Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 AM

96 posts, read 220,728 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks for any replies. I am looking for some personal opinions on the area. How is the area for raising a family? Whats your opinions of schools(both St James and Waccama). Is there fairly easy public beach access in both areas? If employment was not an issue would this area be a great place to raise 10 year old boy? Thanks for all replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,073 times
You've come to the right place for opinions, we are fully stocked with 'em. Here's mine -

At least initially, moving to this area depends a lot upon why you're moving, where you're moving from, and most of all, your expectations. Everybody's mileage varies. For many folks, the honeymoon lasts a couple years, and then they start missing everything they were accustomed to in the past, whatever that was - family, seasons, bagels, good Italian food, Southern accents, whatever... Eventually, living here becomes like everywhere else, it has good points and bad points.

The PI/MI area has a lot to offer in outdoor recreation - state park, beaches, salt water, fresh water river, Brookgreen Gardens, etc. Lots of restaurants, mostly catering to tourists, which means they tend to be expensive and have a "head 'em up & move 'em out" mentality. There are always exceptions, but friendly, reasonably priced, feel-at-home meals are hard to come by. The area also has lots of tourists, crowded roads, heat & humidity in the summer, alligators, snakes, mosquitos, palmetto bugs, and republicans. Many folks are being honest when they say they've never seen a snake around here. Those folks are spending too much time in the shopping centers and not experiencing the true coastal lowcountry. If those things don't bother you, you'll have a better chance of being happy here.

Our kids are grown, so there are others who can better advise you regarding your son. Our neighborhood is kid-friendly, has too many of 'em , and most families seem to be content with their choice. Our friends who have kids in the Waccamaw schools seem to be pleased, and I've heard good things about St James, but have no experience with it.

You'll have several beach options, but IMO, Huntington Beach State Park is by far the best option. Annual passes for residents run around $30. There are free public beach access areas in PI, Garden City, Surfside, but during summer months, they tend to be much more crowded and parking is a royal PITA. When we go to the beach, we rarely go anywhere other than Huntington.

Do NOT downplay the jobs situation. Moving here (or anywhere) without firm jobs is a big mistake. For the umpteenth consecutive time, the recent US Bureau of Labor Statistics study places Horry County (Myrtle Beach) wages as the LOWEST among the 327 largest counties in the US. Georgetown County (PI and parts of MI) wages are about the same or a little worse. The area is dominated by tourism/hospitality jobs and surrounding counties have some of the highest unemployment rates in SC.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 01-22-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You've come to the right place for opinions, we are fully stocked with 'em. Here's mine -

At least initially, moving to this area depends a lot upon why you're moving, where you're moving from, and most of all, your expectations. Everybody's mileage varies. For many folks, the honeymoon lasts a couple years, and then they start missing everything they were accustomed to in the past, whatever that was - family, seasons, bagels, good Italian food, Southern accents, whatever... Eventually, living here becomes like everywhere else, it has good points and bad point

The PI/MI area has a lot to offer in outdoor recreation - state park, beaches, salt water, fresh water river, Brookgreen Gardens, etc. Lots of restaurants, mostly catering to tourists, which means they tend to be expensive and have a "head 'em up & move 'em out" mentality. There are always exceptions, but friendly, reasonably priced, feel-at-home meals are hard to come by. The area also has lots of tourists, crowded roads, heat & humidity in the summer, alligators, snakes, mosquitos, palmetto bugs, and republicans. Many folks are being honest when they say they've never seen a snake around here. Those folks are spending too much time in the shopping centers and not experiencing the true coastal lowcountry. If those things don't bother you, you'll have a better chance of being happy here.

Our kids are grown, so there are others who can better advise you regarding your son. Our neighborhood is kid-friendly, has too many of 'em , and most families seem to be content with their choice. Our friends who have kids in the Waccamaw schools seem to be pleased, and I've heard good things about St James, but have no experience with it.

You'll have several beach options, but IMO, Huntington Beach State Park is by far the best option. Annual passes for residents run around $30. There are free public beach access areas in PI, Garden City, Surfside, but during summer months, they tend to be much more crowded and parking is a royal PITA. When we go to the beach, we rarely go anywhere other than Huntington.

