Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:10 PM

96 posts, read 220,542 times

Advertisements

There is one in the pond in front of the Hampton Inn (Willbrook/17) in Litchfield. Too bad but I think its on his way to being a naughty gator due to the uninformed feeding it. It comes over as soon as people walk over to the waters edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times
Southbound Lady...We have visited the area for ten years and live her full time now. The only wild alligators we have seen is in the state park or on the bank of one golf course, in North Carolina. The one in NC just sits there every year as the golfers swing in the background.
Other then that I have a canal in the back of my home and there is just ducks, birds, and turtles.
If you are totally afraid of the thought of an alligator, I'd just be sure to have a fenced in back yard.

I feel we have four seasons here. The trees have gorgeous colors in the fall. Winter brings some bare trees and less greenage but still there is enough around so as it doesn't appear so grey. Springs brings flowers and new buds and Summer is wonderfully warm and swimming weather. There is time of brownish grass but not for long.

Conway, which I read in your first post is a really cute town. Although it is a distance from the ocean it certainly is
quite an interesting town center. It seems to have grown over the years and it has all the stores one would need
for the most part.

Do we miss the North? We get to see mountains enough when we travel back that way.
Sometimes there has been at least one small snow storm here in Myrtle that makes for one happy winter day.
Winter is cool enough to feel like winter without a lot of strong storms and big snowfalls. You can still head out to
a tree farm to look for a tree to cut down. Although my big surprise was the different types here, then we used up North, for our Christmas tree.

You might like Socastee if you want to be closer to the beach. Its a quiet area and close to many big box stores.

Forestbrook road has some nice home areas. There are plenty nice home developments off of 707.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM

36 posts, read 111,259 times
SBL I typed a long message but somehow it dissappeared so if it comes through twice ignore it. I just wanted to say that I've been here a year and just now starting to feel like a local myself..it's taken that long for some people to accept me and not think of me as a Yankee. There have been ups and downs but if I hadn't had a good job (transfered here) before I came it would have been near impossible to make it. I still go to the beach and say to myself "I can't believe I really live here", I couldn't go back north for good, this is my life and my home now. I can tell you that I absolutly love Garden City, started out in Conway but soon realized that I didn't move 700 miles away to be that far from the beach. I now live here and drive to Conway for work.

Take head about what they say about the DMV...3 trips and several hundred dollars later I finally have a SC drivers license. Even if you are old as dirt and married forever they still want to know why your name is different from your birth certificate...lol.. take a marriage license if it applies..I can't believe I found mine in the mess of the move. Also they won't accept a lease agreememt for proof of residency, will need utility bill or car insurance bill. No one told me about the big auto tax either, mine was over $250 for a 2006 automobile.

Oh and the cold... 40-50's...it didn't take me long to get used to the warm weather and start complaining myself when it hit 40's...I would have killed for that temp up north in the winter...guess I really am a local.

