Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM

161 posts, read 330,655 times

Advertisements

Your sound a lot like us, wanting to move from the cold north to the south. Our daughter graduated from CCU last May and has remained in Conway. We live in Frederick MD and travel down every couple of months--one of these times it will be a permanent trip! We have decided we want to move to the Murrels Inlet area and will do so as soon as we possibly can! As far as flying goes, there is no easy way to fly between Myrtle Beach and Baltimore, believe me we have tried. You either have to spend more time in the air then you would in your car or it costs way way too much. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 31,812 times
Thanks again for the input.

I received a very nice private message that was a great encouragement in the decision making process.
It's good to plan, do research, visit, yet sometimes like the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It."
It's amazing how you can blink and 10 years can go by so fast
As stated, I sold my home two years ago, yet had a family matter, which was important to have me stay until recently...
Now the job search is back on and that will make a major factor in location.
I do not mind a reasonable commute, yet have been forewarned as to the 501 dilemas.

I did just see a nice house to rent in Longs (I had to look it up as it was a new name to me) and although I did not spend a lot of time there, Murrels Inlet looked like a great great area.

I do understand and agree about the flying v/s driving; I am prone to always do the latter, yet it's good to know all of my options. I am equi-distance between Philly/Baltimore, so at least having one option is a plus.

I do have an odd question for the re-located Northerners?
I do not like the cold weather of the winters, yet I do love the smell of fresh cut grass and "green" here in the summer. I do have a bit of a phobia on the gator thing, moreso I am sure it's the unknown.
So, besides a time of drought, are there areas of green? (Besides golf courses)
When I google certain areas, it often just looks brown...
What are some things that were the biggest change in your re-location process/move?
Do I need to just get over the gator thing?
(Visiting my cousin in HH last year, I told her how I like to walk in the evenings, by the end of the night (and several glasses of wine) she had me SO freaked on the gator thing and said there was no way I could walk in the evening/gators crossing from pond to pond would eat me and then she proceeds to send me pictures of gators standing upright on doors smelling the grill outback- yes, she's a trip!).

Thank you, thank you, thank you
SBL

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
I had not answered you before because I have out of town guests and I don't know very much about Conway. But to briefly address your latest concerns/questions:

Pretty much everything is green and nearly all year long. Not sure what or where you are googling these brown areas.

I have never seen an alligator in my neighborhood and neither has anyone else that I know. They are here in this area, but mostly cause no problems at all. The main place I see them is when I go to the state parks. So yes, you should get over it as you say and not worry.

I think your main concern should be getting a job and then let that dictate the areas where you might want to live. I can't imagine that you would want to live in Longs and commute to a job in Murrells Inlet or vice versa. What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Hey Lady -

"Time waits for no one..."

Trust me, fear the mighty mosquito far more than the gator. Alligators are more common away from the immediate beach area, but the hardest thing to do is to get close to one. The males are prone to travel a little during the Spring, but unless you're dressed as a female gator, they will not be interested in you. I pick and choose where I get in fresh water, but primarily their biggest desire is to stay away from humans. The only thing that would attract an alligator to food on a grill is because some idiot at that location fed them in the past. That's not only stupid, it's illegal. Usually, my only caution is if you have or get a small dog. If that's true, be careful walking them along ponds or creeks. Otherwise, the gators are not going to come looking for them.

It seems that drought is the new norm down here, although areas west of the river, such as Conway, usually get a little more rain. I've never thought of this area as being brown during the summer, but I guess it happens. Irrigation is popular, and pretty much a requirement for a consistently green lawn. The grasses are reasonably drought-tolerant, but browning out is one of their survival traits.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM

96 posts, read 220,643 times
If gators were really eating people I would be watching YouTube vids of gators eating people. All kidding a side a young man in Florida did lose an arm last month in a gator attack and it made national news. I would be more concerned about being hit by a bicycle or a golf cart than a gator. How do you feel about sharks????LOL
We have been living in the area for only a month and I can say its much more than we could of hoped for and we can not be happier. A real dream come true. This site was so informative and helpful. We were able to do tons of research so the only surprises were the good ones( great neighbors,new friends, parents thrilled with school and teachers just to name a few). Most of the posters tell it like it is from a locals perspective, both positive and negitive . Just about every frequent poster will state the importance of employment prior to moving. Best of luck on your journey and hope you find your "Best" place.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,625,618 times
Depending on the type of grass one has, it can go dormant in the winter and turn brown. But it "greens" back up again in the spring. Some yards stay green all year round depending on the type of grass. Keep in mind that Google pix are taken only occasionally and the ones you are seeing may have been taken during the winter.

Regarding the "green" here...one thing that I was most surprised at when I went back to CT last year to visit friends was how much deeper the green is there vs MB. Here, most trees, etc are a lighter shade of green than in the NE...there's nothing wrong with the color...it's just different and not as "lush" looking as the deeper greens of the NE.

Don't worry about the gator thing...your cousin is enjoying yanking your chain. There are a few gators but it's very unusual to see one. Occasionally one will end up in a retention pond but doesn't stay long for lack of food.

Biggest changes in our relocation:
1. No snow
2. Lower taxes
3. Better weather overall...more sunny days, more beautiful blue skies.
4. More extended periods of heat/humidity in the summer.
5. While some people would not agree, I find the people at DMV much friendlier here than in CT and wait times are shorter.
6. The process for registering our vehicle, obtaining our drivers license and paying car taxes is very different here. Helpful hint...if your current last name is not the same as what is on your birth certificate, be sure and bring documentation of the name change...marriage license, etc.
7. Generally, smaller grocery stores...less variety...slightly higher prices...fresh produce of generally slightly lower quality.
8. Flat. flat, flat land...no hills. I think that the highest point in Horry County right now is the sand pile that they mined from the Barefoot Landing sand pit...LOL.
9. Lower gasoline prices.
10. More bugs and spiders...I think the cold weather in the NE keeps them at bay whereas the warmer winters allow for a greater variety and quantity of bugs. It's nothing that can't be controlled, just more of them.
11. Of course, access to the beach.
12. No basements...mostly single story houses. Less storage room because of no basements. We got rid of a lot of stuff before moving here (which was a good thing) because we knew that storage was going to be an issue.
13. We spend more time going to (mostly) free concerts at various venues in the Grand Strand.
14. More involved in community and neighbors...people are generally friendlier and easier to get to know which makes it easier to get involved.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM

96 posts, read 220,643 times
If Philly is an option for flights give Atlantic City a look. It would only add about 40 minutes to your drive. Its a neat little airport with easy in easy out and cheap parking. You can get fares for $37 each way non stop with Spirit. I have used them several times. The flights are two times a day 9:45 am and 9:45 pm. It's under 2 hours from gate to gate. A word of caution with the discount carriers. Most time it is only cost effective if you are traveling very light. They will charge for carry on so use a small back pack or brief case( they do no charge if it fits under your seat). It you won't be traveling light compare what the fees are for a discount carrier vs the higher price of a major.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 31,812 times
I knew I was gonna get some flack for my gator issues
"The males are prone to travel a little during the Spring, but unless you're dressed as a female gator, they will not be interested in you."
Well I do have a female gator outfit that I usually wear when I walk my dog in the evenings, so I guess that's one less thing to pack.
I feel my cousin was pulling my chain although she delivered story after story and as mentioned they was a good bit of wine involved. (Although she was adament about not walking at night)
Yes, Seabass11 I have a shark thing too!
I do love that you stated so far that in your time there it is a dream come true; awesome!
Yes, the job search is my priority at the moment.
Vrexy-I work in the area of Workforce Investment/Development, am currently employed at a CareerLink (they are called JobLinks there) as a Career Advisor and previously was a Director of a mentoring program.
I help folks get training, tutor, do WorkKeys testing and aid folks in securing employment...bit of an oxymoron at the moment
I check SCDEW and SC SS on a regular basis and I know they have a JobLink in Conway and also many schools administer the WorkKeys.

As far as the flying from AC, I had heard that and am glad to have it verified. It wouldn't work for me personally, too far away, yet I have two sons who live in the Philadelphia area that could utilize it...if I invited them to visit...jk

***While I am thinking of it, I have a CD? It's weird if I try to return more than 1 PM in a day it gives me a message that states you are only able to send 1 pm and they list (it's a 24 hour period) the next day and time I can reply to a message. I work with computers, have checked the various settings, yet am at a loss? What am I missing here. New to forums, recently talked in to social media, any insight there would be appreciated; of course it's probably about as simply as can be.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
...There are a few gators but it's very unusual to see one. Occasionally one will end up in a retention pond but doesn't stay long for lack of food...
That depends an awfully lot upon where you hang out. Heavy development has driven them out of much of their environment in this area. They are less common east of Hwy 17, but even there, undeveloped areas with fresh or brackish water, such at the state parks and Hobcaw Barony have a very healthy alligator population. They are much more common around the river and inland freshwater ponds of any size. We were on the river one day last week and counted six in less than an hour. We weren't particularly quiet, so it's anybody's guess how many slipped quietly out of sight when they heard us coming. Particularly in the Spring, I can usually spot one or two in our neighborhood's ponds. During the heat of summer, they're a little harder to find, but they are there.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
SBL - I was looking at places to go eat dinner tonight because my brother is here visiting and I wanted to give him a choice, etc. I came across this article, which although was written several years ago is still, for the most part, very current information. I thought it was a charming article about Murrells Inlet and wanted to share it with you.

I think we are going to Russell's tonight. We love it there.

http://www.charlestonmag.com/charles...e/up_the_creek

Oh no! I had to edit this because just after posting it I found out that today is national hot dog day!

http://holidayinsights.com/moreholid.../hotdogday.htm

Maybe we should change our plans and go to Garden City:

http://www.samscornerhotdogs.com/

Hahaha! They really do have good hotdogs!

Last edited by vrexy; 07-23-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area