Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
That's an interesting idea. They are definitely expanding. There are a bunch in Northern Virginia. The closest ones seem to be State College PA and Frederick, MD.

I've never been in one; wouldn't mind another option. They don't have big name recognition in our area so they might prefer to try a larger market such as Pittsburgh area first but who knows. How big are their stores?
75,000 sqf - 140,000 sqf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Looking at the plans, it does not look like a pharmacy drive through but a bank drive through on the left side of the building. Looks like three drive up lanes with a pass through lane. Also looks to be a covered outdoor sales area with a mezzanine above. I really cant place this store design other than Market District.

Also one of the restaurants has a trellis on the front of the building, what restaurant has that type of design, I assume Italian but I'm not sure.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 10-21-2016 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
I think the companies sinking money into this development are a bit premature, or are maybe realizing that they'll have stagnant businesses for the first few years while hoping development grows quickly to the west. The STC has been successful because it's either close to or accessible by most of Morgantown's population without much more than a few minute's worth of driving. This part of the county is not readily accessible to any population center that currently exists (Yes, Westover is very close, but there are other places to shop that are more convenient for many to get to than this place will be). It seems to me like a Field of Dreams sort of deal, where these businesses are hoping for a lot of traffic from the putative Children's Hospital (let's face it, Bloom and company have been falsely stringing all the locals along about the announcement of a real business moving a ton of jobs into this area). Other than that, folks over in Morgantown will continue to prefer to shop at STC and other nearby developments, leaving this place a ghost town.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM

255 posts, read 391,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I think the companies sinking money into this development are a bit premature, or are maybe realizing that they'll have stagnant businesses for the first few years while hoping development grows quickly to the west. The STC has been successful because it's either close to or accessible by most of Morgantown's population without much more than a few minute's worth of driving. This part of the county is not readily accessible to any population center that currently exists (Yes, Westover is very close, but there are other places to shop that are more convenient for many to get to than this place will be). It seems to me like a Field of Dreams sort of deal, where these businesses are hoping for a lot of traffic from the putative Children's Hospital (let's face it, Bloom and company have been falsely stringing all the locals along about the announcement of a real business moving a ton of jobs into this area). Other than that, folks over in Morgantown will continue to prefer to shop at STC and other nearby developments, leaving this place a ghost town.
I'm not sure that I agree. I don't live in town but I do shop at both STC and UTC. STC for me is mainly Kroger's and the restaurants. They have some nice gift and clothing shops but those are occasional stops for something special. I don't shop there as often as I might because of the location. The easiest way for me to get there is through campus or the mile ground, both areas that I avoid at certain times. I go there a lot in the summer or when the U is not in session or if I have to be in that area for other reasons. Other times I will go to the Sabraton Kroger's or loop around on 68 to 79 to go to UTC. I have been using the new exit a lot since it opened. Westview is the same exit. For some area residents STC is convenient if you live or work on that side of town. But for others such as Sabraton and points east, Westover, areas south of Morgantown etc Westview will be more convenient.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:26 PM

36 posts, read 51,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Falsely? What basis do you have for claiming that?

Some absurd percentage of the county's total sales are generated at University Town Centre, which is only slightly more convenient to access than this new development will be. If the developers are able to reel in retailers and restaurants that people want, traffic will not be a concern whatsoever.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:46 PM

456 posts, read 603,175 times
its across the road from university town center with interstate and a 4 lane access. how is this inconvenient!!!!! the new hospital will have 800 to 1000 good paying jobs with the possibility of a 500 person corporate headquarters. rumors of Mylan expanding as well as condo's,apartments,offices as real as the retail and fed ex center. this doesn't happen over night even though we would all like it to. you will see things start happening soon but I would imagine it could take 5-10 years to completely finish.this area can and will be a showplace of development for anyone traveling on 79. this will only make Morgantown more attractive for more business. I'm proud of the effort being done to make this a first class development. some businesses have probably changed since over time company and businesses needs change before the development is ready. cities of Morgantowns size would kill to have something happening like this.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopEER View Post
Falsely? What basis do you have for claiming that?

Some absurd percentage of the county's total sales are generated at University Town Centre, which is only slightly more convenient to access than this new development will be. If the developers are able to reel in retailers and restaurants that people want, traffic will not be a concern whatsoever.

I agree, I highly doubt they will have a problem attracting people to this area, between the Mall, UTC, this new development and Gateway, it is going to be a major shopping and eating area. I live near the hospital, STC for me is Kroger and a couple of their shops, but all the other shopping I do is at UTC. If they make it an upper scale shopping center like their developer is claiming it will be, they will be very busy. Imagine throwing in an Alamo Draft House at this shopping center.

So the new flyer thing the developer sends out when you request it from their website shows the demographics and average income within distances from the center of this new development. Also in the flyer it shows the fortune 500 company (we will see what happens) and across from it in the other pad is a "Medical Office Building" it says. Also, if you look at the flyer, keep in mind, the pads shown are just the initial ones that were needed to establish the roads, there apparently is a lot more that are now released with some already sold.

5 Mile Radius : 69,343 people $59,272
10 Mile Radius: 106,172 people $66,720
30 Mile Radius: 379,103 people $62,337

Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
its across the road from university town center with interstate and a 4 lane access. how is this inconvenient!!!!! the new hospital will have 800 to 1000 good paying jobs with the possibility of a 500 person corporate headquarters. rumors of Mylan expanding as well as condo's,apartments,offices as real as the retail and fed ex center. this doesn't happen over night even though we would all like it to. you will see things start happening soon but I would imagine it could take 5-10 years to completely finish.this area can and will be a showplace of development for anyone traveling on 79. this will only make Morgantown more attractive for more business. I'm proud of the effort being done to make this a first class development. some businesses have probably changed since over time company and businesses needs change before the development is ready. cities of Morgantowns size would kill to have something happening like this.
Wait until next year once the run way expansion gets started and the I-68 business park that Morgantown is working on should start coming to fruition. There is going to be a LOT of land around town for businesses and manufacturing places.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:02 PM

354 posts, read 505,926 times
I don't know about ghost town, but Morgantown has a population of 30-40k...how much repetitive retail/hotels/gas stations/mattress stores/chain restaurants can that support? I wouldn't be touting the "I-68 business park" just yet. Fort Pierpont looks to have a good number of vacancies.

Last edited by Greystreet21; 10-21-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
I don't know about ghost town, but Morgantown has a population of 30-40k...how much repetitive retail/hotels/gas stations/mattress stores/chain restaurants can that support? I wouldn't be touting the "I-68 business park" just yet. Pierpont Landing looks to have a good number of vacancies.
The I-68 thing is supposed to focus mainly on manufacturing and offices. No where do they talk about commercial pads.

Pierpont is really run down, I was hoping the new owner would do something to breathe more life into it but only thing I have seen so far is them putting up some land around it for sale to build a hotel and other things.

Also, you know there is a lot more than 40K people around here, that is only the amount who live within Morgantown city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown