Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,720,499 times

Advertisements

Holiday Greetings to All!
I wanted to bump this back to the top as the date for the next reading seems to be looming. I have been bogged with "stuff" but hope life will get somewhat back to normal so I can re-focus attention to this topic.
According to the attachment that chili' provided us in the last post, the next reading is Jan.8 and there hasn't been a plan available for public view/comment. Has there been any change in that? For some reason I'm having difficulty accessing the Observer and Times' sites so I'm behind on the current status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM

was finally able to access the paper's sites to get caught up....looks like there is a plan that meets the guidelines, sorta. Still a little confused about this new design, and couldn't get the G'times pic enlarged . Anyway, any thoughts from our local friends on this most recently presented design and plan?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
The latest design, if I read it correctly, has a 60,000 square foot building (which will be 2 stores) & a 45,000 sq ft building separated by a ten foot alley. No word on who the retailers that may be interested. It appears that this will fit the criteria of current zoning but there is a push by the "Don't Box the Neck" group to tighten up the zoning regs to prohibit further structures building to this level.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM

178 posts, read 329,781 times
An email from today regarding the mtg tonight:

This morning's Sun News article covered the basics of the expected approval of Sunbelt Ventures' redevelopment plan for Pawleys Plaza. We ask that you attend this evening's (1-8-13) meeting at the old courtroom building at 133 Screven St. in Georgetown to help support the following additional objectives:

1) If County Council is willing to allow a 60,000 foot building we support separating the large Building but we believe that having two buildings over 45,000 square feet in a PD is a bad precedent and request that Council at least require the two smaller stores in the building next to the large building have different elevations and roof lines from the large building and from each other. 2. Because of the precedent of two buildings over 45,000 square feet and the intent of the overlay zone we request that the PD require that each of the 3 retail spaces have different tenants. 3. Appropriate lighting and landscaping consistent with the size of the main buildings is critical to mitigate the visual impact of those buildings, which are more than twice as large as any other on the Waccamaw Neck.

This is not a large meeting room so finding a seat will require that you be there by 5:00 p.m. this evening. You may also sign up to speak at 5:00, but the time for presentations may be limited to 1/2 hour as is often the case with County Council meetings.

Dusty Wiederhold of Sunbelt has committed that Walmart and its affiliates are not among the potential occupants of the redeveloped center (awaiting this statement prompted us to delay the sending of this notification).
Your support made all the difference. The Planning Commission and County Council took notice and responded in the finest tradition of representative democracy.

Regards,
Don't Box the Neck Committee

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Thank you chili for the updated info.
Let's hope that the concerns are addressed and resolved at tonight's meeting! Thank you so much for keeping up with the notices and posting them for the rest of us.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM

So Friends, we received the "Disturber" after a long absence and now I know the result of the meeting last week.
It is appealing to me that the Walmart question is now answered....that it is NOT on the table any longer, is a good thing in my opinion.
It looks like the Ventures group finally grasps what the community is willing to tolerate, and more importantly IMO, this challenge seems to have pointed out the need for improving the planning/development guidelines for Pawleys Island.
Thanks so much to those of you who have helped me stay in the loop on this and extra thanks to those who were able to attend the meetings and prevent this problem from becoming a reality.
Are there any rumblings about what businesses may go into the space now?
Do any of you have a "wish list"?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
...Do any of you have a "wish list"?
1. Krispy Kreme
2. Bass Pro Shops
3. Fat Harold's South
Ain't a chance in hail any of those will happen in beautiful downtown Pawleys Island.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
1. Christmas Tree Shop
2. Total Wines
3. Harbor Freight
4. Staples
5. Trader Joe's

Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM

YOu guys....Bass Pro....Harbor Freight....! Boy Toys
What about a good book store? And some sort of store for hobbyists and crafters...like HObby Lobby?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM

96 posts, read 220,643 times
1) anything other than a store that I use to live near in the past
2) any non large chain store
3)Tomlinson's (IMHO cant ever have to many salt life and guy Harvey shirts).
4) indoor go cart track

Being a new resident I still enjoy driving north and south to go shopping lol this may change with time but it has not yet. I do look forward to the revitalizing of the shopping center. It is some what of an eye sore,really a big eye sore when compared with up dated building codes. I hope some of the current tenants fair well. Good pizza and sweetmans sticky buns are a common stop.

BusyDeck Georgetown has some book stores on the water front. I like to go and grab lunch and the pick up a book on the local history. Makes for great day and good read. My wife is a big fan of My Sisters Books in Litchfield .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area