Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,175,194 times

Advertisements

What is it like to live in the Mytle Beach area? Is is fun or difficult? How good are the wages and job opportunities in the area? Anything else I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 AM

890 posts, read 4,331,797 times
Depends. What kind of job are you looking for? Are you looking for a professional career? Are you looking to work in Myrtle Beach while you go to school? Then I think you would find it a fun place to live. If you are looking for a professional career then I would not recommend it. It is a year round tourist destination and a big retirement area. Most of the the jobs there will be in the service industry or construction. If you want to be a waiter or something along those lines then you should have no problem. Traffic there is no fun though.

Last edited by scjj; 11-19-2006 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 AM

291 posts, read 1,783,417 times
I tend to agree. I have met some there that regret moving there. Low wages. Not a lot of better jobs. The tension from all the tourists. However some don't mind those things. There is a lot to do and tons of shopping.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,913,468 times
My parents are originally from the area and my grandparents still have their farm NW of MB, so I'm very familiar with the area. I agree with both of the above post. I personally would not want to live there. The economy revolves around tourists/retirees, so jobs won't pay well in general. Beach areas also tend to be more expensive places to live. LOTS of traffic. For a city its size, there's a lot to do.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 43,792 times
In this area is there wellness business and organic food stores

Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,015,514 times
It's a "vacation" sort of place. Yes, folks do live in MB year round, but the majority of jobs are in the service industry. if you love the beach, and all that goes with a resort area, you'll probably enjoy it. if you're not a beach person, then you may grow to hate it! The summertime traffic is horrendous...and in the winter, I can think of no worse place to be than at a beach...having grown up in a beach town (Va. Beach), there's little to do...it's damp and uncomfortable....
I guess it totally depends what you want from a "home town"!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,878,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelksit View Post
I see a lot of chiropractors and massage therapists advertising but I have not seen a whole foods or fresh market. I went to Market Commons looking for the ONLY fresh juice bar I was able to locate in the area and it has closed (Juga Juice). The location was poor and there was no advertising so I'm hoping those issues will not dissuade other natural food stores to open in the area. It is desperately needed.......

Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM

84 posts, read 394,040 times
Hey fellow Myrtle Beach lovers, how's everyone doing? I haven't posted in a while, but Ive been in and out of the forum here and there checking in to see what people are talking about.

I will be down for 7 days at the end of this month with the family, we got a good deal on a room at the Landmark Resort, I think my 3 boys will like it, unless you locals know of something better, or have any comments, or concerns on the Landmark that may change my mind?

I'm coming down again to get a better feel of the housing market, were still thinking of a vacation home, that will eventually turn in to a retirement home for us.

Also looking for a good breakfast joint, up here we have these Mom Pop restaurants where you can sit and read the paper, that serve 2 eggs, toast, hash browns, and sausage, or ham for like $4 bucks, anything like that the locals recommend?

on a side note

Rwarky

Are you just a thread starter for the forum, one look at your history of postings tells me your job might be to start posts in the forums to keep conversations going. your everywhere bud, NV, CA, MN

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM

61 posts, read 213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelksit View Post
There are 3 of them I know of, one is in the Murrells Inlet area on 17 Bypass, it hasn't been open for very long. There is also one on Highway 707 that has been open for a couple of months now. The biggest and best one I know about is Bay Naturals @ 76th avenue N and 17 business on the north end of Myrtle Beach! Here is a review for them Healthy Foods Bonanza at Bay Naturals (http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.com/news/latest-news/941-restaurantgal.html - broken link)

There is also a health drink shop in Conway that specializes in healthy juices and that type of thing, the name of it escapes me, but it is between 3rd and 4th Avenue in Conway in the same building that the Kiwanis meet in! There is a sign there saying there meeting place, go in and the store is on the right.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randredge View Post
There is also one on Highway 707 that has been open for a couple of months now.
If it's the one next to the Tax Lady, they went out of business months ago. Slightly after they opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area