Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 AM

83 posts, read 100,184 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that Macy's is opening up in Morgantown to keep Kohl's out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 07:45 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
Is it possible that Macy's is opening up in Morgantown to keep Kohl's out?
I can definitely see that as the reason why. That's why lowes built their second store to block Home Depot. They don't need a very large store, just a small to medium sized one. At least they are not going into the mall, that thing is dying a painful death.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 AM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I can definitely see that as the reason why. That's why lowes built their second store to block Home Depot. They don't need a very large store, just a small to medium sized one. At least they are not going into the mall, that thing is dying a painful death.
Enclosed malls all over the country are dying. Malls such as UTC and Suncrest are replacing them nationwide. There has been a change in lifestyle. Going to THE MALL used to be a major form of entertainment but that is no longer the case. Shopping still can be entertainment but customers are more likely to want to go to a single particular store such as a Cabelas or Hobby Lobby or something geared to their interests rather than hiking through a mall filled with not much. The music and book stores have mostly disappeared and the anchor stores are boring and all look alike.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:52 PM

202 posts, read 218,253 times
Quote:
Supposedly that surgery center slated for at UTC might be built near the hospital where WIC and the other county offices are. And then they might expand the current ambulatory facility up at UTC since it is beyond capacity.
I'm kinda confused what you mean. So you are saying possibly the new same day surgery center that they are building already at UTC will be re purposed and they will instead build a new building near the WIC Health dept that will be the surgery center? Might it go where the med center apartments and field crest hall will soon be torn down?

Heart Institute at the STC is moving back to the hospital but will be in the new part.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
I'm kinda confused what you mean. So you are saying possibly the new same day surgery center that they are building already at UTC will be re purposed and they will instead build a new building near the WIC Health dept that will be the surgery center? Might it go where the med center apartments and field crest hall will soon be torn down?

Heart Institute at the STC is moving back to the hospital but will be in the new part.

No, if you notice they stopped building it, never got past leveling the ground. Supposedly WVU was getting ready to build the surgery place at UTC but some law (state or federal, not sure which) changed that required any surgery facility (such as the one WVU is going to build) be within a certain amount of distance from the hospital it is associated with. The proposed new surgery center would now run afoul of the new law, so WVU is supposedly trying to either be given an exemption (who knows if that will happen or how hard they are tying) or is looking at the WIC and county health building area (since a lot of the offices in those buildings are being brought downtown as the renovations are finished). Where Med Center apartments and field crest hall is, is supposedly still on hold but planned for the WVU Alumni hotel and convention center. Also if the surgery center is put where WIC and other county buildings are currently, there would be a big parking garage built to, that the hotel would also utilize. Where the current facility is at UTC, the talk is they might just expand the building to include more offices to be able to see more people.

Regarding the heart institute, that is part of the major expansion they plan for it in the new tower. The area the Heart Institute is expanding into was originally planned for the children's hospital (you can google WVU children's hospital and some renderings of the entrance at the new tower will show up) but is now going to the heart institute. That is now why the Children's Hospital is looking to build a stand alone facility somewhere around the hospital itself or off of the new exit (one of the county commissioners has said they have confirmed they are going to build a new state of the art facility off the new exit, but we shall see what ultimately shakes out).

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM

202 posts, read 218,253 times
Quote:
No, if you notice they stopped building it, never got past leveling the ground. Supposedly WVU was getting ready to build the surgery place at UTC but some law (state or federal, not sure which) changed that required any surgery facility (such as the one WVU is going to build) be within a certain amount of distance from the hospital it is associated with. The proposed new surgery center would now run afoul of the new law, so WVU is supposedly trying to either be given an exemption (who knows if that will happen or how hard they are tying) or is looking at the WIC and county health building area (since a lot of the offices in those buildings are being brought downtown as the renovations are finished). Where Med Center apartments and field crest hall is, is supposedly still on hold but planned for the WVU Alumni hotel and convention center. Also if the surgery center is put where WIC and other county buildings are currently, there would be a big parking garage built to, that the hotel would also utilize. Where the current facility is at UTC, the talk is they might just expand the building to include more offices to be able to see more people.

Regarding the heart institute, that is part of the major expansion they plan for it in the new tower. The area the Heart Institute is expanding into was originally planned for the children's hospital (you can google WVU children's hospital and some renderings of the entrance at the new tower will show up) but is now going to the heart institute. That is now why the Children's Hospital is looking to build a stand alone facility somewhere around the hospital itself or off of the new exit (one of the county commissioners has said they have confirmed they are going to build a new state of the art facility off the new exit, but we shall see what ultimately shakes out).
Didn't know they stopped building. I think one thing to remember in all this is that these are legally 2 separate entities (WVU and WVU hospitals Inc, and whatever dba's they have now), bound to work with each other by statute. Having said that, as time goes by cooperation is getting stronger, not weaker contrary to popular opinion. There were plans to expand the mountaineer station parking garage and I can see how this all plays into all of this. Last I heard the med center apartments are coming down no matter what, and same with Fieldcrest. They are still selling temp passes to park over there through WVU parking office though, until demolition starts.

A few years ago I think there were plans to build a seperate building for the WVU dental school on the HSC campus too but that was put on hold for now.

I work at WVU HSC and hadn't heard about the separate Childrens hospital yet.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Didn't know they stopped building. I think one thing to remember in all this is that these are legally 2 separate entities (WVU and WVU hospitals Inc, and whatever dba's they have now), bound to work with each other by statute. Having said that, as time goes by cooperation is getting stronger, not weaker contrary to popular opinion. There were plans to expand the mountaineer station parking garage and I can see how this all plays into all of this. Last I heard the med center apartments are coming down no matter what, and same with Fieldcrest. They are still selling temp passes to park over there through WVU parking office though, until demolition starts.

A few years ago I think there were plans to build a seperate building for the WVU dental school on the HSC campus too but that was put on hold for now.

I work at WVU HSC and hadn't heard about the separate Childrens hospital yet.

If you are on facebook, go check out Tom Bloom's (county commissioner) facebook page, in one of the comments out the west ridge area he confirms a Macy's and the children's hospital and on another Morgantown area a couple people mention their spouses having knowledge about the children's hospital. I just wish they would come out and be forthcoming with information regarding it. It will be interesting on what ultimately is built.

I saw those plans for the separate dental school, they looked pretty cool, I wonder if it will ever happen. I could see them building back in that research park area where they are supposedly going to build that medicine test facility. They put out a RFP I think in the spring but I haven't seen anything since.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:43 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
I keep hearing rumors of a Mylan expansion too, which could result in WVNET being acquired by them with a new WVNET facility being built in the Research Park area. I guess time will tell with that.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 PM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Has anyone heard anything further about the possibilities of a new stadium; possibly on the other side of the interstate? I assume that if/when that happens it will be at a minimum five years in the future but once built it would have the added impact of freeing up a very large and valuable chunk of land right next to the Medical Center.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
A new stadium is not going to be built in the next 20 years at the very least. It's not even on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown