Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
If you don't like it, don't read it.
If you're referring to your other thread about hating the area, I stopped reading that months ago. I agree that seeing trees cut down is sad. Though it happens everywhere, even the enchanted land of Seattle. Enough though, not into verbal battles.

PS-I must have some support as I recieved multiple rep points from people after my initial response. No hard feelings, and I am being serious. I hate Michigan, and can't wait to leave so I share that in common with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Did we see on the evening (local) news that they are planning a Walmart in PI?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 PM

214 posts, read 649,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
If you're referring to your other thread about hating the area, I stopped reading that months ago. I agree that seeing trees cut down is sad. Though it happens everywhere, even the enchanted land of Seattle. Enough though, not into verbal battles.

PS-I must have some support as I recieved multiple rep points from people after my initial response. No hard feelings, and I am being serious. I hate Michigan, and can't wait to leave so I share that in common with you.

Yet you know how many pages its at......

Your not into verbal battles yet you just couldn't help but post a snide remark in your first post......and second. If you go for 3 maybe you will get more rep points! Crazy Friday night!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Yet you know how many pages its at......

Your not into verbal battles yet you just couldn't help but post a snide remark in your first post......and second. If you go for 3 maybe you will get more rep points! Crazy Friday night!
Good day, Scotty. Let this end our back-n-forth and return to what this thread was about: Promenade at Litchfield.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Found out yesterday PI is gonna get our own Walmart.
Now this Walmart is going into the Pawley's Plaza, or so I read. Does this mean they won't have to clear any land or will they still need to as they might want more space? I read it will be a smaller WM. It'd be nice if they could take advantage of any land that is already cleared and not being used instead of cutting down more trees and such.

It's amazes me even here in MI, where there are dozens of vacant buildings and houses, a new business is coming to town next month and they opted to build in an area they have to clear out instead of utilizing what's already been cleared.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Found out yesterday PI is gonna get our own Walmart. I guess it's too far to drive to Garden City or Georgetown. (
This is the most absurd and depressing thing that could happen to Pawleys Island and drops the Promenade at Litchfield to a much lesser intrusion. I read this morning that there are those who are trying to stop this from happening. I hope everyone who lives there actively starts kicking up their heels. Pawleys Island is a quaint little town because it doesn't have big box stores like Walmart. The addition of such would change its charm and character forever.

Quote:
We have managed to mutate all of that into one long gigantic strip mall. If ever there's an example of literally loving a place to death, it's the Grand Strand. I just feel bad for the natives, wherever they are. Don't know what you got till it's gone...
So true People in Pawleys need to get ticked off and make their voices heard. I lived in a small town for a brief period (in a previous life) and it was a constant fight to try to keep things as they were - a battle we ultimately lost. The last time I visited I didn't even recognize the place. Unfortunately, sometimes convenience and new jobs sways the public - neither of which should be in the forefront of the residents' minds.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
...People in Pawleys need to get ticked off and make their voices heard...
We were involved with "Don't Box the Neck" in 2005, a grassroots campaign which was a factor in keeping Lowe's from opening a store in PI. Much has changed since those days. Many of those involved were either natives or had chosen to live in Pawleys precisely because it was not a big-box atmosphere. The majority of our population now live here for 2 reasons - warm winters and low taxes. I've already heard several neighbors say they can't wait for WallyWorld to open.

The fight against Lowe's was also fortunate to have the support of several well-connected citizens. They were effective in swaying our representative on County Council toward opposing the proposal. In the end, on a very close vote, County Council respected the wishes of the councilman responsible for this location. Today, we are represented by a rabid teabagger. Whatever business wants, business gets.

There will be some opposition. I hope the island locals will come out strongly against it, because they are the face of old PI. Regardless, I don't expect the same results as 2005.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Well, LET'S GET STARTED!!!!!
Don't know how it works, but I'm "in". We won't be out-of-staters forever, but we chose PI because there ISN'T Wal-Mart, etc.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Busydesk, If you are on facebook there are 2 specific pages sharing information on this.

Don't Box the Neck | Facebook

Keep Pawleys Island Walmart-Free | Facebook

Both urge everyone to contact your county officials and express your opposition to the Walmart. Contact information for doing such is on both pages. If you aren't on facebook, here is a link to the information. If you are on facebook don't forget to share the pages and spread the word. Hopefully PD will know of something happening on the ground and not just in the virtual world.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
I'm not on facebook neecewh, so thanks tons for the link.
Generally I'm a pretty quiet and laid back person, but not on this. 'Preciate the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area