Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 31,771 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have really enjoyed reading the posts on CD. You're an interesting group, funny, witty and straight forward. (Esp. love posts from Rapture. Pawleysdude, CTYankee54 & vrexy-just a few names I remember).
This is a great site for research and learning "before you leap."
I have for quite sometime wanted to move South. For the last fews years, every chance I get I do a road trip (Wilm, NC., Savannah, Georgetown, Charleston, MB-off season) and I have an interest in the Conway area, which will be my next road trip.
I raised four sons, sold my home 2 years ago and would like to be Coastal and warm.
I come from a small town near the Mason Dixon, was raised on a dairy farm, yet lived a few summers at the beach.
I understand the "duck & weave" of tourist time; love the country, yet also like to have options of things to do (Check out music/bands, entertainment, outdoor things etc.)
I understand it's important to have employment prior to moving, which I am working on.
So, are there any specific places you all would suggest when I come down to see?
to not see?
I want to spend several days in Conway, yet will check out the surrounding areas?
What would you say the "vibe" (pardon if that sounds stupid) of Conway is?
Conservative? Eccletic? Does it have a slight college town feel due to CCC?
Will be driving, yet also would like/need to find out if MB Airport flies to Philly or Baltimore?
Of course now that I finally decided to post, I am drawing a blank.
So thanks ahead of time for any and all feed back.
Best Regards,
SBL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
SBL-first, thanks for the kind comments. We all try to help when we can.

I mentioned in another post that we stayed at the The Moore Farmhouse when we came down to explore Conway. It was delightful and the owners went out of their way to show us around Conway and educate us on the town. It's a good option if you don't mind paying a bit more for the room.

We ultimately chose to live in Socastee rather than Conway so my observations are based on our limited exposure...we do shop there occasionally and go to their parades, theater, etc. The downtown area on Conway is more of a typical small southern town. I wouldn't say there a college vibe in the downtown although you do see the influences in some of the restaurants (visit the Crafty Rooster for CCU influence Crafty Rooster Bar & Grill). The CCU campus is actually a several miles from the downtown are of Conway...you should check out that area as well.

Overall, I'd consider Conway conservative (like most of SC).

Yes, MB airport has flights to Philly and Baltimore although you might have a connecting flight.

As far a what to check out...it depends on what's important to you. You might want to check out the Conway Library and they just build a town owned gym/fitness center. Be sure and visit their River Walk and parks and take the tour of the city oak trees...very pretty. They have a nice theater group....if they are performing, you might catch a show. And check out the downtown shopping. For housing, you can look near the downtown area but there are many developments "in the country" part of Conway...again...depends on what you're looking for.

Don't know if you're using Conway as your base and looking at things outside Conway or not. So, other things to recommend to check out would depend on what you're plans are.

Hope this helps. If you provide more insight, perhaps we can help more.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:02 AM

43 posts, read 114,321 times
Default Myrtle Beach Airport

Myrtle Beach Airport Wikipedia article says there are direct flights to Philly (and Allentown) but not Baltimore. Try a search on Kayak to see what your options are to Baltimore.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Spirit Airlines has flights into Philly and they are a reasonable airline. Direct Air has closed up but they had some good direct flights. Alligent has direct flights to Allentown. Amongst other airlines that fly in and out one being Delta.

Conway is a charming town. We love to stop with family and go to the Crafty Rooster for lunch. We also attend the festivals there and that makes for a fun day. I really don't run across that many college students around town, I am betting they head east to the ocean for fun times.

We also chose Socastee, there are quite a few nice developments in the area. Socastee is placed right near the new Target, Marshalls, Petco, Pet Smart and other brand new stores opening soon. Actually they still have jobs available in
the new Target about ready to open this week.

This area is a bit more peaceful then the busy beach area and that is what we sincerely like. A few areas this way to check would be Brandy Mills, Glenmere, or Lake Park Plantation. Many in Lake Park are on the lagoon which is wonderful for checking shore birds out.

I thought I would miss a townlike feel but we are so close to shopping of all kinds that I love the location.
Lowes Foods, BiLo Foods, Lowes, Kohls, Ross, Target, Marshalls etc. all just minutes away. Plus wonderful restraunts like
Scartori's, Bob Evans, Zaxby's etc.

Best of luck to you. Conway its self is a charming town, with little shops and just your typical little town feel. Relaxed and comfortable. They have their own theaters and many stores you'd need also.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the replies and the info.
Will try a search on Kayak & see what I can find out.
As far as providing more insight, to help more, here goes, 'cause I believe feedback (good or bad) is huge in making an informed decision (Decisions, Decisions)....

