't in the house a month and we had to shell out almost $5000.00 to replace one of the two air conditioning units. On the Disclosure the owners stated that both units were the same age as the house, 7 years. Upon inspection we found that one unit was 14 years old and the other was 15 years old! When we tried to get more information about the units, we discovered that the serial numbers had been carefully cut off the label both inside and outside of both unit. Wonder why? Right after we spent all that money on the air conditioning, we were sitting in the kitchen during some rain and imagine our shock when we realized that the water was coming through the kitchen ceiling, running down the chain of our light fixture and dripping onto the table! The water was coming through the ceiling in 2 separate places. Going up into the attic, we saw that someone had secured a bucket in the trusses because of the water leaks in the roof. When we confronted the previous owners they just kept saying that they were good christians. Also, talking about schools, know that there are no after school clubs for the children. Where we came from there were a variety of fun things for the kids, lego club, chess club, indoor soccer, etc. Here there is only a bible class. In a public school. Horry County's (Where Conway is located) reading and math scores are low. There is a 15 year old boy who lives next door to us (on the other side from the rude people). He can barely read, did not know what a Coroner was when my husband said the word in a conversation. My 10 year old reads out loud better than this 15 year old. It is my opinion that this is a friendly place for tourists. If you think you are going to move here and just live your new life, it is way more complicated than that. If you have children and if you are concerned about their education DO NOT MOVE HERE!! My husband and I are very disillusioned with this place. We are seriously considering moving away from here. My son is being tormented, on Sunday nights he cries because he faces going back to school the next day. The school is not going to do anything about it because they are not going to risk making their own mad. This school issue extends far from just the school my son attends. The middle school he would be expected to attend next is so bad that one year the school its self actually gave parents the option of sending their children to a different school. That middle school is known for violence. Just recently, a 5th grader was caught in a different elementary school with a gun. That child is now on house arrest, with an ankle bracelet. 5th grade. The State Report Card from the NCLB AYP Summary shows that the AYP objectives have not been met, only 73 percent graduated in 2006, and overall student preformance has not been met. I hate it here. If I can keep just one person from making the mistake of moving here to Horry County South Carolina then I will be very glad. This is no place for children. I have nothing good to say other than that it is a nice place to visit, but you do not want to live here. Also, before you consider moving here you'd best check to see if you can get insurance for your home, in addition, you need to check and see if you will be able to find a doctor who takes your insurance. That is another serious problem for us down here. My husband has been in a union for his whole life. We have a union plan that is not taken here. Only a couple of weeks after we got here my son woke up in the middle of the night moaning in pain from an ear infection. I had no peditrician yet and found out the hard way that there is no Urgent Care center, or Night Time Pediactrics I could go to a midnight. I ended up taking him to the ER. We got a $465.00 bill for the ER, a separate bill from the ER doctor for $265.00. She misdiagnosed him, saying he had an inner ear infection and prescribed a very mild dosage of antibiotic. 8 days later he was still in so much pain that I took him to a doctor who said that the antibiotic could have been twice as much, but it wouldn't have helped him because he had swimmer's ear and needed antibiotic drops. The ear infection finally cleared up, but that ear infection cost us almost $1000.00!
Recently in the news there was a piece that stated that South Carolina is number one in the country for crime.
Please don't move here. This place is hell. Go somewhere else before it is too late.
Holy cow.....did you not get a home inspection before you bought the house?
Not all SC is like where you live. Fort Mill/Tega Cay have the best school system in the entire state. You may wish to look in this area. Neighbors can be crummy no matter where you are from. Just as an example, I think from personal experience Maryland people are kind of rude...but I'm sure most of them are not. Meaning, you may have moved into a neighbor hood without really checking into it, moved into a community without checking the schools, and finding out what kind of medical opportunities you would have with your husband's job change.

These are things one should do BEFORE they move to another state. It sounds like unfortunately for you and your family, research was lacking.
Never EVER take what a home seller is telling you as the gospel truth.
Always always get a home inspection.

I've lived in 3 states, I've been all over the country, I love SC. I also did some research before I bought. And even though my son is way pass school age, I made sure I bought in one of the best school districts...just for possible resale down the road.

You've had some problems, I feel bad for you, but some of those problems seem like they could have been averted.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,716 times
Just another FYI: This post a year and 1/2 old. The person that had the negative experience in Conway last posted in 12/07. She's probably not reading your comments

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 17,743 times
I'm considering moving to Conway and I'm very scared. My husband is from Myrtle Beach, but I've lived in New York all my life. All of my family is here, but children are dying on the streets here more & more every day so I think it would be in the best interest of my son to move some where that's a little less infested w/drugs and crime.
I've read both good & bad things about Conway on this blog.
Is anyone familiar w/Georgetown?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM

35 posts, read 140,326 times
How is crime in Conway? Are there gated communities in Conway to live in where the houses are not on top of each other? Under 200K? Retiring soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area