Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Lakeside Crossing "too good to be true" or a wonderful place to retire???
Is Lakeside Crossing a good place to buy a home? 3 60.00%
Are there problems selling homes in Lakeside Crossing? 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 38,124 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP!!! We are looking for a retirement community and stumbled upon Lakeside Crossing in Conway, SC. We were blown away by the wonderful value and great homes there!!! I wanted to purchase one on the spot. However, now that I'm back home in NY (I resisted the urge to make a rash decision), I wonder if Lakeside Crossing is "too good to be true". I've noticed that many of the houses for sale there just sit waiting for a buyer for months on end! It seems that the home sellers often have to keep reducing their listing prices. As the old saying goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true". Is Lakeside Crossing a diamond that I have discovered, or a "piece of coal"??? Thanks for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
Lakeside Crossing is a beautiful community. However, the biggest drawback to the community is that you only own the house...not the land that it sits on. You rent/lease the land and the cost is included in your monthly fee that you pay the management company. You are at the mercy of the land owner on how much you pay to rent the land and how often he raises the rent.

There have been protests by residents of the community because the management company is discounting the rent (for the first few years) on the property for people purchasing new homes. This leaves the longer term owners at a disadvantage when they are trying to sell their property and tell the prospective buyer how much their rent is (significantly higher than the discounted rate on new homes). That's why you see so many houses for sale...the current owners cannot compete with the management company on the price of the rent even when they price their homes lower than the new ones the management company is selling.

So, that's the downside of Lakeside Crossing. It is a beautiful community with lots of very nice amenities, but unless you never want to move and don't mind paying rent for your land, you should beware.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 38,124 times
Thanks so much for your VERY quick reply!!! We do understand that, and are still willing to proceed. Our very honest realtor advised us of that fact while we were at the community. I even knew about the current homeowner's protests. Is that the only drawback that you are aware of???

Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
I don't live there so can't tell you about anything other than what they told me when I was considering a home there and what I see in the newspaper. I know a new owner took over the community but who can say whether that's good or bad.

The best way to find out the good/bad/ugly is to walk around the community and ask questions of anyone that you see in their yard or out for a walk. But, since you're back in NY, that would be hard to do ;-)

Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyJoy View Post
Our very honest realtor advised us of that fact while we were at the community. I even knew about the current homeowner's protests. Is that the only drawback that you are aware of???
I think you should read the lease thoroughly. In many of these communities, the owners can raise that land rent at will, so you have no protection against rising costs. I don't believe I would ever live in a land-lease community. Please investigate other options.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM

214 posts, read 260,731 times
Default Lakeside Crossing..........

HOA monthly fees of $450 to $600 a month would be a huge for me . You could find many other subdivisions where the HOA fees are 10% of those at Lakeside Crossing . Route 501 , access and egress , not something to look forward to either , JMO .

Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
I think that 450-600 month HOA also includes their "land rental".

Old 06-11-2015, 03:23 PM

214 posts, read 260,731 times
SC , I would guess you are 100% correct . I wouldn't want that hanging over my head every month until the day I die . We plan on spending just about what we would here , when we move to MB in 5 years or so . Real Estate prices are remarkably similar in my area of NY and MB . A $60 per month HOA fee is almost negligible when you factor in basic cable and trash pick-up (where we are looking) as opposed to +/- $500 per month at Lakeside Crossing . Not that they aren't included there . But really , $700 vs $6000 a year , just isn't doable for the average person . There are so many other and better options all up and down the Grand Strand , simple economics to me .

Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Lakeside Crossing developer say residents are ruining their re-sale values - MyHorryNews.com: Business

You might find this interesting

Old 06-11-2015, 07:00 PM

174 posts, read 257,548 times
Retire in MB, thank you for that link. Since we'll be heading down to Myrtle Beach mid July, I am "on overdrive" with my researching and reading. I appreciate your many contributions to this forum and yes, I did find that article interesting. You can never know too much about your retirement location. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area