Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM

49 posts, read 84,432 times

Advertisements

Starting to put together a budget to get a good idea what are living expenses will be when we move to MB. Have a fairly good idea about property taxes. But would like to know what electric and AC will average us per month for a 3BR , 2BA single story home around 1800-2400 sq ft? Are there choices for utilities in MB area? Here in upstate NY we have only one utility company to buy electric from. We do not have nor need central air here but down there we will. But we won’t have expense of oil heat in the winter. Looking at Little River, Longs, nw Conway areas. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
1800 sq ft in Myrtle Beach, 3br, 3ba - about $225 during the summer and $ 60 during the winter. for electric. There's really only one company - Santee Cooper was just bought by Dominion

Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I have Horry Electric in North Myrtle Beach. 1600 sq ft 3/2 condo. Just moved in and my first month's bill is $105.
I keep temp at 77.

A lot though depends on your usage and how low you keep the AC.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
You will have only one choice for electric providers and it will depend on where you live. Much of Horry County is serviced by Horry Electric but there are sections that have Santee Cooper. Horry Electric rates are higher than Santee Cooper because they buy their power from Santee Cooper.

Our experience is different than that of Retire in MB. Summer runs about $225 June-Aug but less than that in the shoulder seasons. Temp at 78. Winter runs more in the $150-$175 range (Jan/Feb). We have a 2400 sq ft ranch with a loft & bedroom on a second floor. Temp at 69.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 AM

49 posts, read 84,432 times
Default Confused on temp settings (??)

CTyankee 54 I'm a bit confused on your temperature settings you mentioned. Do you mean you set at 78 for winter/shoulder seasons and set at 69 for summer months? Also, unrelated topic but thought I'd save myself a separate post to you, what home builder companies do you consider build a quality product in the developments down there? I know there are several biggie companies each having built many developments in greater MB area. We are planning on buying a fairly new resale, not building new, and if there's homes we should stay away from based on who built the development we'd appreciate knowing. How homes are built down there (without basements so much of the infrastructure is "hidden" from plain sight so to speak is radically diff from the northeast.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 AM

401 posts, read 378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
1800 sq ft in Myrtle Beach, 3br, 3ba - about $225 during the summer and $ 60 during the winter. for electric. There's really only one company - Santee Cooper was just bought by Dominion

Santee Cooper was not bought by Dominion. Santee Cooper is still owned by the State of SC. Dominion bought SCANA (SCE&G).

Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM

The 78 temp is where we set it in summer and 69 in winter.

I'll caveat my comments on builders that these are my observations. You'll find many others on this forum who have had positive experiences with the builders that I do not hold in high esteem. Beazer Homes is one builder that I've seen things that I don't particularly care for. I also wasn't too crazy about Centex Homes. All the others are pretty much the same especially if you're buying an already built home instead of having one built. When you find a home you like, talk to the neighbors about what they think about the quality of their house and the quality of the neighborhood. That way, you can ascertain whether the builder has done a good job in that particular neighborhood not only with the houses but the infrastructure (water drainage, etc) as well.

I would not be overly concerned with the "infrastructure" of the home being hidden. It's basically the sewage pipes and possibly one or two water pipes that need to get from the water heater to the other side of the house. It's all tested by the County before it's covered over by concrete and the sewage lines have cleanouts that allow access to resolve any problems. I don't know of anyone that has had major problems with any of the pipes in the foundation.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 237,682 times
We do 77 in the summer and 67-72 in the winter depending on how cold.
Our highest electric in 4 years is $176 with Santee Cooper and our home is all electric. We’ve never paid over $55 for water including having sprinklers.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 PM

You're lucky you're on Santee Cooper and have lower electric bills. Horry Electric buys it's power from Santee and our rates are definitely higher as a result.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
You will have only one choice for electric providers and it will depend on where you live. Much of Horry County is serviced by Horry Electric but there are sections that have Santee Cooper. Horry Electric rates are higher than Santee Cooper because they buy their power from Santee Cooper.

CTYankee, I think you are a little backward, most of Horry County is Santee Cooper not Horry Electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area