Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:25 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
A new stadium is not going to be built in the next 20 years at the very least. It's not even on the horizon.

I think 10-15 yrs.......Im on the side of those who believe the hospital's growth will force them out inevitably....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:35 PM

286 posts, read 348,216 times
I am in facility planning at wvu and asked about the stadium moving to the associate athletic director/facilities and operations and she said she doesn't know where/how rumor started that they were moving by the exit and continued to go on and say that the football stadium will be there for much longer

Old 10-17-2016, 05:40 PM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
I am in facility planning at wvu and asked about the stadium moving to the associate athletic director/facilities and operations and she said she doesn't know where/how rumor started that they were moving by the exit and continued to go on and say that the football stadium will be there for much longer
Agree with this. The stadium is going nowhere. If anything, they will buy up surrounding property along Willowdale to add parking.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM

51 posts, read 56,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Agree with this. The stadium is going nowhere. If anything, they will buy up surrounding property along Willowdale to add parking.
Yeah.. I don't think they're putting $50 million+ into the current stadium if they have plans to build a new one.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvAlmostHeaven View Post
Yeah.. I don't think they're putting $50 million+ into the current stadium if they have plans to build a new one.

That wouldnt stop them at all actually.....$50 mil is nothin when it comes to stadiums, Ive seen colleges and pros both renovate stadiums, only to replace the stadium a few years later, much less 10-20 yrs from now.....15 yrs from now if they start talkin about it, nobody is gonna say "nah, we just spent 50 mil 15 yrs ago, we're good".....

Old 10-18-2016, 06:41 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
Yes, but we're talking about a University tasked with cutting spending by $45 million by 2020. We're not in the market for a new stadium.

Look at it this way. Would the University be willing to invest over $400 million (this is for site work above and beyond TIF money) for a facility that will only be used to its maximum potential 2% of the year? Or, would it rather work with the County and the State to get funding for better road access to both the current stadium and the HSC? The draft I-79 Access Study by HDR for the MPO lays out several alternatives for better connections to I-79. Based on their weighted scores, the alternative that scored the highest was one that included a new interchange at Pursglove, a connection to just past the end of Collins Ferry, down to West Run, and then up Van Voorhis and Bakers Ridge to US 119. This would include upgrading Van Voorhis from Chestnut Ridge/Burroughs St to the new connection. All told, that's about $140 million (conservative estimate) that the University wouldn't be on the hook for and it gets better access to Evansdale/HSC/MPS.

Any new construction you see from the University is going to maximize their investment and utilization of whatever facility is being built. This is why you see the Outpatient Center, rumored freestanding Children's Hospital, dental school, etc., instead of a flashy-but-woefully empty new stadium.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
Yes, but we're talking about a University tasked with cutting spending by $45 million by 2020. We're not in the market for a new stadium.

Look at it this way. Would the University be willing to invest over $400 million (this is for site work above and beyond TIF money) for a facility that will only be used to its maximum potential 2% of the year? Or, would it rather work with the County and the State to get funding for better road access to both the current stadium and the HSC? The draft I-79 Access Study by HDR for the MPO lays out several alternatives for better connections to I-79. Based on their weighted scores, the alternative that scored the highest was one that included a new interchange at Pursglove, a connection to just past the end of Collins Ferry, down to West Run, and then up Van Voorhis and Bakers Ridge to US 119. This would include upgrading Van Voorhis from Chestnut Ridge/Burroughs St to the new connection. All told, that's about $140 million (conservative estimate) that the University wouldn't be on the hook for and it gets better access to Evansdale/HSC/MPS.

Any new construction you see from the University is going to maximize their investment and utilization of whatever facility is being built. This is why you see the Outpatient Center, rumored freestanding Children's Hospital, dental school, etc., instead of a flashy-but-woefully empty new stadium.
Was that the alternative that had a new bridge also over the mon from the new exit to th back of the coliseum?

Also regarding the TIF money for a stadium, one of the county commissioners has explicitly said that TIF money cannot and will not be used to build a football stadium.

If any new stadium gets built I could see a new basketball facility, but even then I doubt it. One thing to keep in mind though, the athletic department has their own budget from the university itself. But I would not expect anything to be decided until we figure out what is going on in 2025 area since we might be in a new conference, Big 12 might get new big TV contract, or some other unseen scenario, so it's hard to figure out how much TV money the athletic department will be making post 2025.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
With regards to TIF funds and any potential development, I was referring to any infrastructure upgrades necessary. Money would obviously not be used for the project itself. And I agree, an arena would be more likely to be built there in the future, but even then I think it is a remote chance.

And the alternative I was referring to is Alternative 12 (Full PDF - http://www.i79accessstudywv.com/I-79...g%20Boards.pdf). There will be no bridge from the Coliseum to UTC, and I can't make that more adamant than highlighting the fact that the University sent an official letter saying any alternative there is a non-starter for the University. That's why when you look at the weighted scorecard in that PDF, the "Section 4(f) and 6(f) - Parks, recreation impacts" is maxed out for any alternative with a bridge at that location. The ultimate preferred alternative will have the northern bridge near the end of Collins Ferry, regardless of the rest of the alignment.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM

83 posts, read 100,184 times
To answer the question about if a new stadium and or basketball arena will be built in my mind I think that you have to follow the money.

Where are people putting their money? Lots of money has been poured into the West View/ West Ridge area and I suspect that it has been by donors and boosters who would have the inside scoop on what athletics is up to.

Who owns land in that area? I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some insider trading going on here.

Who will pay for the facilities? Athletics will not foot the bill for this. Naming rights, presale of luxury boxes, etc will pay for it.

Why put $50 mil into the current stadium just to tear it down? The stadium is almost 40 years old, the coliseum nearly 50. This is ancient for sports facilities. Athletics can easily make the case that to be competitive that they need the new facilities.

Should the new facilities be built? Absolutely. The football stadium is in a very bad location that is detrimental to the University especially the hospital. The Hospital is more important economically and status-wise to WVU and Morgantown than football and to really take off the Hospital needs the ground that the stadium currently occupies. A hospital that can serve the public 365 days per year should trump a football stadium that is used only about 6 times per year.

The Coliseum is also in very poor location and repurposing that property will greatly benefit all. At one time the Coliseum was open to the public and the community used it for walking, children's programs, IM sports, etc. Now it is sacred ground for athletics. The Coliseum and surrounding property should be razed and developed into something that will better benefit WVU alleviate the traffic problems, etc associated with game days.

BTW I am suggesting that some of these deals have already been made in smoky backrooms with lots of winks and nods.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
With regards to TIF funds and any potential development, I was referring to any infrastructure upgrades necessary. Money would obviously not be used for the project itself. And I agree, an arena would be more likely to be built there in the future, but even then I think it is a remote chance.

And the alternative I was referring to is Alternative 12 (Full PDF - http://www.i79accessstudywv.com/I-79...g%20Boards.pdf). There will be no bridge from the Coliseum to UTC, and I can't make that more adamant than highlighting the fact that the University sent an official letter saying any alternative there is a non-starter for the University. That's why when you look at the weighted scorecard in that PDF, the "Section 4(f) and 6(f) - Parks, recreation impacts" is maxed out for any alternative with a bridge at that location. The ultimate preferred alternative will have the northern bridge near the end of Collins Ferry, regardless of the rest of the alignment.
I see which one you mean now. I really wanted the one with both bridges being built, but like you said the university kind of killed that. However a bridge at end of Collins ferry would make a huge difference and I love the idea of a new exit for it. Star City exit is just atrociously busy all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown