Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM

122 posts, read 479,777 times

Advertisements

Hello, it seems the more research I do the more confused I become.
Trying to narrow the search to one state.
Have done some business travel in the Myrtle Beach area, so I feel comfortable south of the MB.
However, open to all areas, north, south or west.

Planning on driving down in the fall and would like to have some ideas where to search.
Like everyone want a safe area; open to retirement communities. Like to be near stores, friendly people, concerts/plays (locally produced or professional) and not too close to the water.

Prefer a ranch type house or condo, price range would be $150,000 - $250,000. Would be nice to be in a community that you can drive a golf cart to get around to stores; prefer not having a golf course attached to the community. I would like a small outdoor space to grow herbs and flowers in containers.

The reason we were looking elsewhere was because of Biker weeks in May. How much of a pain are the bikers; do you just accept the noise, crowd after awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Crestwind at Market Common. That is $200+ and is in a 55+ that you can get around in a golf cart.

No golf course attached. Also it is in biking or cart riding distance to all the stores, movie, grocery, book store. etc.

I would just say to buy towards the back although I don't think the majority of bikers are driving through the Market Common.

Yes, you do get use to the tiny buzz in the air from the cycles. Plus, we tend to go in areas that most will not congregate at.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM

I should say most of the others are in a golf course community. Plus, you won't get in the cart to go to many stores, if any close by.

As far as a 55+ condo, I am not coming up with one right now. Maybe someone else has an answer to that but most on my mind are all ages.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM

34 posts, read 109,942 times
As long as you are far enough away from the main roads, the biker noise is minimal. I live in the Market Common area. If I didn't venture out to Kings Highway, I would never know it was bike week. Crestwind is in a very good area.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM

Thank you all for the quick response.
Is there a biker's week in early October? Want to start planning my vacation.
Got an e-mail from Wild Wings or something similar; it is a golf community in Conway I believe.
Do most retirees move to a golf community? Not a golfer and prefer not to spend extra HOA for maintaining the course.

Question, for the people living in MB area, would you move there again knowing what you know now?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Well the homes that are 55+ in Indian Wells is called the Woodlake section, this might be good.
I don't think that they have a high HOA at all. Now, Indian Wells is a golf course but that section is separate.
They have an entrance off of 17 bypass for that section. That would go under Surfside Beach. These are stick homes on way more property then the new developments have. This is off of the Connector Rd. between 17bypass and 17 business.
It might be worth it to you to have their pool and have use of their restaurant.
It is close to shopping and a BiLo's.
Many new homes are nestled into a golf community as we have almost 100 courses in MB.
Sometimes its nice so that you don't have a home bumped up to you, rather its rolling greens.
Yes, I would move here again. We stay very busy here. Plus, I could not shovel one more time. I won't even give you how many years I shoveled. Tons though.
LOL.
Plus, the cold was hurting my bones. Warmth, helps a big bunch.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

No more snow shoveling is one of the big reasons for the move.
Plus the warm weather for the old bones. I never complain about hot weather!
What are the property taxes and ownerowners insurance like in MB?
Checked Florida and while it is cheaper then NJ, not by that much once you factor in the all the homeowner's insurance you need to buy.

Any peatbog fires going on? Remember a few years ago ash was falling like snow.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM

245 posts, read 319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Thank you all for the quick response.
Is there a biker's week in early October? Want to start planning my vacation.
Got an e-mail from Wild Wings or something similar; it is a golf community in Conway I believe.
Do most retirees move to a golf community? Not a golfer and prefer not to spend extra HOA for maintaining the course.

Question, for the people living in MB area, would you move there again knowing what you know now?
You could check out Florence SC if you want more bang for your buck on housing. It is a hour or so to the west of MB, right off interstate 95.

They have a big golf course community, the Country Club of South Carolina, on the west side of town with 1 or 2 restaurants, tennis courts, big pool, gym for working out. I don't think they have HOA fees there and it isn't mentioned on their website but you might have to pay something to access the pool / gym / courts. I doubt they would force you to pay for golf. It probably has a bunch of retirees but also some younger people who work out at some of big employers like Dupont in that area. It is 7 to 10 miles or so from the retail / restaurant area and maybe grocery stores in Florence so don't know if you would be ok with that.

the Florence area close to the mall has nice subdivions too but none that I know specifically set out to be a retiree community.

i thought it might be a possiblity for you if you plan on going back to NJ every now and then with it being right off the interstate.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
No more snow shoveling is one of the big reasons for the move.
Plus the warm weather for the old bones. I never complain about hot weather!
What are the property taxes and ownerowners insurance like in MB?
Checked Florida and while it is cheaper then NJ, not by that much once you factor in the all the homeowner's insurance you need to buy.

Any peatbog fires going on? Remember a few years ago ash was falling like snow.
Gosh, I thought this was my posting. Those reasons are mine for sure too
You will pay most likely between $350 and $600 on property tax. It all depends on your home.
That being for a home 1900sq ft. to about 2500sq ft. or so.

What is high is wind and hail. Wind and hail can cost you $1100/1300. Depends on home size also.
Flood insurance you would want to get with your home insurance. It is about $300 for 1900 sq ft.
Plan on paying a car tax which can be low up to 300 for a brand new car.

Still the fees don't add up to our 5,000 + school tax in Pa. not counting the town tax.

No bog fires going on.... I've never seen one actually.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Gosh, I thought this was my posting. Those reasons are mine for sure too
You will pay most likely between $350 and $600 on property tax. It all depends on your home.
That being for a home 1900sq ft. to about 2500sq ft. or so.

What is high is wind and hail. Wind and hail can cost you $1100/1300. Depends on home size also.
Flood insurance you would want to get with your home insurance. It is about $300 for 1900 sq ft.
Plan on paying a car tax which can be low up to 300 for a brand new car.

Still the fees don't add up to our 5,000 + school tax in Pa. not counting the town tax.

No bog fires going on.... I've never seen one actually.
Wow this is a big difference between Florida and NJ!
Thank you for the great imput! You have been very helpful and I really appreciate your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area