Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I'm guessing it's 'cause you live on the ritzier side of Hwy 17.
Well whip out the paddles and consider me shocked! Really? I guess there is a first time for everything. I knew I loved this place!

As for the picture of the snake, all that I can say is YIKES. We used to have some of those big guys about 10 feet from our front door in MD. They lived around our garden pond but I went in and out for months without knowing it. Imagine my surprise the day I came out and found them sunning themselves on some big rocks. We had more than our share up there. I probably wouldn't have such an aversion to them if I knew which ones could harm me and which ones were harmless. Maybe I should start a thread about local snakes to avoid. .... or is that more suited for the political forum?

Quote:
Teddyterp posted: You can get both hoagies and Tastykakes at any Jersey Mike's sub shop.
Teddyterp, where is Jersey Mike's and do they have good food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 PM

96 posts, read 220,352 times
Again thanks all for your detailed replies, they are really helpful. Here are a few more. How long of a drive is it from Pawleys Island to MI( how many minutes)? If you live in Pawleys where do you go for your groceries shopping. Is there a city tax in either location? What type of trash removal is in the area and what fees? Thanks again for all taking the time to reply.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
Again thanks all for your detailed replies, they are really helpful. Here are a few more. How long of a drive is it from Pawleys Island to MI( how many minutes)? If you live in Pawleys where do you go for your groceries shopping. Is there a city tax in either location? What type of trash removal is in the area and what fees? Thanks again for all taking the time to reply.
Well, the northern edge of PI borders the Southern edge of MI, so it depends on from which part you're starting to which part you're going. To make it a little more confusing, the northern end of PI is often referred to as Litchfield, which was some marketing guy's clever attempt to, at one time, create an "upscale" PI. From a post office point of view, there is no Litchfield, with their mail delivered to PI. From the middle of PI to the MarshWalk restaurants in MI is about 15 minutes. We do our grocery shopping at grocery stores and produce stands. PI has a Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and a Fresh Market is under construction. It's a small town, about like any other small town, except that it's also a tourist town, which means price gouging is encouraged.

To avoid confusing either of us, there are two distinct portions of PI. The actual resort island is a narrow barrier island about 3.5 miles long. It has about 100 +/- permanent residents and a bunch of vacation rental properties. There are no commercial activities on the island with the exception of a couple inns. The Town of PI (a municipal gov't) includes only the island itself. Properties on the island start around $1million and go up to the $4million range. A quick drive across either of two very short causeways takes you to mainland PI, where most PI residents live and includes the schools and commercial area of PI. It is an unincorporated area of Georgetown County. The island does not have a municipal tax, with tourism taxes paying the bills. Both the island and mainland pay county taxes. MI is also not a town, but another unincorporated area. Most of it is in Georgetown County, with a portion of MI in Horry County. There are a number of private waste management companies that serve the areas, and you can contract with any that service the neighborhood where you decide to live. Offhand, I don't know their rates, 'cause I take my trash to a recycling center. HTH.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Well whip out the paddles and consider me shocked! Really? I guess there is a first time for everything. I knew I loved this place!
Now, neecie, you know anybody within walking or golfcart distance of the beach is officially livin' in high cotton. The rest of us can only look on in awe.

Our closest Jersey Mike's is in MI on Hwy 17 across from the post office, in the same shopping center with the Piggly Wiggly. It's a chain, something like Subway. although a lot of folks say they're better. My son thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread. For me, not so much....

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Well, the northern edge of PI borders the Southern edge of MI, so it depends on from which part you're starting to which part you're going. To make it a little more confusing, the northern end of PI is often referred to as Litchfield, which was some marketing guy's clever attempt to, at one time, create an "upscale" PI. From a post office point of view, there is no Litchfield, with their mail delivered to PI. From the middle of PI to the MarshWalk restaurants in MI is about 15 minutes. We do our grocery shopping at grocery stores and produce stands. PI has a Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and a Fresh Market is under construction. It's a small town, about like any other small town, except that it's also a tourist town, which means price gouging is encouraged.

To avoid confusing either of us, there are two distinct portions of PI. The actual resort island is a narrow barrier island about 3.5 miles long. It has about 100 +/- permanent residents and a bunch of vacation rental properties. There are no commercial activities on the island with the exception of a couple inns. The Town of PI (a municipal gov't) includes only the island itself. Properties on the island start around $1million and go up to the $4million range. A quick drive across either of two very short causeways takes you to mainland PI, where most PI residents live and includes the schools and commercial area of PI. It is an unincorporated area of Georgetown County. The island does not have a municipal tax, with tourism taxes paying the bills. Both the island and mainland pay county taxes. MI is also not a town, but another unincorporated area. Most of it is in Georgetown County, with a portion of MI in Horry County. There are a number of private waste management companies that serve the areas, and you can contract with any that service the neighborhood where you decide to live. Offhand, I don't know their rates, 'cause I take my trash to a recycling center. HTH.
Pawleysdude,thanks for clearing that up about Litchfield that was going to be my next question LOL With the help of all the great replies it looks like I am narrowing in on the Pawleys area. I hope to be in the area in a day or two to take a closer look at the schools and community. Are you interested in grabbing lunch? It would sure be my pleasure.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Surfside, Murrells, Pawleys and Litchfield are all good places to live.

If I were moving to MB I would be moving to one of those areas.

I probably would lean towards living between Murrells to Pawleys around the Litchfield area.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Seabass, there is not a whole lot more that I can add to the great responses posted here. I have lived in Pawleys coming up on 5 years this summer... boy time flies! My step son graduated last year from Waccamaw HS and I thought it was a good school, unfortunately, he did not take advantage of the extra curricular activities. Of course, Friday night football is big, along with surfing, fishing, kayaking, water skiing, and hunting. Drinking is a big temptation among the HS'ers and marijuana is found from time to time. Harder drugs are not as common, but where there is a will there is a way. MB or Charleston is not that far!

I also have an 11 year old in the new Intermediate school that opened just over two years ago because of the rapid growth in the area. She has done well there making her second consecutive appearance on the honor roll (doting proud parent alert!). There are also many school activities that she participates in, including band, school play, tennis. There are baseball, football, soccer, track & many other sporting venues for your son.

We moved from Long Island and have not regretted it, although when I get back up to NY my first stop is either the deli or the pizza place.

BTW, Quigley's restaurant in Litchfield has a soft pretzel appetizer with either cheese or mustard!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM

40 posts, read 147,661 times
There is no better place. We chose Murrells Inlet. Access to Hunnington Beach and Brookgreen Gardens. Beautiful. I stay south of Hwy 544 for nearly everything. We moved here from Austin, TX (which we LOVED) 4 years ago and are so glad that we did. 40 k with no house payment is easily doable. The taxes on my property for a 300k house in Austin was $8500. We paid $679 last year for the same. We live in a golf course community. Although we're close to Myrtle Beach, it is like living in a National Geographic movie!!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks to all for the awesome replies. I spent the last few days checking out schools and driving around the area and could not of been happier with all the things I saw. The only downside was the 12inches of snow when I returned home. Looks like its time to call the Realtor. I think I will start a new thread to ask about Cable/INTERNET providers,electric rates and insurance agents. Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
I think I will start a new thread to ask about Cable/INTERNET providers,electric rates and insurance agents. Thanks
Seabass, try doing a forum search. If I recall correctly, I think there are a few recent threads on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area