Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
To answer the question about if a new stadium and or basketball arena will be built in my mind I think that you have to follow the money.

Where are people putting their money? Lots of money has been poured into the West View/ West Ridge area and I suspect that it has been by donors and boosters who would have the inside scoop on what athletics is up to.

Who owns land in that area? I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some insider trading going on here.

Who will pay for the facilities? Athletics will not foot the bill for this. Naming rights, presale of luxury boxes, etc will pay for it.

Why put $50 mil into the current stadium just to tear it down? The stadium is almost 40 years old, the coliseum nearly 50. This is ancient for sports facilities. Athletics can easily make the case that to be competitive that they need the new facilities.

Should the new facilities be built? Absolutely. The football stadium is in a very bad location that is detrimental to the University especially the hospital. The Hospital is more important economically and status-wise to WVU and Morgantown than football and to really take off the Hospital needs the ground that the stadium currently occupies. A hospital that can serve the public 365 days per year should trump a football stadium that is used only about 6 times per year.

The Coliseum is also in very poor location and repurposing that property will greatly benefit all. At one time the Coliseum was open to the public and the community used it for walking, children's programs, IM sports, etc. Now it is sacred ground for athletics. The Coliseum and surrounding property should be razed and developed into something that will better benefit WVU alleviate the traffic problems, etc associated with game days.

BTW I am suggesting that some of these deals have already been made in smoky backrooms with lots of winks and nods.
While you certainly make some valid arguments here, I would say that we are at least 15 years away from such developments considering the millions currently being put into both the current stadium and the coliseum. They wouldn't be doing that if they had an intention of making those moves any time soon. I believe the plan is for the medical component to grow into the need for that space. That isn't going to happen that soon. Also, I would be surprised if WVU doesn't end up taking over Mon General at some point in time. It just makes too much sense. They will likely end up with a Pitt sort of arrangement involving several hospitals. There is also space at the Research Park to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:21 PM

83 posts, read 100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
While you certainly make some valid arguments here, I would say that we are at least 15 years away from such developments considering the millions currently being put into both the current stadium and the coliseum. They wouldn't be doing that if they had an intention of making those moves any time soon. I believe the plan is for the medical component to grow into the need for that space. That isn't going to happen that soon. Also, I would be surprised if WVU doesn't end up taking over Mon General at some point in time. It just makes too much sense. They will likely end up with a Pitt sort of arrangement involving several hospitals. There is also space at the Research Park to consider.

I'd say that the announce will be in 5 years or less with another 3 - 5 years to build the stadium. Remember that we are talking athletics money - typical values do not apply when it comes to testosterone and sports.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
I'd say that the announce will be in 5 years or less with another 3 - 5 years to build the stadium. Remember that we are talking athletics money - typical values do not apply when it comes to testosterone and sports.

Also logic goes out the door.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:00 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
West View Shopping Center plans have been updated. Shows an Applebee's being built, and a 123,000 sqf (which apparently includes an "expansion area" of 23,000 sqf) grocery store with a gas station. In addition to Applebee's there are three other restaurant locations, one of which looks like a Waffle House. Also looks like there is a coffee shop with drive through, probably a dunkin donuts since the next exit up is starbucks and a tim hortons. Also of interest in the pad located directly across from this shopping center, its listed as "new hospital", most likely the children's hospital that has been talked about here before.

The break down for the total sqf of this new shopping center is 123,000 sqf for grocery, 164,820 sqf for retail.

Westview Shopping Center Morgantown WV | In The Heart Of Retail

Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
So, lineup of rumors:
  • Applebee's
  • Mattress Firm
  • Coffee - (Dunkin Donuts, likely)
  • Restaurant - Waffle House?
  • Grocery (w/ gas station) - Has to be Kroger, right?
  • Further evidence for new Children's Hospital
  • Retail - Top-most, freestanding building could likely be Macy's

Any others floating around out there?

Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM

334 posts, read 495,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
So, lineup of rumors:
  • Applebee's
  • Mattress Firm
  • Coffee - (Dunkin Donuts, likely)
  • Restaurant - Waffle House?
  • Grocery (w/ gas station) - Has to be Kroger, right?
  • Further evidence for new Children's Hospital
  • Retail - Top-most, freestanding building could likely be Macy's

Any others floating around out there?
Facebook thread is mentioning Giant Eagle Market District

Old 10-20-2016, 12:56 PM

So someone on facebook mentioned that our "larger" Kroger is only 86,000 sqf. So whatever this new store is, will be a lot larger.

Also someone brought up that it might be a Costco.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM

354 posts, read 505,561 times
I would imagine these strip malls will start cannibalizing each other at some point. The stretch between the mall and gateway + UTC will be a land area almost the size of morgantown. Also, a childrens hospital off the interstate behind an applebees and far removed from the hospital complex seems out of place to me.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
I would imagine these strip malls will start cannibalizing each other at some point. The stretch between the mall and gateway + UTC will be a land area almost the size of morgantown. Also, a childrens hospital off the interstate behind an applebees and far removed from the hospital complex seems out of place to me.
It wouldn't be behind an Applebee's, if you are standing on the new bridge looking west, the pad to the left (second one back) after you go through the traffic circle could be the children's hospital. You would easily see this from the highway. But there is no room for a children's hospital around the current hospital unless you try to shoe horn it in. It supposedly it own free standing facility. But I guess we will see.

Regarding the cannibalizing, I think you will see the strip places taking more and more of the malls tenants, the mall is dying. It will be interesting what all that flat land could be used for if the mall does close someday.

You also got to remember about this particular location, there is planned for a ton of businesses to locate out there.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Also, a childrens hospital off the interstate behind an applebees and far removed from the hospital complex seems out of place to me.

I haven't kept up this as much as I'd like. It would seem more logical to have the children's hospital closer to the other hospital facilities for purposes of sharing resources, etc. Is it possible that the new hospital would be owned by some other entity besides WVU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown