Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,692,811 times

Advertisements

Yes, we sometimes miss home. I won't lie. But how can we not love this state of South Carolina? One thing to count is that I keep looking for the greyness and coldness of winter and it never comes. I have to stop myself from thinking that my gardening will stop. That the land will turn grey. It doesn't.

Is the sunshine always here....no, but almost all the year long we have comfortable weather.
Its a joy to live in this climate.

I can count that we will have four seasons. The seasons come and go. We have a beautiful fall and yes, the leaves change colors. Reds, orange, and yellows...charming.

Spring brings a vast amount of flowers, more then I can ever dream of. So many I have never before planted or set my eyes on. Gorgeous blooms and magnificent rose trees. Myrtle trees with an abundance of flowers on each stem.

I have to count that one can not be bored here. The shows in various places, the restaurants full of life. Even the sports bars with each booth having a TV.

The charm of the festivals that are here and there. From Conway to Murrells Inlet and beyond.

If you get tired of that, head out to the consignment shops that are so plentiful in this area.
From North Myrtle to Garden City and even down to Pawleys the consignments are fantastic.

Those of you that are homesick. Give it a bit of time. I can't say I don't miss my girls and the little fellows...I sure do. But, we visit a bunch this way and that and we have some really great times. We get a whole week with them instead of a day or weekend back home.

I love Myrtle Beach because the climate suits me, the "things to do " suit me, and I am always busy.

I helps also to have numerous movie theaters and a place like Market Commons to go to.

The fun of the Flea Market in Surfside. All the attractions for kids to do when they visit.

If you feel bored buy a puzzle or book from the local Barnes and Nobles. Start a hobby from Michaels.

Whatever you do, wherever you live,..be happy...We know, life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,350,902 times

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 PM

370 posts, read 948,763 times
Wow, great post!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM

253 posts, read 470,810 times
Summering, you made my day - thanks for a beautiful post! Oh, I cannot wait to get there but darn it, I have to wait 'til January 2014

Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Summering, you made my day - thanks for a beautiful post! Oh, I cannot wait to get there but darn it, I have to wait 'til January 2014
Oh bummer...and January is not my favorite of months here. Ok, I will be truthful...Jan. and Feb. are my two least favorite months. The rest are just perfect! So anyhow, two out of 12 isn't bad now is it?

Honestly, there is so much to do rain or shine that you will just love it.

Even my children, when they arrive, say they just didn't have enough time to do everything they wanted to. There is always a long list left of things we wanted to do.

If you find a time in the winter that is not so wonderful head out to the Market Commons theaters.
Its a beautiful place and a nice for a rainy day. The mall full of light and vastness is also a good place to head to. Basspro shop is an adventure in itself.

We are never bored and life is wonderful in this huge area of Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Oh bummer...and January is not my favorite of months here. Ok, I will be truthful...Jan. and Feb. are my two least favorite months. The rest are just perfect! So anyhow, two out of 12 isn't bad now is it?
Having grown up in SC and vacationed at the beach every summer until I left for Texas in 1990, any month at the beach is perfect! I have been there in January and you're right - not as great but at least there's the beautiful ocean - sadly at that time of the year, my area of Texas has nothing but de-leafed trees and flat, bare land

We probably will move to Socastee area but if I win the TX lottery, then front row at Pawley's for me

Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM

YES, I'd be front row at Pawleys too.......
But, alas...Socastee is just fine. We are near shopping and just far enough from the tourist at the beach.
Try Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation. I adore The Lakes, so I'd say there too.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM

57 posts, read 67,668 times
You probably love it if you are retired here (like, my parents) or are one of the lucky few who actually have a decent job here. We've been here 2 years and my Husband could only find work in Charleston (which is worse, in our opinion!). I also lived here years ago (I'm 44 now) when I was 19 and found that even then - it is not what you think to live at the beach. It's nice to visit and visit during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months. Summer is miserable here. Too hot and humid (sorry; but, I have MS and it sets-off my disease and I am getting help at times when I'm sick from my family; but, the price is still too high) and way too busy! Six weeks and counting until Summer is over! We've been to the Greenville area 3 times this Summer just to get away! The only good thing about Socastee is Socastee Baptist Church:-)

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki413 View Post
- it is not what you think to live at the beach. It's nice to visit and visit during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months. Summer is miserable here. Too hot and humid and way too busy! Six weeks and counting until Summer is over! We've been to the Greenville area 3 times this Summer just to get away! The only good thing about Socastee is Socastee Baptist Church:-)
I will be retired so employment is not an issue. I have a hobby that hubby and I share and we hope to translate that into a little money online. Since I am from South Carolina, I agree that it is hot, but try living in Texas where we have summer beginning sometimes in April and always going until October. Having 100+ days for weeks and weeks with no break is the norm here from June through at least August and sometimes beyond. Our nights in the worst times never cool off below 90 degrees. Plus Texas is running out of water (main stream media won't tell you this) and right now, my little community is in Stage 4 conservation. Water is also mega expensive here, as are other things like car registrations, property taxes, sales taxes, visitor/hotel taxes, etc. With no state income tax, and a growing population, these taxes will continue to increase.

Any-hoo, just my 2 cents on MB weather...I'll take a real Fall, Winter and Spring any day in exchange for what I know is a not-so-miserable summer at the beach (hot, but not like here). Plus I find there is almost always a breeze on the beech which I asolutely love. And even though I'm 65, I'm a sixties child so I love the excitement, noise and general tackiness of my beautiful beach that I have been away from since 1990.

Thanks for listening, even if you don't agree!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki413 View Post
You probably love it if you are retired here (like, my parents) or are one of the lucky few who actually have a decent job here. We've been here 2 years and my Husband could only find work in Charleston (which is worse, in our opinion!). I also lived here years ago (I'm 44 now) when I was 19 and found that even then - it is not what you think to live at the beach. It's nice to visit and visit during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months. Summer is miserable here. Too hot and humid (sorry; but, I have MS and it sets-off my disease and I am getting help at times when I'm sick from my family; but, the price is still too high) and way too busy! Six weeks and counting until Summer is over! We've been to the Greenville area 3 times this Summer just to get away! The only good thing about Socastee is Socastee Baptist Church:-)
Right now it is hotter in NY, NJ and PA. This summer is not so bad at all in Myrtle Beach, last year was hotter. About as hot as up north right now.

The location of Socastee is really great. I lived before where to get to some stores I would have to travel a half hour or an hour. Now, I am minutes from Lowes, Lowes foods, Kohls, Ross, Target, Marshalls, amongst others. This is wonderful. Plus, BiLos is just up the street. All this closeness is an asset to our area.
Summer is no more miserable then in other places if one hates heat. However it really helps my arthritis and just takes all that bone pain away. I don't run from warmth, ever.

Work is tough. People need to line things up beforehand. Just like everywhere else the hospital, medical, food, and retail are the major employers. However here we can add anything related to tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area