Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
We were on the road by 12:50 ( a bit before) It was really beautiful and the family loved the entire meal and scenery. The boys "best meal"...
Except their "best meal" was also at the Pirates Voyage.LOL
We didn't even arrive until about 1:30. I was in a panic over not being able to find a ring that I wanted to wear. Thought I had lost it. I'll continue this on facebook with you, where it really belongs, haha! Glad your little ones had so much fun at Pirates Voyage!

I know this is completely off topic (as are the last two posts) but Gulf Stream Cafe is a wonderful place to eat. Great food, wonderful service and just a spectacular view of the inlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 PM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience to warn us; very sorry that happened to you. I used to pack the car the night before we headed home from vacations...no more.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM

89 posts, read 251,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Your hubcaps were piled up next to the car? How polite, lol.

That's what we couldn't believe--that this person (or people) decided to steal our possessions, yet they left the car in perfect condition and even locked it back up...wouldn't want anyone getting in and stealing anything, right? We checked under the hood and everything appeared to be fine as well, and we drove it home yesterday, all 800+ miles, and it was perfect all the way, so we figure that the reason the hood was popped was that they probably gained entry with a slim jim and accidentally popped the hood while fumbling around for the trunk release button.

This was our fifth trip to MB, and we have never had a bad experience of any kind there (unless you count the unfortunate price of the buffet at Benjamin's, lol) and may never have anything like this happen again. What we have experienced is meeting some of the nicest people we have ever met and making wonderful family memories. We don't plan to let this incident spoil MB for us at all, we will just be more careful in the future.
Most thefts of this kind, the burglar is looking for things for themselves or to pawn...leaving your car was not a surprise...that wasn't their intent or what they were looking for...mostly around here, the theft is petty for posessions or things to pawn...petty thefts for some quick money. Sorry about this...take care!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Most thefts of this kind, the burglar is looking for things for themselves or to pawn...leaving your car was not a surprise...that wasn't their intent or what they were looking for...mostly around here, the theft is petty for posessions or things to pawn...petty thefts for some quick money. Sorry about this...take care!
Yep, that's what we figured, that they were most likely just petty thieves looking for small but valuable items to sell, such as jewelry, cameras, etc., none of which we ever keep in our suitcase, thank God. However, I found it so strange that they appeared to have taken such care not to damage the car and even locked it back up when they were done! You would think that people who steal others' possessions would care less than nothing about breaking out a car window or destroying a lock in the interest of haste, and definitely wouldn't even entertain the thought of locking the doors back up, but these were "polite thieves", if such a thing exists. Weird... Fortunate for us, but weird.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM

89 posts, read 251,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yep, that's what we figured, that they were most likely just petty thieves looking for small but valuable items to sell, such as jewelry, cameras, etc., none of which we ever keep in our suitcase, thank God. However, I found it so strange that they appeared to have taken such care not to damage the car and even locked it back up when they were done! You would think that people who steal others' possessions would care less than nothing about breaking out a car window or destroying a lock in the interest of haste, and definitely wouldn't even entertain the thought of locking the doors back up, but these were "polite thieves", if such a thing exists. Weird... Fortunate for us, but weird.
It is weird...they seem to be seasoned thieves...that is for sure....they probably didn't want to bring attention to themselves....again sorry about this...have a great week!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
My guess is that they locked the doors hoping that you'd not suspect the car had been broken into and drive home without opening the trunk. That way, you'd be far away before discovering the crime giving them more time to do whatever they were going to do with their ill-gotten "goods."

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

40 posts, read 86,314 times
They might not be so polite, some cars will automatically re lock the door if the car is not started in a certain amount of time.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Wow that's unfortunate.

I've never thought of packing my car the night before. Does it really save time?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM

62 posts, read 125,325 times
Terrible. I can imagine you feel violated, I would.

I asked my husband to please not leave any valuables ( my grandmothers dishes! ) in the back of the truck while traveling down from MA.

Long ride, lots of stops...Our vehicle is alarmed thank goodness, doesn't stop them from trying I guess. Even if the alarm went off, people ignore as they go off all the time.

Thankfully, no issues so far down here. * knocks wood *

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
If you are travelling with a car that has a remote door opener, that could be the source of entry for the thieves. Sounds weird, I know, but there is a device that thieves use which somehow "captures" the code when you activate the remote and open your car door. So, if you are out shopping and lock the car using the remote, as so many of us do, they use this device to re-open your car and never have to jimmy locks or damage the vehicle. A friend of mine was victimized with one of these...at a mall...thankfully not during the holidays. The theory is that when she took her first purchases to the car and used the remote the thieves got her code, and when she left to continue her shopping they opened the car with the device ( using the code and never leaving a mark on the car) and cleaned her out. So, the detectives told her not to use her remote opener any more but manually lock and unlock her car from now on whenever she is out and about.
Something to think about, anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area