Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:54 AM

96 posts, read 82,559 times

Advertisements

Given current events, are vacationers still showing up?

Also, what's the environment like down there? Are bars & restaurants closed? How's the TP/bread supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 06:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
Some are still coming in but it has slowed significantly. All bars and restaurants are closed except for takeout and delivery. Events are essentially cancelled and most, if not all, theatres are closed. Carolina Opry seemed to have been the last hold out and not sure of their status. Supplies are day-to-day, with lines at some groceries first thing in the morning. Exception is hand sanitizer and N95 masks, which are both non-existent. People need to stay home. It is the only hope for this situation to eventually improve.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,425,609 times
I am headed down Palm Sunday weekend with a foursome for golf. Huge cancellations especially with the Canadian border closing as 25% of spring golfers come from there. My group hits the bars pretty hard at night but I guess that will be off the table. I am keeping an eye on the local news if they shut down the courses I’ll stay home.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,551,378 times
My community just moved back the pool opening date. Can you still social distance yourself at the public ocean beaches?

Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 AM

482 posts, read 420,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am headed down Palm Sunday weekend with a foursome for golf. .....
Pretty irresponsible, aren't we?

Old 03-20-2020, 12:23 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,397 times
Our community pool also moved our opening date. DHEC indicated that the pool chemicals would kill the virus and that people could distance themselves outside the pool but the bigger concern was keeping the pool furniture and bathrooms virus-free. Rather than take the risk, we've delayed the opening.

My wife and I went to the beach yesterday and, while the parking lot was pretty full, it was easy to keep a physical distance from others. As long as the beach is not crowded, I would have no problem returning and feeling safe.

There was a spot on the local news last night and an article in the WSJ today about golf courses and the steps they are taking to mitigate danger...more cleaning of carts between rounds, foot raking of traps, leaving the pin in while putting, no handshakes after the round, no 19th watering hole, etc. A medical professional indicated that being outside on a golf course was actually a good way to get outside in a relatively safe environment and not in a large group. Additionally, the virus survives only a few seconds when exposed to direct sunlight (so play golf on a sunny day...LOL).

Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 PM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
My community just moved back the pool opening date. Can you still social distance yourself at the public ocean beaches?
Yes as long as the spring breakers didn't descend on your beach.

I'm up in NMB and go to the beach every morning at 9am with my cup of coffee for about an hour.
Not too many people and they are social distancing. People are spread out along the beach walking and not all along the shore.

Was glad to read the Governor is sending SLED to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head to clear the beaches of Spring Breakers who are not social distancing and keeping the state beaches open for now.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
We have to fly down next weekend to follow up on a construction project and I am dreading it. If there was any way to postpone it I would but people’s jobs are on the line. I take the social isolation advice seriously so I do find it strange that anyone would be traveling for leisure at this point in time.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Police cleared the Spring Breakers off Myrtle Beach.
Hilton Head also did and closed off their beaches for 60 days
The rest of the coast is still open for now.

Got this from local news this morning.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,425,609 times
We have decided to cancel our Palm Sunday golf trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: