Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,691,091 times

Advertisements

Ok, sorry if I kind of tricked you with that title... I did find a brand new love though, and it is these brand new marvelous consignment stores that have arisen out of nowhere.
This is something I have never done. I bought most of my furniture new when I arrived here. But, I found I could use a couple of rattan chairs on the porch and their costs were quite high.
My two favorite finds were the "Twice as Nice" store in Socastee, and "New to You" in Pawleys.
But, lo' and behold, I actually found the most terrific chair right outside of the Thrift store and took a U-turn to snatch it up.
Hubby thought it was beyond repair, but let me tell you a bit of Mission Oak with Poly in it and now it is as good as new. I just used a brush and each chair took me less then two hours. Some times a bit of trimming with a scissor helped frayed edges here and there.
Here is the finished chairs...

I have found quite a few interesting things,another being hand painted sailboats on throw pillows. Nice palm plates with their hangers. I even picked up an apron that one of my friends loved to surprise her.

A few of us have now gotten into this "new love" in Myrtle Beach...
What is quite interesting is that the stores change so often that it looks like a new store each time you visit.

I have seen some very high quality furniture arrive and leave quite quickly.

This is a great past-time when you are looking for a certain lamp, or desk...or perhaps a dresser.

Happy Hunting to YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,131,490 times
Nice chairs.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM

The first one looked like light straw when I purchased it. I should have done a before and after shot.
The second one needed a good coat of stain it also had a hole in the back. We took a piece of basket and cut it out, stained it, and wove it into the hole. It isn't a perfect match but the back cushion covers it anyhow.
I am so happy with them and now I have a new hobby and a great way to get a solid rattan chair for so much less. The first chair was a Pier One chair.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 AM

62 posts, read 125,487 times
Summering,

LOVELY!

I am soooooo into textiles, textures, colors...Truly a beautiful job! I noticed linen on the table as well. Ohhhhh how I love linens!

My husband and I often visit vintage/antique/second hand stores in Maine and around our own area in Boston. My last trip down I purchased a straw purse w/wooden handles, threw a starfish into it, teamed it up with a pottery piece that my daughter gave me for that beachy feel I was looking for. I tried to upload a picture about an hour ago and gave up......

This condo came newly furnished, I would have much rathered a blank slate, but time & price prevailed ( and my husband loved the 52" flat screen tv's why so big in such an itty bitty space lol? ) Due to a health issue we thought it best to get a first floor condo. It's so tiny here it's difficult to add things as I do not want to appear cluttered.

My husband is on his way down with my grandmothers dishes & a few other of my treasures, now where to put them? I need to get creative without having a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Looking for a hall table, have not found the perfect piece yet..also a sawgrass basket. Just a small one...and...and...and! ha.

Again, nice job! Bravo!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Oops I meant a " sweetgrass " basket. Perhaps on our next trip to Charleston.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,432 times
Summering, your chairs look wonderful! I do wish, as you mentioned, that you had thought to post before and after. Those are always fun to see and it's nice to document your accomplishments in that way. I love finding discarded treasures like that and wish I could do more of it now, but first I need to get rid of the way too many things that are crowding my small house. Only problem is that I have already gotten rid of so many things and am down to having a hard time choosing what to keep and what to get rid of. Wishing I had bought a larger house, but I do love the one we have......

wantobewarm - I love those baskets. We gave one to our oldest daughter for Christmas because she wanted something "local" and we felt that was about as local to SC as you can get.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobewarm View Post
Oops I meant a " sweetgrass " basket. Perhaps on our next trip to Charleston.
Oh funny, I would have made that same mistake with that word...lol

Well, thank you all. But, your right...I too left a lot bigger home and a "full" basement, so I can't keep loving too much.

I will have to buy a really big shed to exchange things in and out.

I sure can kick myself for not having the before pictures. If you think of the lightest shade of straw on the first chair, thats how it started.

Now I have to be more careful in what I bring home. I don't like a lot of extras around either. But I still can use a few more large pictures and one long and two half tables. Great, I still get to have some adventure.

The beautiful table cloth was a gift from my boss when she moved. It came from her family, and I have used it from time to time. So sweet of her.

The porch is coming together for sure...hummm, but I could use a nice, big, area rug!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM

wanttobe.......to post a picture you need a site like photobucket ( and there are others) Once you get them on there you click the last "img" spot under the picture and then you can move it into the "post reply" here on CD......do a preview ...make changes in the preview area...then post. DM me if you need more help. Once you get use to it it is easier. Tab one company next to your CD on top.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Okay here is try number one, I'll see if I can get it right!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM

I guess I will try again tomorrow after my morning coffee...

vrexy what a thoughtful gift!

While I was visiting Greenville a few years ago I purchased a hand carved " magnolia " bowl for my husband. I think it would go nicely here ...however don't have the heart to ask. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area