Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

We are heading to Oahu at the end of May for 10 nights. We are looking at renting a house in Ewa Beach for most of the time we are there and spending a couple of nights in Waikiki and a couple in Maui.

I was reading on another thread that the Aqua hotel on Ala Moana Boulevard is not in a very savoury area - we had looked at staying there. In the same thread I read that there were issues with the end near the zoo, also looking at a condo there. Now I am concerned. We haven't been to Hawaii since our honeymoon 13 years ago. Then we stayed at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani whilst in Waikiki, but obviously we didn't have children back then. I didn't have a problem with that location, but it was a long time ago.

If anyone doesn't mind, I would love to know any areas to stay clear of. Is Ewa beach okay? Where in Waikiki should we be/not be?

I loved Hawaii when I was there before and I am aware every city has good and bad areas. I would hate to be put off returning by something so small as staying a few nights in the wrong area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,610 times
HI.... I can say what Waikiki was then and is now... Huge difference. Waikiki over the last several years went through a major facelift. Try and see whats available at Sheraton, outrigger reef. those hotels were recently renovated... and its closer to the Beach Walk, the happening spots in waikiki.

Stay in Ewa Beach?? that would be ok. morning and evening traffic in and out of there it a night mare, so if you can plan around that, then its, ok. I do Hope its the newer side of Ewa.

I would much rather stay at the Makaha Resort than in Ewa Beach.

Makaha Resort & Golf Club » Hotel Specials

Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,610 times
this might help???

Accommodations
Accommodations - visit-oahu.com

Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,958 times
Hi Polidot,

Depending on the age of your kids...there might not be enough to do in EWA at night time. Waikiki is still a safe and fun place to be. The Aqua hotel is a 3 star hotel at best...maybe even a 2 star. Depending on what you are looking for and your buget you might wish to stay at a higher end hotel. Also there are no issues with the Zoo end of Waikiki, infact its quiter and has less of the late nite action.

If you are looking at a Condo, depending on the building your experience will vary....some very good others I would not recommend at all. Make sure you know where your staying and get lots of pictures before you commit....I hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,309,099 times
I'm most comfortable near the "zoo" end...I rarely consider staying anywhere else if I'm looking for a lower cost hotel.

Not sure what the appeal would be to stay in Ewa Beach on a vacation? You'll be dealing with a lot of traffic and most of what you will probably want to do will likely be in other areas. If you have a particular reason, I'm sure it will work out, but there are other options that may be nicer for a vacation.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,005 times
Thank you all for the replies so far. We only chose Ewa Beach as the house is beachfront and we weren't really planning on heading into Waikiki everyday. We would probably go to Ala Moana one day, but certainly not in peak hour. My husband and eldest son would visit Pearl Harbour, we might go to Waikiki beach one day, to say we were there, but other than that, we were pretty much just going to do alot of nothing. Where we live in Australia will be really cold by then and will have been for a couple of months, so just being warm and near a beach were the main idea. Our boys are 7 and 9. We got cheap flights with our kids flying free, so couldn't pass them up.

I'm glad to hear the zoo end is ok, as if we do stay a few nights in Waikiki, that's where a lot of the condo's I have seen are. Photos look good and reviews are great. I know some of these can be misleading, but I can only do so much research and have to make a decision based on something.

We aren't on a really strict budget, were just trying to steer clear of hotels due to a particularly sleepless 9 year old, so really wanted something with a seperate bedroom. The dollar is pretty crappy at the moment too, 12 months ago we would have been laughing, not so great now.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,958 times
If you can you should stay at Liliuokalani Gardens...its a condo at the zoo end of Waikiki....great garden grounds with pool and tennis facilities. I have stayed their before and had a wonderful time. Hope you have a great stay....Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii