Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 26,431 times

Advertisements

Oh boy! That picture gave me the willies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM

40 posts, read 147,823 times
Default PawleysDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Well, the northern edge of PI borders the Southern edge of MI, so it depends on from which part you're starting to which part you're going. To make it a little more confusing, the northern end of PI is often referred to as Litchfield, which was some marketing guy's clever attempt to, at one time, create an "upscale" PI. From a post office point of view, there is no Litchfield, with their mail delivered to PI. From the middle of PI to the MarshWalk restaurants in MI is about 15 minutes. We do our grocery shopping at grocery stores and produce stands. PI has a Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and a Fresh Market is under construction. It's a small town, about like any other small town, except that it's also a tourist town, which means price gouging is encouraged.

To avoid confusing either of us, there are two distinct portions of PI. The actual resort island is a narrow barrier island about 3.5 miles long. It has about 100 +/- permanent residents and a bunch of vacation rental properties. There are no commercial activities on the island with the exception of a couple inns. The Town of PI (a municipal gov't) includes only the island itself. Properties on the island start around $1million and go up to the $4million range. A quick drive across either of two very short causeways takes you to mainland PI, where most PI residents live and includes the schools and commercial area of PI. It is an unincorporated area of Georgetown County. The island does not have a municipal tax, with tourism taxes paying the bills. Both the island and mainland pay county taxes. MI is also not a town, but another unincorporated area. Most of it is in Georgetown County, with a portion of MI in Horry County. There are a number of private waste management companies that serve the areas, and you can contract with any that service the neighborhood where you decide to live. Offhand, I don't know their rates, 'cause I take my trash to a recycling center. HTH.
Great post PawleysDude!! Good info! Brick

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM

96 posts, read 220,597 times
Again thanks to all for your replies. PawleyDudes post are like having a road map and tour guide all in one. I have spent many hours reading most of this forums past post and think its wonderful that so many have taken their time ( over several years) to share personal,informative and pertinent information. It pretty amazing to read about people and families that were considering relocating and all the un certainty that goes with it. Then read about their whole journey and how they are part of a community now. What an amazing tool to gain information on life changing decision.

This last weekend my family and myself made the best of a really rainy weekend. First we made a new friend from the Pawleys Island area, ate a ton of great food and toured a dozen houses between Murrells and Pawleys. We also sat down with some builders. What a great time.

A question I have is what do kids and teenagers do after school and weekends. Is there and area they go to meet up? A ball field or playground? How do they spend their free time and were to they go to interact with kids there own age? Thanks for any info

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
A question I have is what do kids and teenagers do after school and weekends...
Hmmm... the lack of responses just confirms my suspicions that nobody ever really knows where their kids are. In my neighborhood, the young ones roam the streets endlessly, with the boys cussin' loudly to p*ss off the adults while the girls giggle. The older ones cruise the neighborhood streets in 4-wheel drive pickups with glass packs, once again to p*ss off the adults and to see who can make the most noise. As I've said before, it's a typical small town.

During the summer a lot of the kids surf, or at least hang out on the beach with surfboards. Hunting also seems to be popular among the boys with driver's license, but interestingly, I don't see the same interest in fishing. In PI, several of the churches have organized youth programs, but I can't tell you how popular they are.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,625 times
Geez PD, unruly teenagers and snakes! YIKES! Hmmmmm if the teenagers have an aversion to snakes you may be able to use one to keep the others at bay.

Sorry Seabass, I missed your question about what kids do after school, I suspect it was my subconscious avoiding the thread with the picture of the snake. Still, I am afraid I can't offer much help. My oldest just turned 20 . He spends ALL his time, when not working, fishing. My other two are 4 and 6 so they only spend their time where we take them. We do have a baseball field in Surfside and a couple parks that are geared towards very young children. We also have tennis courts over by the library. There is also a great Water Park which, I would think, would be a popular hang out for kids in the summer months. There is also Fun Warehouse, with lazer tag and roller skating etc., but again that is in Surfside. To tell you the truth, though, there are very few teenagers in our neighborhood. We have a few with some young kids, but most of the children I have seen are just visiting the grandparents (which is probably what many think mine are doing ).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 14,496 times
I have lived here for 15 years, I work at a local restaurant in murrels inlet, right by Garden City.
There are a LOT of retired folks here, there are a lot of young families and there are a lot of Drunks in this area. Im just stating facts..a lot of the garden city area is Bars, where you will always see folks on bikes or mopeds riding from bar to bar or walking to the gas station with a case of beer in their hands when they come out. I work at a Family restaurant that has a Bar in it and even there we have a lot of problems with drunks coming in, bar hopping between restaurants.
I have younger brothers and sisters I have seen grow up here over the last 15 years, My children are now getting older and Im really considering leaving this beach and moving to a more consistent town.
You have to think, just as you want to move here thinking this is such a nice place because you come on vacation here....How many other people...from all walks of life are thinking the same thing.
You cant just let your children go have sleepovers with their friends, because so many people come and go, you have to be very wary of who your kids hang out with.
Im just stating my opinion of living in this area for 15 years...It use to thrive in the Summer and slowed in the winter. Now...we barely survive the winters and the summers are not that great..>Financially. So after 15 years of living here, having and losing our business, our home, etc... Now I considering a move away from here.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,496 times
However, I can say that Lakewood Elementary on 544, is one of the best elem schools around. You can look up the scores for the school to back this up.
An absolute warm, welcoming, challenging, ANTI BULLYING school.
We love it! My kids have went there since kindergarten.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM

253 posts, read 470,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You've come to the right place for opinions, we are fully stocked with 'em. Here's mine...

The area also has lots of ...republicans.

OMG, you mean I will not be the only democrat if I move to the area?

Am from SC originally and though from Columbia, lived at the beach, especially PI, when I was young. Have been stuck in Texas for 22 years and counting down the days until I can retire and finally get back to the beach!

PawleysDude, I have enjoyed these posts - you indeed are like a tour guide and it is much appreciated!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM

24 posts, read 104,452 times
When I moved here with my family 7 years ago, we were dead set on PI. My husband's family has had a house there for years. With that, we moved into his family's house while we looked for our own. In that four months, I had never been so bored in my life. While PI is laid back and beautiful, I don't think there is a whole lot to do, especially if you have kids. There are a few more restaurants there now than there were when we came, but it is definitely more laid back. There isn't a big choice with anything: shopping, restaurants, etc. Not sure what your kids could do down there.

We ended up in an area just north of Murrells Inlet but still several miles south of 544, and we love it!! We are close to everything and our little gem of a neighborhood (the Lakes on Bypass 17) is perfect (in my opinion). We have swans, ducks, and geese everywhere, and the houses aren't cookie cutter like many areas here. We are in the St. James School district and as a teacher myself, I couldn't be happier.

The high school kids go to Fun Warehouse on 544 and Broadway.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM

253 posts, read 470,631 times
otis987...I am so glad I read your post - this is the type of area we have been searching for! Being in Texas so long, I miss REAL trees and it saddens me to see how builders today simply clear-cut the land. We'll be in the area after 7/4 and will definitely check out the Lakes. Is homeowners ins. and HOA reasonable? Do you buy flood insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area