Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 31,859 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
We bought a condo in Murrels Inlet about a year and a half ago. We spend as much time as possible there (summer and all school breaks). I was just wondering if any of the attractions, restaurants, etc offer a discount for locals.
Thanks for the info!
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 AM

790 posts, read 1,627,094 times
There are many businesses that offer a locals discount. You must, however, present a valid SC driver's license to qualify. Since it appears from your post that you only visit here even though you own property here and probably still retain your residency in another state, you would not qualify for the discounts.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,806 times
I have never been asked to provide a driver's license or any other proof of residency in order to qualify for a local's discount except for government agencies such as SSB PD in order to obtain a parking permit, or free pass to the pier, etc. Also, after you frequent local stores and businesses, they will come to know you and you them. Small town feel when the tourist season whittles down. People get to know you and remember you and become your friends. We have had this happen in quite a large range of areas, etc. It's a very friendly place to live and if you own property here, then you are def a local! Our friends and discount things range from the north end of MB and all the way down to Georgetown. All you need to do is to get out and meet people.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,016,850 times
Some of the businesses in N. Myrtle will offer a discount to those who have an SOS card (Society of Stranders)....

Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM

142 posts, read 363,891 times
Some businesses offer Locals a discount, some will take your word for it, some want a drivers license, some will accept a copy of your electric or water bill and some will not. Most golf courses if they offer a local discount want a drivers license, even if I walk in to pay for the foursome, they have asked for the others to come in and show ID, they know the games played, a local shows ID and trys to get his out of town friends the local rate.

I have found that even if a Locals rate is offered, I can do better by going to Google and typing in the business name, town and discount or coupon and find offers, your in the Inlet so it would look like this
"old world italian murrells inlet coupon"

Gary

Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
There are many businesses that offer a locals discount. You must, however, present a valid SC driver's license to qualify. Since it appears from your post that you only visit here even though you own property here and probably still retain your residency in another state, you would not qualify for the discounts.
Anywhere I've ever worked required a valid local drivers license for a discount.

I was surprised by the number of people from Wilmington and Florence that tried to get a local discount.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Like I mentioned before, I have never had an issue about getting a local's discount. Never had anyone other than a government agency ask me for an ID. All I ever have done is after being given a bill for something, asked if I could get a local's discount and almost every time I got that and never had anyone question me at all about any proof that I was a local.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times
If you go to a golf course and want a "local" price you will have to show your SC license.
We have had some friends who lived in two states have to change their license to here for just
that reason.
I've known of some that had to show their license for a local show price.
So it might be best not to assume that you will get the local price.
I just don't seem to have the luck of our Vrexy.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Like I mentioned before, I have never had an issue about getting a local's discount. Never had anyone other than a government agency ask me for an ID. All I ever have done is after being given a bill for something, asked if I could get a local's discount and almost every time I got that and never had anyone question me at all about any proof that I was a local.
I would guess that most things don't require a local ID. Places like the aquarium that offer buy one get one free for locals require an ID because they run that all year long.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM

blueherons, I did not know that the aquarium offered BOGO. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area