Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times

Advertisements

What I find enjoyable where I am located is that our homes are not cookie cutter. That is one feature I love. I hate it when I look down a street and see all roof lines looking the same. Plus, they bumper these homes together so close.
For those reasons I don't mind looking at resales. At one time the builders gave people more land. Not that I have a huge property, I don't. I came from PA where I did have way too much land for us to manage so this is fine by me.
I'm enjoying that I am 5 minutes from Market Commons by a short cut off of 544 onto 707.
I enjoy also that I have some water behind me to enjoy the wildlife.
We have plenty of people our age at Lake Park Plantation and I noticed the same at Glenmere which is across the way. I love having kids around, so that is never a problem with me.
I love to go to Market Commons, it is a total joy. I would have loved the Charleston style there but, they put them way, way, too close. Almost on top of each other.
I keep going over there to try to make my mind wrap around the building process, but it just doesn't work.
I come home very happy that our homes are different, that we have water, and still have this great location near the Market Common and yet near Target, Ross, Lowes, and all the food stores.
So, it is a swell area for many to live there. Who can stamp on all that is there. But, I am happy in our area for many reasons mentioned above. All's well in Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM

78 posts, read 144,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicX View Post
That's my thread. I should probably do an update there since I just bought in cresswind, and have been living in Dr Horton Highlands!

Loving it in Market Common: come join us!
Why haven't you did an update yet? Are you really legitimate or are you working for Cresswind? I find it extremely surprising that you chose to buy in Cresswind after all the extensive research you did. I also thought you were going to wait on "The Estates" since it is suppose to have bigger lots before you purchased. ?????? PLEASE enlighten us soon! Thanks!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM

638 posts, read 993,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eunicemendez View Post
Why haven't you did an update yet? Are you really legitimate or are you working for Cresswind? I find it extremely surprising that you chose to buy in Cresswind after all the extensive research you did. I also thought you were going to wait on "The Estates" since it is suppose to have bigger lots before you purchased. ?????? PLEASE enlighten us soon! Thanks!
I agree and think you might be right. He is probably a fake or working for Cresswind,Market Common or the county. ????? We shall see.......Time will tell.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 AM

638 posts, read 993,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
What I find enjoyable where I am located is that our homes are not cookie cutter. That is one feature I love. I hate it when I look down a street and see all roof lines looking the same. Plus, they bumper these homes together so close.
For those reasons I don't mind looking at resales. At one time the builders gave people more land. Not that I have a huge property, I don't. I came from PA where I did have way too much land for us to manage so this is fine by me.
I'm enjoying that I am 5 minutes from Market Commons by a short cut off of 544 onto 707.
I enjoy also that I have some water behind me to enjoy the wildlife.
We have plenty of people our age at Lake Park Plantation and I noticed the same at Glenmere which is across the way. I love having kids around, so that is never a problem with me.
I love to go to Market Commons, it is a total joy. I would have loved the Charleston style there but, they put them way, way, too close. Almost on top of each other.
I keep going over there to try to make my mind wrap around the building process, but it just doesn't work.
I come home very happy that our homes are different, that we have water, and still have this great location near the Market Common and yet near Target, Ross, Lowes, and all the food stores.
So, it is a swell area for many to live there. Who can stamp on all that is there. But, I am happy in our area for many reasons mentioned above. All's well in Myrtle Beach.
Glad all is well and you're enjoying life! That's what it's all about.......being where you are the happiest.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 24,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Hello, it seems the more research I do the more confused I become.
Trying to narrow the search to one state.
Have done some business travel in the Myrtle Beach area, so I feel comfortable south of the MB.
However, open to all areas, north, south or west.

Planning on driving down in the fall and would like to have some ideas where to search.
Like everyone want a safe area; open to retirement communities. Like to be near stores, friendly people, concerts/plays (locally produced or professional) and not too close to the water.

Prefer a ranch type house or condo, price range would be $150,000 - $250,000. Would be nice to be in a community that you can drive a golf cart to get around to stores; prefer not having a golf course attached to the community. I would like a small outdoor space to grow herbs and flowers in containers.

The reason we were looking elsewhere was because of Biker weeks in May. How much of a pain are the bikers; do you just accept the noise, crowd after awhile?
A little late to the conversation but if you are still looking you may want to narrow your search down to Garden City as they have a lot of golf cart traffic. They have some cookie-cutter neighborhoods but you can also find places where your home is different from the rest. I too am a transplant from up north and the cookie-cutter neighborhoods and HOA's are weird to me. But after 8 years living here I would certainly do it again! It's a trade-off. You live in a neighborhood where most of the homes are a choice of three different models, true, but you don't have to shovel snow (as others mentioned), the weather here is awesome 9 months out of the year and the cost of living is cheaper.

As for bike week, they are honestly all but gone now. Yes, they still come here but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. When Myrtle Beach tried to get rid of one specific bike week (of the two) by enacting a helmet law it had an ill effect on the Harley week patrons and a good majority of them stopped coming here. The city tried to reverse the helmet law (making them "encouraged" instead of required) but the damage was done. The Harley bike week is a shell of what it used to be so the noise is manageable. The "other" bike week has become more of a moving car show than a bike week so (motorcycle) noise isn't really an issue. I can tell you though that if you have young children (or a weak stomach) you may want to avoid the downtown area when this other bike week/ car show is going on as there are a lot of scantily clad females and generally just "not very classy" people here for that week.

I would suggest (if you live here) is to take your first vacation of the year in May. It gets you out of town for the majority of the bike weeks and leaves you with the rest of the summer for "stay-cations".

Hope this helps!

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 AM

122 posts, read 479,593 times
Thank you I hope I can narrow the search down after our Octobe vacation.
Garden City sounds like a contender.
Hopefully it's not too near to the ocean because of flood insurance rates.

Looking forward to our next visit.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
JerseyGirl - Just so you know, proximity to the ocean does not necessarily dictate that you are in a flood zone. Even though I have a lake in my backyard and live about a half a mile from the ocean (19 ft. above sea level) I am not in a designated flood zone and I am under no obligation whatsoever to purchase flood insurance. I did voluntarily purchase flood insurance, but was not required to do so. I am telling you this so that you can make an informed decision. Ask, don't assume. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Also, a lot of people seem to think that living near the ocean makes it impossible or unreasonably expensive to buy the different kinds of homeowners insurances. Not so. My rates are quite reasonable and I had no trouble getting all the insurance I wanted and felt that I needed. Shop around. Rates vary and if you are persistent you can get a great deal on insurance and still get excellent coverage.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
I wonder if there is a way to bring up flood zones online? At one time I did get to see a map and I remember that Murrells Inlet was in the flood zone. I tell my daughter about that when she looks at the new homes there.
It might even pay to visit with a insurance person before the final papers are signed, they have to know the flood zones.
Garden City has had some flooding situations over the years, close to the ocean actually. Whether it is zoned that way is something I am not sure of but wonder about.
Unfortunately, I am in a flood zone and have a lagoon behind my house. These water areas are spring fed. They also lead back by a stream to the Intercoastal.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
Yes, you can view them online. Here's a link:

Horry County - FEMA Flood Maps

You can also google things like, "What constitutes a flood zone" etc. Lots of information is available online.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM

63 posts, read 162,335 times
If you purchase a condo, ask them if they except reservations during the biker weeks.. both of my parents condo management companies do now allow reservations during this week. This keeps the bikers away and the noise level down.

North Myrtle Beach is a great option, a bit "nicer" than downtown Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area