Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM

150 posts, read 427,465 times

Advertisements

how much highest summer electric cost would be on a 1000 sqf townhome with the new increases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times
That depends on a lot of factors. How cold do you keep it, how old your air conditioner is, if there is shade, etc.

I live in a 2200 square foot house and we keep our air at 78 degrees. We average about $350 per month in the hottest months. They just approved a 10% increase so, if you have been living in the unit you could just add the 10%. If you have not been living in the unit, I think you can call NV Energy and ask them about the address's summer electric bills (but I'm not sure about that).

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I think you can call NV Energy and ask them about the address's summer electric bills (but I'm not sure about that).
That is how it works, if you ask they'll give you whatever months you ask for.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
That is how it works, if you ask they'll give you whatever months you ask for.
Ooooh, this sounds like a fun way to check out what our public figures spend on utilities!

Let's see, we know Wayne Newton's address, the Greenspuns, Mike Tyson's, Dr. Desai, etc. [/sarcasm]

That program sounds like an invasion of privacy to me. Unless NV energy only releases data on houses where the power is disconnected, of course.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Ooooh, this sounds like a fun way to check out what our public figures spend on utilities!
I like that idea! Especially the ones who claim to be 'carbon neutral'.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
kittyranger, according to the news last night, they said the "average" household would see a $5 a month increase. We are not average, so hopefully ours will be around $1.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM

687 posts, read 4,406,152 times
Quote:
That depends on a lot of factors. How cold do you keep it, how old your air conditioner is, if there is shade, etc.

I live in a 2200 square foot house and we keep our air at 78 degrees. We average about $350 per month in the hottest months. They just approved a 10% increase so, if you have been living in the unit you could just add the 10%. If you have not been living in the unit, I think you can call NV Energy and ask them about the address's summer electric bills (but I'm not sure about that).
Thats a pretty high bill considering your running the air at 78!

Just to show people an example on why it so critical to have a good running a/c unit and good ductwork.
I installed a used 7 year old unit in a friends house around the corner, I also discovered that his house and the rest of the tract was ducted very poorly from the unit down to the distribution ducts and had a restrictive return air setup.
I upsized his return and also upsized the supply from the unit and installed a large new elbow on the roof.
He ran the air at 68 degrees day and night all summer long, he has a pool pump that ran 10 hours a day, they have no shade on their house and no solar screens.
Their biggest power bill was 400 bucks. 1900 sq ft house with a 4 ton unit, pretty cheap considering the house felt like a meat locker!
My point is, have a proffessional check your unit and all your ductwork.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
You can make a huge difference in this amount when you are shopping for condos. Look for a single story home on the bottom floor, or at least one with the sleeping areas on the bottom floor. Northern exposure is the best. South and West is the worst. Look for mature trees, shade is a great money saver.

How well insulated is the unit and is it constructed in a way that lets you add more? Are the windows low-e and at least double pane? Are the doors substantial and insulated? Invest in serious window coverings that block out as much light and heat as possible. Ceiling fans may not be popular with interior designers but they make sense here.

Insulate your garage and your garage door. If you have living space above the garage, you can't insulate that garage ceiling enough!

The amount you spend will depend a lot on how much discomfort you are willing to put up with.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Thats a pretty high bill considering your running the air at 78!
True dat. It has been as high a $500.

Quote:
Just to show people an example on why it so critical to have a good running a/c unit and good ductwork.
I installed a used 7 year old unit in a friends house around the corner, I also discovered that his house and the rest of the tract was ducted very poorly from the unit down to the distribution ducts and had a restrictive return air setup.
I upsized his return and also upsized the supply from the unit and installed a large new elbow on the roof.
He ran the air at 68 degrees day and night all summer long, he has a pool pump that ran 10 hours a day, they have no shade on their house and no solar screens.
Their biggest power bill was 400 bucks. 1900 sq ft house with a 4 ton unit, pretty cheap considering the house felt like a meat locker!
My point is, have a proffessional check your unit and all your ductwork.
I don't think the builder did a good job, although, not actionable. Every person in our development with our style house has the same issue. We even have the upgraded windows, solar screens, and whatever it is they put on the underside of the roof. I think our air conditioner is 10 seer (I think) which was an up grade.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
Quote:
True dat. It has been as high a $500.

...and whatever it is they put on the underside of the roof.
radiant barriers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas