Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM

538 posts, read 1,009,087 times

Advertisements

It's more of a "being close to home" thing for the first year. It will be a big adjustment for all of us leaving everyone we know & love behind in NY. So, we figured if the first year she was within a quick drive (in case she misses moms home cooking, or laughing along with me & her little brother), she can make the 20 min ride home for dinner or whatever. I have a funny feeling once we ALL settle in, she will move onto either USC of CofC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,132,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
It's more of a "being close to home" thing for the first year. It will be a big adjustment for all of us leaving everyone we know & love behind in NY. So, we figured if the first year she was within a quick drive (in case she misses moms home cooking, or laughing along with me & her little brother), she can make the 20 min ride home for dinner or whatever. I have a funny feeling once we ALL settle in, she will move onto either USC of CofC.
If that is the case, has she considered getting her basics done next door at Horry Georgetown Tech? It is a fraction of the price and everything will transfer. Coastal and HGTC work very closely together. They are an outstanding technical college and the provost and their family are family friends of mine. Outstanding guy, also very involved in the community.

Either way your daughter is in good hands.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,356 times
Thanks everyone. Your responses reflect how I feel about the institution (good things). I do see a lot of community support and one of the soccer players was just drafted to the Philadelphia Union MLS!!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 PM

253 posts, read 470,661 times
I have always heard great things about Coastal. I graduated with 3 degrees from USC-Columbia and several of my profs taught in the summers at Coastal.

I am hoping to be able to teach as an adjunct there after retirement - one course a semester - if I'm fortunate and the stars align!

I think students would do well at this university and the campus is absolutely gorgeous.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,508,082 times
I graduated with honors from the business school in 2010. Loved the school, hated Myrtle Beach. You can inbox me with any questions.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,508,082 times
While you are down in SC, you should also check out College of Charleston. I live in Charleston now and would have rather gone to this school if I had known about it. It's located in a beautiful city and I think the school is rated even higher than CCU.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 13,184 times
I came to CCU from up north and graduated within the last 5 years. I can't say enough about the school and I had a blast in MB for 4 years (maybe a little too much fun). I have since left the area and CCU's reputation is fine outside of SC, too. No one outside of the state will confuse it for a premier, ivy school..but, it definitely has not been limiting in any way, either.

The only issue I found - MB does not have the businesses infrastructure to support too many jobs outside of the tourism industry. So, depending on his major, he should understand that his stay in MB likely will not extend beyond his time at CCU (too many students fall in love with the area or just don't want to deal with moving again, so they end up waiting tables or working retail for an extended period even after obtaining their degree).

Consider the above poster's suggestion that your son take his pre-req courses at Horry-Georgetown Community College. I wish I did this. Save some $$ and it is literally across the street from CCU. Best of both worlds. He can live at some of the apartments near campus (like Campus Edge Apartments) so he will still have all of the social opportunities associated with CCU.

Send me a message if you have any other questions before or after your visit!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM

328 posts, read 435,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's fantastic! One of my lifelong girlfriend's parents, Tom and Robin Edwards, donated millions for their building and another, Bob Brooks , (Hooters) gave the money for the stadium. It is locally supported and a really good school.
This is great news. My kids are still young yet but when we drive by the school we always look over that way. Last time in Myrtle Beach we noticed they really cleaned up and opened up the entrance more making it very appealing.

Nice to also know many locals and business donate money to a worthy cause.

Thanks for sharing the information. I have read tons of your post and you and several other here really give back by helping others. I surely appreciate the input from all of you.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,367 times
Default A little rain on this parade

Website ranks CCU high on list of drug, alcohol arrests - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM

161 posts, read 330,606 times
There are drugs and alcohol at every college in this country---I don't give a lot of thought to any polls or lists like these. My daughter had a very good experience at Coastal. And look at it this way, maybe there are more arrests because Coastal is more diligent in their efforts and actually prosecutes the kids. When my daughter was there , getting caught with booze got you a citation -now they send them straight to J. Reuben.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area