I spent several years looking into Savannah (love the place), yet changed up for several reasons:
1. Dad (91) says too hot! (He lives in Daytona) says people from GA go to FLA to vaca from the heat
2. A cousin who lives in HH intro'd me to a friend who does rentals there as an investment (a possible interest) and dug deeper and had hesitancies on some of my findings
3. An eye opener as to distance from home; on my way to HH & SAV last July 4th my older sister called me and gave me very bad news; she was diagnosed with cancer and given 3-6. A realization came to me that when I make this move, I need to keep in mind...family and if the need were to arise to get home, MB area is a lesser distance than the more southern points.
...I have found when you lose a loved one, perspectives change (thought about putting in my 2weeks notice and just say hwi and roll, as we are not promised tomorrow), yet since I am a fairly rational and methodical person, I am back to doing my research, making plans and sending out resumes.

I noted where Rapture previously posted on another thread, regarding Conway as a place to live, "no offense to anyone but I would not say Conway" and I greatly appreciate that info which is why I will check it out soon for myself. I get her points made, yet I come from a town pop like 4k and Conway is around 16k I believe and I get tired of driving 45 minutes to get to anything of "real" interest .
Rapture had listed some great pubs, breweries, heck that's a far more than we have around here

I am open to seeing other areas (loved Murrels Inlet when I drove up from Gtown, ate at Russells) and would check out Socaste. Checked out Charleston last year (didn't do much for me), yet loved Bluffton area and Jasper county (yet the distance thing). Was hoping Conway had a bit of a Bluffton vibe.

So as I said, decisions, decisions, yet just wanting to be as informed as possible,
Thanks,
SBL

Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Summering, thanks so much for the info. I had not read your post before hitting submit
Sorry, for spelling Socastee incorrectly...

Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM

36 posts, read 111,179 times
I moved to Conway a year ago and rented a very nice home on a golf course in a 55+ development for 6 months. Although I liked the home it was just a little too quiet at times. I found that I didn't have much in common with the people as they were all retired and I'm still working. I love the downtown, it has that southern charm that I was looking for. You must check out the Riverwalk like the others mentioned and the theater is acutally very good so if you get the chance you should see a production. Althought it is a college town I didn't find it to be the typical college town with students everywhere, they head towards the beach for activities. I found that I did the same thing on my time off so when I found a place to "land" it was in Garden City/Surfside area and I drive back to Conway for my job. I decided that I didn't move 700 miles to be that far from the beach and it's activities. The best advice that I can give you is to find a short term rental until you really get a feel for the area. The Carolina Forest area might be a place to start out, there are many places to find a short term condo rentals but be careful some I didn't feel safe and others were too much money for too little space. The best advice I can give you is to drive around and see all that the area has to offer before deciding. And speaking of driving be prepared to get used to the traffic and the fact that you will have a commute to anywhere you want to go. Just sit back and enjoy the ride it doesn't take long to settle into the routine if you set your mind to it, however stay clear of having to use route 501 daily if at all possible. Good luck

Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Yes, I would definately rent in the area, before making a decision and/or I have even seen some "house share" options that I might consider (I did that for years with college/ exchange students).
Funny, I have never rented, I have owned a home since I was 19 (am 49 now) and would just as soon buy a small property in todays market than rent (cost) yet rent or house share I will do.

Never been big on the idea of living within a development, yet in town living with some space would be okay.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 AM

36 posts, read 111,179 times
The other thing that I found different here is that vertually no one advertises in the local newspaper for housing or much else. If you want to find someplace or something you will need to check out the inernet and/or Craigslist. I too have always owned my own home so it didn't take me very long to find a place of my own to buy.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM

194 posts, read 748,448 times
Don't know that Conway would be much 'cooler' than Savannah. In general the closer you are to the beach the cooler your summer heat will seem if you can catch a breeze.
As mentioned CCU is not near 'downtown' Conway so it is not a 'college' town like others that have in town campuses.
If you are going for a 'country' location close to the beach Conway or Longs (Hwy 9 - just outside Little River/NMB) might be an option as long as your commute doesn't matter. It might be easier to get the job and then decide on where you want to live since 501 can be difficult at times with heavy traffic.
As mentioned Socastee is a good central location with easy access to lots of Myrtle Beach attractions, shopping & the airport. Living outside a development might be difficult but there are some nice neighborhoods and Surfside is worth a look too and is centrally located.
Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area