Do NOT downplay the jobs situation. Moving here (or anywhere) without firm jobs is a big mistake. For the umpteenth consecutive time, the recent US Bureau of Labor Statistics study places Horry County (Myrtle Beach) wages as the LOWEST among the 327 largest counties in the US. Georgetown County (PI and parts of MI) wages are about the same or a little worse. The area is dominated by tourism/hospitality jobs and surrounding counties have some of the highest unemployment rates in SC.
Thanks for the great reply and honest insight. As you pointed out I guess many thing are relative. Right now I have a shore place within 2 miles of the MTV show Jersey Shore with snookie. I hope the summer crowds are not that bad LOL. Boy I hope I never start missing the things that I moved from(except tasty cakes,soft pretzels, and hoagies). Your description of the outdoors sounds like a dream list. Is there a good number of gators in the river? Is Pawleys a little slow paced than MI? IYO How are new residents of the community treated? When kids grow up from the area do the stay and raise families or move away? Thanks again for your time and insight

Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

IYO have you seen much change in the community do to the economic conditions? I think what I am trying to say is it mainly spec buyers that are getting forclosed or is it families?................ Do think a retiree with $40,000 annual income and buys a home and carries no mortgage could live comfortably in the area? Thanks again for you replies

Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
Hello all and thanks for any replies. I am looking for some personal opinions on the area. How is the area for raising a family? Whats your opinions of schools(both St James and Waccama). Is there fairly easy public beach access in both areas? If employment was not an issue would this area be a great place to raise 10 year old boy? Thanks for all replies
Seabass, I am a little north of MI and PI in Surfside Beach and I think it is a great place to raise kids in comparison to the north east area (MD, PA, NJ). I have 3 kids (4, 6, and almost 20 ) and they all love it here. We always seem to be able to find plenty to do and the weather, for the most part, is much better than up north. I can't comment on the schools you asked about except to reiterate what PD said, that I have heard good things about those particular schools.

Quote:
. Previously posted by PD: For many folks, the honeymoon lasts a couple years, and then they start missing everything they were accustomed to in the past, whatever that was - family, seasons, bagels, good Italian food, Southern accents, whatever... Eventually, living here becomes like everywhere else, it has good points and bad points.
Seabass, keep in mind I have only lived here for a year and a half so I am still on my honeymoon. That being said, I haven't even had a moment where I missed anything other than family, but then I realized I see them more often living here than I did when I was within 100 miles of most of them so that passed quickly and isn't an issue. As for food, I have found most things are available here if you just poke around a little and I can cook, so duplicating anything I may miss is no problem. As for your short list Seabass, hoagies you can find, soft pretzels you will have to learn to make (unless you are satisfied with frozen super pretzels from the supermarket, and as for tasty cake (luckily they avoided bankruptcy or you would miss them even if you stayed up there) I can't say because I haven't looked for them.

Quote:
Quoted from PD's post: The area also has lots of tourists, crowded roads, heat & humidity in the summer, alligators, snakes, mosquitos, palmetto bugs, and republicans.
LOL and unlike the aligators, snakes, mosquitos, and palmetto bugs I have met some that I like.
Quote:
Many folks are being honest when they say they've never seen a snake around here. Those folks are spending too much time in the shopping centers and not experiencing the true coastal lowcountry
I have only seen one dead one, and I seldom shop except for groceries. PD I need to know where you hang out so I can avoid those places. It isn't that I am not fond of you, quite the contrary, but the slimy, slithering, company you keep is something I would prefer to avoid.

Quote:
Seabass asked: How are new residents of the community treated?
I think the people down here are wonderful. I have never met such lovely, helpful, kindhearted people in all of my life ... and, luckily this is quite contagious and even us transplants are not immune

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,628 times
Quote:
Do think a retiree with $40,000 annual income and buys a home and carries no mortgage could live comfortably in the area?
Unless you have extravagant taste, I don't think you would have any problem doing that.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Seabass, I am a little north of MI and PI in Surfside Beach and I think it is a great place to raise kids in comparison to the north east area (MD, PA, NJ). I have 3 kids (4, 6, and almost 20 ) and they all love it here. We always seem to be able to find plenty to do and the weather, for the most part, is much better than up north. I can't comment on the schools you asked about except to reiterate what PD said, that I have heard good things about those particular schools.

