Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,882,315 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. DH and I have enjoyed our place for the last 3 years in Garden City. We wanted to get a flavor for the area - traffic/costs/etc.. before deciding if we wanted a long-term plan to permanently relocate. After a recent visit, DH said that our 5 year plan should be to sell our condo (when the market stabilizes) and to look for a house within a 3 blocks of the beach (not on the opposite side of 17!) in the Litchfield/Pawleys area. In Garden City we found several neat complexs....small villages of Carolina style beach cottages with a shared, nice community pool. We aren't looking for a big development or a McMansion. I want to go ahead and begin to do some research on costs/HOA/maintenance for individual homes so that I can plan our budget. PawleysDude..I hope that you read this....I'm really looking to get the names of some places I can check out. As far as I have seen in Pawleys and Litchfield, that close to the beach, I've only seen individual homes...no little village-style clusters. I hope there is something for us down that way...... Thanks in advance, y'all! OH- and my FREE gift to you: Locals, if you haven't eaten at Finnochios in Garden City, you are missing out on some REALLY good Italian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,844,494 times
Hey Tina - You caught me headin' out the door to Chasn, so just some quick thoughts. I know the type of places you're talking about, but offhand, nothing like that springs to mind on the east side of Hwy 17 in Litchfield/PI. Most of the area in PI between 17 and the creek is older, residential stuff, a real mixed bag of high-end, medium-end, low-end. Old-time beach town. There are a couple small neighborhoods off to the right of the South Causeway. Rose Run is the only name that comes to mind. Again, it's older stuff I think, but you might see something appealing. I haven't really driven thru those neighborhoods in quite awhile, so not sure what you'd see.

Much of Litchfield and N Litchfield east of 17 is similar, just a little higher end. A lot of it was built before the planned community types of things. There are some newer small sections off of both Trace Drive and Boyle Road as they enter North Litchfield. I don't know that any of them have neighborhood names, just groupings of new "beachy" places. It would probably require riding thru that area to get a feel for where and what they are.

I'll give it a little more thought and get back to you. Be sure to pay attention to homeowner's insurance in this area. The few folks I know that live on the east side of 17 down here say it's a killer, if they can get it.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks, PD. And, especially, thanks for the heads up about the insurance costs! Please do share any info that you think might be helpful as I go through this process. And I hope that you are having a blast in Charleston today!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,887,592 times
Off the top of my head I cannot think of any community on the east side of Hwy 17 in Litchfield or Pawleys that fits what you describe. Most of the communities east of 17 do not have a pool except for "The Enclave" which only has two houses built so far & Pawleys Plantation. The developments PD is thinking of is Pawleys Landing & Reef Run. Nice modest homes (about 2000 sq ft) with little crime. Not sure what the HOA would be. Pawleys Island would be closest beach but no golf carts allowed on the island.

West of 17 I would look at River Club, Litchfield Country Club, Tradition Club for starters. Tradition club, along with other "Litchfield Company" managed properties has access to Litchfield by the Sea beaches with parking.... accessible by golf cart, too. Hope this is helpful.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Thanks Baylovers...it does help tremendously! I'm making a list of areas to visit and research on my next trip down. If any others spring to mind, please do send them my way.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,166,550 times
Pawleys will not have housing clusters that you are looking for. Most of the year round residents live on the north side of the island.

I think they only have those in Surfside. There is however some really cool homes on the point in Garden City.

Can't tell you about Litchfield as we never make it pass the inn.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Tina - Baylovers nailed the other places I was trying to think of along the Causeway. Like I said, it's been awhile, but I don't think those match the style you're talking about, and I don't recall a community pool but I could be wrong. There are other scattered small groupings of homes in Pawleys on the east side of 17, but you have to keep in mind that Pawleys Creek and the marshes are between the Pawleys mainland and the ocean. Some of these are very nice (pricey) with great views but no beach access unless you drive down to the island or up to one of the Litchfield beaches. Since, as Baylovers pointed out, you cannot drive golf carts onto the Island, even the homes along the Causeways are not "quick" beach access except by bike. That makes carrying an umbrella, cooler, two beach chairs, a beach ball, and the other usual essentials a little tough.

The closest thing I could think of in this area to your wish list might be Waccamaw Trace, located just off Boyle Rd in North Litchfield, near where it meets Hwy 17. They have a community pool, which is unusual on the ocean side of 17. It's probably a little more than 3 blocks but still easy access if you have a golf cart. The homes I've seen listed in there were in the $600K range, but I don't know if that's representative.

Of course, there's always the oceanfront homes on Pawleys Island, itself. A small little community with raised Carolina beach homes, and they all have a BIG "community" pool right outside their back door.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

thanks for all of the info guys...I'm going back to do my "research" soon! We were in Charleston last weekend looking around as well. If anyone has any ideas about that area, please share them as well.... And PD, thanks for always going the extra mile for me. Much appreciated! Can't give you more rep so sending good Karma your way Same for you Baylovers and Blueherons.....

Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 AM

790 posts, read 1,631,292 times
We also looked in Charleston before deciding on Myrtle Beach. We fell in love with a quaint, little town named Summerville which you should check out. We would have moved there had it been closer to the beach, but the hour drive was further away than we wanted to be. We decided on MB so we could be 10 minutes away instead.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
We were in Charleston last weekend looking around as well...
Hey Tina - It's been awhile, but we looked at Chasn also when we were moving. We had been stationed there several lifetimes ago and still luv the area. We looked primarily around Mt Pleasant but were seriously turned off by the traffic and limited beach access. We also really liked the Folly Beach area and John's Island, but at that time there were not options in those areas that met our budget and were beach-convenient. I still think it would be a neat place to live if you can find the right place. Still, it's an easy drive from PI. We go down there frequently. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area