Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,720,499 times

Advertisements

So, I just checked the petition has 999 signatures today 8/16. Keep going y'all!!!

A few interesting articles on the subject I'd like to share with y'all...looks like this group isn't the only one who has tried to beat the "big W" and it absolutely can be done, so take heart all- its not a "done deal"!
The following are articles that I found by doing a Google search for stopping walmart:

"Stopping the Big Boxes" was an 1999 article in yes magazine posted 6/30/99 www.yesmagazine.org/issues/cities-of-exuberance/stopping-the-big-boxes

"How to Stop Wal-Mart from Expanding into and Destroying your Community..." is also older, last updated in 2007, written by an attorney who has some concerns about globalization ( take this part with some salt) and has actually represented towns trying to keep out the big boxes. Its a LONG article that deals largely with his anti-globalization rant, but there is good subject matter concerning ideas upon which to build a case for keeping out the large conglomerate organizations. Numerous books and websites are offered for further study as well. www.lawmall.com/wal-mart.php

Several recent newspaper articles portraying the struggles in other cities across the country, including The Washington Post, SD CityBeat ( San Diego),and the Burbank Leader.

It's interesting to see the tactics considered by other communities, I think, and hopefully those of you locally may find some good ideas from these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
While having a conversation today with a local merchant, I learned something that the demographics people may have realized that I did not. I was told that while researching this businessman's project, the traffic light at Waverly Rd & Hwy 17 saw 35,000 vehicles pass through on average daily... 2 years ago. Anyone in the area will tell you that traffic is certainly heavier now. What I think the Walmart folks have in mind is that the store in Murrells Inlet & Georgetown attracts people who are aware of the store's location & intentionally travel there for purchases. Neither of these stores are on a main highway (Hwy 17 Business & Hwy 701, respectively). This Walmart will be in the direct route of those traveling along Hwy 17 and perhaps will attract the long distance travelers along with the locals.

Just trying to glean a little insight into the thought process of those making the big decisions.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 AM

460 posts, read 989,230 times
Yep, people will flock to Walmart.

I never knew how good I had it as a kid, but I guess we all long for the good ol' days.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
I love our fairly new Walmart in Garden City (just a few miles away). It did nothing to harm the honky tonk strip of Business 17 in the area, at least IMHO. However I agree, a Walmart does not fit in PI..... Just as our local Walmart would not have been appropriate in the Marshwalk area of MI.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM

178 posts, read 329,781 times
When I lived on the GC/MI border several years ago, I looked into whether there were any larger groups willing to join forces with the locals to help prevent Wallyworld from expanding into their towns. There was a group at the time, I think it's called Walmart Watch or something like that. I'm not sure just how much help they will give, I think they like to see a petition started or people already mobilized. At the time I didn't know about the existence of CD and wasn't sure if I was willing to be a one-man show against the big evil W. Maybe they still exist, I can't imagine they went away with the influx of stores and all the folks who must oppose. I will dig up those old emails and post a URL if I can find it.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Don't Box the Neck is one such organization, chili', and they are re-activating apparently. But if there is another group out there, having their info here would be great! Hope you can locate that info...and thanks.

baylovers, you bring up a really good point here, and it does make sense from a corporate standpoint. In reading the articles I found, it became evident that the Wal-mart philosphy of expansion has everything to do with competition and nothing to do with the common good, and IMO if the project does go through, then a few years down the road the other 2 stores will be closed to make way for a "Super Center" at the PI location because of its visibility.

I used to shop at WM when our kids were little and our town didn't have other outlets for things I needed at a price I could pay....and it seemed ok at the time. Now I realize that the reason those other places didn't exist was because of WM- in our rural town the independents could not compete, and because we were so rural all the other little burgs supplied it's consumer base. Live and learn, ya know?

So I have a question for y'all. Is there a way to investigate environmental "issues" that could stop the project? I was thinking that an approach from that angle may be a good one to stop the project dead in its tracks and prevent it from coming up again...at least there. Anybody got a rare Trillium or a Snail Darter they could toss over there?
I even saw in one approach in CA that they tried to stop it by claiming environmental impact of releasing asbestos into the surrounding community when tearing down the old buildings...it didn't work, because it was too late in the game, but it was an interesting angle.

I'll say one thing, with all that ugly parking along the highway and for a mega store at that, PI will no longer be Arrogantly
Shabby; the arrogance will be gone.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
New poll in the Georgetown Times. The results at this point are depressing, so get in there and vote

Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Thank you neece; vote entered.
My problem is that my only direct connection at this time is a 2 week delayed delivery of the Observer!!! I need to get the times on my computer radar!

Have there been any serious efforts to rally the PI residents who will be the most directly affected by this?
Anyone else writting letters?
You know, Sam Walton said that Walmart would never go where they aren't wanted because there is always someone who will accept them.....So let it be known that residents of Pawleys Island DO NOT Want WALMART!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
Apparently folks are mobilizing and have created the following venues to spread the word.

Don't Box The Neck

Don't Box the Neck

https://www.facebook.com/DontBoxTheNeck

https://twitter.com/DontBoxtheNeck

As for environmental issues, I know there was talk years ago about the dry cleaners dumping their waste material behind that plaza for many years. I don't know if it is true or just a rumor, but if it is true that would be a mess to clean up.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks Baylovers. I don't participate in those social sites, so was unaware of the breadth of that effort.
Also, noted that yesterday the poll by the Georgetown paper has changed significantly in the NO category...Yippee!

By environmental issus, I was thinking in terms of the effects of the runoff from that huge parking area, or some endangered critter or plant that may live in that 7 acres slated for clearing as part of the project....something that creating this expanded site will damage or affect adversely; a reason for the project to be stopped aside from the negative emotional aspect. I really think that the property owners and their potential clients don't give one hoot about the emotions of the area residents, so I was trying to think of legitimate reasons that it should be shut down which have nothing to do with people's feelings.
Still working.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area