Good luck hope your move goes well and you end up loving it as much as me. Just remember that it will take a while before it all smooths out and you fully adjust, don't give up and run back north.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,784,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southboundlady View Post
Hello All,
I have really enjoyed reading the posts on CD. You're an interesting group, funny, witty and straight forward. (Esp. love posts from Rapture. Pawleysdude, CTYankee54 & vrexy-just a few names I remember).
This is a great site for research and learning "before you leap."
I have for quite sometime wanted to move South. For the last fews years, every chance I get I do a road trip (Wilm, NC., Savannah, Georgetown, Charleston, MB-off season) and I have an interest in the Conway area, which will be my next road trip.
I raised four sons, sold my home 2 years ago and would like to be Coastal and warm.
I come from a small town near the Mason Dixon, was raised on a dairy farm, yet lived a few summers at the beach.
I understand the "duck & weave" of tourist time; love the country, yet also like to have options of things to do (Check out music/bands, entertainment, outdoor things etc.)
I understand it's important to have employment prior to moving, which I am working on.
So, are there any specific places you all would suggest when I come down to see?
to not see?
I want to spend several days in Conway, yet will check out the surrounding areas?
What would you say the "vibe" (pardon if that sounds stupid) of Conway is?
Conservative? Eccletic? Does it have a slight college town feel due to CCC?
Will be driving, yet also would like/need to find out if MB Airport flies to Philly or Baltimore?
Of course now that I finally decided to post, I am drawing a blank.
So thanks ahead of time for any and all feed back.
Best Regards,
SBL
Hi SBL, Not sure what others have posted and don't have time to read but I guess I'll give my opinion too. To answer your questions: Vibe is spread out, Conway is a large town with different areas. There's over by the college with a few bars and condos complexes that have a "college vibe" but aside from that not much. That's also close to the hospital and a 55+ neighborhood so not sure how "college vibe" it can get, lol. There's the downtown area, which has a few nice shops and restaurants but not really "happening" or anything, aside from traffic going through, they don't get a lot of foot traffic. They do have some festivals throughout the year, some are good and some are worth going maybe once. I know several people that own businesses in town and a few months ago almost opened one myself and from what I hear the conservative, older minded people that make the decsions are not very pro business or creative when it comes to bringing business to town. Riverwalk has some festivals also but it's small and after being there 6 or 7 times, it's kinda like been there, done that...nothing exciting. Houses around downtown are very nice/historical and nice to drive around. There are a handful of nice sub-divsions spread out around Conway, in between them are some not so nice areas. Then theres a large rural area of Conway. I came from living practically on the beach and 20 minutes to NYC so I had everything at my fingertips. I now live in Conway so everything seems small and far away. I'm not saying it against the town, I'm just saying it's what you are used to and what you are looking for. I would suggest if living in Conway to live in a sub-division where there are at least some rules, otherwise anything goes which can be annoying. I guess unless you plan to be annoying yourself, lol! Conway is conservative but I consider this whole area to be conservative. Heck, none of my neighbors even drink but thats ok if it's what you're looking for. As far as flights, don't know but you can easily find that out by going on Expedia, Priceline or any of those types of sites. Honestly, if I can do it over I would move to Charleston....no offense anyone. If I were to do it over and be here, I would go to Surfside or Murrells Inlet. This is just my preference but I'm not really into "country" living so depends on what you want. At the same time Conway is not that far from everything, I'm just used to everything being 5 minutes not 30. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 31,798 times
Thank you Rapture for the input.
It looks like I may lean towards working in the Conway area and living moreso outside of town; closer to the beach. Glad to hear all feedback regarding Conway.
I had considered Charleston, yet it would have to be the outskirts.
Liked the Bluffton area (of course much farther south)
I do like the country, yet with options (entertainment etc. fairly close by)

It would make sense as CHOZZ stated to come 700 miles and not live near the beach; with the exception of concerns over storms/hurricanes etc.
I haven't researched that aspect yet to see how the MB area has fared.

Also as Conway has been described as a bit of a pass through town and I can imagine a parking lot during peak times, would not be my cup of tea, although I still will definately check it out when I am down.

I did just out of curiosity look at a few houses online in the Murrels Inlet area and noticed some say they are in Georgetown County and another says Horry; I'm taking that the line splits Murrels Inlet?
I am thinking that Georgetown County might be lesser on the tax side?

Vrexy, how was Russell's? Curious as I ate there when I was down in November and it looked like they may have been struggling a bit? Lots in the bar area, yet not many patrons. A friend suggested I check it out when I was down.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
SBL ~ Russell's dining room and parking lot were both packed. We actually ate in the bar area because we didn't want to wait 40 min. for a table. (This was on Monday eve.)

Russell treated us to an appetizer platter which was delicious. I had the shrimp creole - meh! Wouldn't order that again. My brother and husband had a shrimp platter and a shrimp and scallop platter, respectively. Both were very good.

Maybe when you went it was empty due to being in the off season.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Try Socastee and actually the area mail and addresses go under Myrtle Beach. On 544 and not far from Conway is a couple of nice developments. Easy enough for you to work at Conway. Try Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation. Both really placed well for the beach ( 8 min) and for shopping. We have a Bi Los and a Lowes food close by. Lowes hardware is very close and so is the brand new Target.
Taxes are great. Your flood insurance will also cost. All of that is much more in the Northern states so you'll be happy with the pricing here.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,187 times
New poster so late to this thread. My wife and I are CCU grads and my family has been here (on my grandmother's side) since the early 1800's. We love Conway. We currently live in Winston-Salem (which we also love) but are looking to move back. It is a small town with everything you need. If you can't find what you need, what you want is a short trip away. Housing is inexpensive for the area and people are very friendly. Conway is getting more CCU friendly by the year. I can remember a few years ago when people would say, "CCU in Myrtle Beach" when it is actually in Conway. Now people recognize the importance of the university to the town and visa verse. Anyway, the riverwalk is where I proposed to my wife and is where my great, great grandfather worked in the lumber industry. Conway is a beautiful town with wonderful people.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Very nice story ASUsnare. I think Conway is a cute, charming town. Your proposal on the riverwalk sounds so romantic.
Isn't that sweet.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 11,239 times
Chozz "nice home on a golf course in a 55+ development in Conway" what was the name of it please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area