Seabass, keep in mind I have only lived here for a year and a half so I am still on my honeymoon. That being said, I haven't even had a moment where I missed anything other than family, but then I realized I see them more often living here than I did when I was within 100 miles of most of them so that passed quickly and isn't an issue. As for food, I have found most things are available here if you just poke around a little and I can cook, so duplicating anything I may miss is no problem. As for your short list Seabass, hoagies you can find, soft pretzels you will have to learn to make (unless you are satisfied with frozen super pretzels from the supermarket, and as for tasty cake (luckily they avoided bankruptcy or you would miss them even if you stayed up there) I can't say because I haven't looked for them.

LOL and unlike the aligators, snakes, mosquitos, and palmetto bugs I have met some that I like. I have only seen one dead one, and I seldom shop except for groceries. PD I need to know where you hang out so I can avoid those places. It isn't that I am not fond of you, quite the contrary, but the slimy, slithering, company you keep is something I would prefer to avoid.

I think the people down here are wonderful. I have never met such lovely, helpful, kindhearted people in all of my life ... and, luckily this is quite contagious and even us transplants are not immune
Great post made me smile Sounds like if I keep the political signs off the lawn I may be ok

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM

343 posts, read 727,268 times
You can get both hoagies and Tastykakes at any Jersey Mike's sub shop.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Is there a good number of gators in the river? Is Pawleys a little slow paced than MI? IYO How are new residents of the community treated?
SC's gator population has recovered to the point that the state re-opened a gator hunting season a couple years ago. The largest I recall being caught around here was about 14', 1000# or so. If you're in a fast boat running down the middle of the river, you'll never know they're there. If you're iding or kayaking the creeks and looking for them, it would be very unusual not to see several on every trip during summer months. Also, most ponds of any size in golf courses or neighborhoods will usually have their resident gator.

At one time not too awfully long ago, PI was an eclectic, laid-back kind of place, whlie MI was mostly woods with a fishing village. As development has overtaken the area, most of the residential areas in both places are now domesticated, pasteurized planned neighborhoods that could be picked up and dropped into just about any state without looking out of place. IMO, there's not much difference between the two locations until you get very close to the commercial areas. PI's commercial area is a little more reserved, focusing on shopping and eating. MI's commercial area is larger, including more businesses, medical facilities, etc. It also has quite a bit more entertainment businesses as you get closer to the MarshWalk.

Quote:
When kids grow up from the area do the stay and raise families or move away?
LOL! I've never seen any studies for this area, but I doubt it's much different than other places, or at least other places in SC. I suspect it depends a lot upon their education and interests. If they become doctors, lawyers, realtors, they have opportunities in this area. If they become engineers, scientists, jet pilots, it's likely they'll need to relocate to find good jobs.

Quote:
is it mainly spec buyers that are getting forclosed or is it families?
It's important to distinguish between resort properties right along the coast, and residential areas that may be a little further inland. I'm not sure there is a lot of spec buying that goes on in the residential areas, except possibly for lots that were bought for possible long-term appreciation. Foreclosures have hit both segments hard. In resort areas, it's likely to be speculators and second-home buyers. In the neighborhoods, families have been hit hard. The impact down here may be lessened a little because there are so many retirees who sold homes in the NE and were able to buy down here without mortgages. Still for the retirees who decided or were forced to move back, they've taken a beating on home prices. 4 or 5 years ago, builders were building spec homes all over the place, with expectations of quick sales. That came to a dead stop. In just the past year, I've seen a few spec homes start to pop up, but they're smaller, less expensive, and probably because so many folks in construction are desperate to work at about any rate, just to pay bills. The housing situation is not pretty down here, and I don't look for serious recovery, until retirees from higher latitudes are once again able to sell the homes they currently own. More than anything else, that segment now drives our economy and our housing market.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I have only seen one dead one, and I seldom shop except for groceries. PD I need to know where you hang out so I can avoid those places. It isn't that I am not fond of you, quite the contrary, but the slimy, slithering, company you keep is something I would prefer to avoid.
Mornin' neecie. I'm guessing it's 'cause you live on the ritzier side of Hwy 17. Without benefit of any facts, I suspect there's a higher population of snakes and other disagreeable culprits that prefer to hang out with us low-lifes over near the river. Still, I've seen a number of snakes in Huntington St Park, particularly on the nature trail. Also, as we both know, you're more social than I am. My hangouts are usually devoid of people, and other creatures move into fill the vacuum. Still, I agree the natural inhabitants are quickly being displaced as the population continues to overrun the area. Most of all, you just gotta look for 'em.

I think I posted this before, but we had a hogsnake take up residence in our yard last summer. Entirely harmless, but still large enough to get your attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area