Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,718,038 times

Advertisements

So. quick perusal of a google search " wal mart in pawleys island" revealed that there is a group petitioning walmart already. signon.org has the petition if you care to participate.
Other resources about the story can be found on WPDE, Georgetown Times, and Coastal Observer.
Looks like SEPT 20 is the council meeting- don't know if we will be able to get there, but I sure hope that as many of you as possible will show up and show your dismay at this action.
If y'all get any further information about contacting officials or "primaries" to protest this action, please post here.
It looks like its too late to defer the Litchfield Promenade project, but lets not loose sight of that problem in all of this. Those developers are probably glad for the diversion of attention from their intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,515 times
Awesome info, busydesk. I can't sign the petition since I don't actually live in Pawleys Island but I will try to spread the word and cheer y'all on from the sidelines!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,718,038 times
Me, too neecewh....not yet anyway.
But that won't stop me from putting pen to paper and getting some more stamps!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Now this Walmart is going into the Pawley's Plaza, or so I read. Does this mean they won't have to clear any land or will they still need to as they might want more space? I read it will be a smaller WM. It'd be nice if they could take advantage of any land that is already cleared and not being used instead of cutting down more trees and such.
Well, yes and no... As usual, the devil is in the details, and all the details are not yet available. A developer bought an older, underutilized commercial property that has been in and out of foreclosure. It currently contains a fairly popular Tuesday Morning, a NAPA auto parts store, and several other small biz's. According to my understanding, in order to circumvent the existing restrictions on bldg size and design, the developer is planning to bulldoze the current bldgs, and build WallyWorld further back from the hwy. That will require significant clearing of wooded areas. (See photo below). Developers in this part of the world are masters at bending the rules, rather than complying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Both urge everyone to contact your county officials and express your opposition to the Walmart...
Yep, they are obviously the key since they have the last word. The representative from PI when Lowe's was defeated is no longer on the council, and is sorely missed. His opposition in 2005 was pivotal. The current representative doesn't generate much confidence in a fight. Of the times I've tried to email him, I have never received an acknowledgment, much less an answer. Several others have never failed to provide a thoughtful response anytime I contacted them. There are 3 members of county council who were in office in 2005. Two of them voted against Lowe's, one of them voted for it. I was told by pretty good sources the final vote reflected the wishes of the council person representing PI. Still the vote was very close, 4-3 against.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area