Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:31 PM

491 posts, read 609,870 times

Advertisements

Announced today that the city and Air Force are partnering together to add 1,101 feet of runway to the existing airport. Surveying will begin in June and construction is penciled to begin in April of 2016. The extra length will allow the airport to take on more international flights.

With the runway being expanded, I think we also have some sort of a idea when the highway improvements will begin in the mileground area too, at least on that side of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
That's great news. It will be West Virginia's first airport with International capabilities, implying Border and Customs functions. That was made necessary here by Mylan's major expansions internationally. They had to stop using the Morgantown Airport due to those factors and now they can use it again, and with the Air Force Reserve's participation takeoffs and landings will take a large jump in numbers. This is also big in terms of Camp Dawson's use as a national military conference center.

I can also say from experience that the military engineering teams are first rate. This will be done to the very highest standards.

WV MetroNews – Air Force Reserves partnering on Morgantown airport runway extension

Old 04-11-2015, 03:43 PM

273 posts, read 382,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's great news. It will be West Virginia's first airport with International capabilities, implying Border and Customs functions. That was made necessary here by Mylan's major expansions internationally. They had to stop using the Morgantown Airport due to those factors and now they can use it again, and with the Air Force Reserve's participation takeoffs and landings will take a large jump in numbers. This is also big in terms of Camp Dawson's use as a national military conference center.

I can also say from experience that the military engineering teams are first rate. This will be done to the very highest standards.

WV MetroNews – Air Force Reserves partnering on Morgantown airport runway extension
I'm really excited about this. It's still a dream, I think, to fly out of Morgantown commercially and not break the bank though.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
We'll never be a Pittsburgh in terms of our airport, and we are too close to them to have a major commercial presence, but I do believe we will have lots of specialty options with the much larger runway for tours and discounted fares to specific cities and the like, as well as provide for the sorts of business activity that will benefit our entire area.

Also, this airport will meet military specifications for the largest airplanes, something only available in Martinsburg today, within our state. That could lead to more military involvement in the future because I have a hunch at some point the Pentagon will be consolidating activities more and more as a cost savings measure and this puts us in a good position to potentially benefit from that as airports with smaller runways aren't nearly as competitive in terms of flexibility. At some point, I believe all those ancient C-130 cargo aircraft are going to be replaced with something else that might require greater flexibility in terms of operations space, and something close to major population centers for logistics purposes.

There is a lot of development activity going on around Morgantown Airport... roads, buildings, military construction and the like, and it is happening for a reason. Some say a corporate headquarters is slated to be located on the other side of I-79 across from the ballpark, but officials are staying mum about the potential development.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We'll never be a Pittsburgh in terms of our airport, and we are too close to them to have a major commercial presence, but I do believe we will have lots of specialty options with the much larger runway for tours and discounted fares to specific cities and the like, as well as provide for the sorts of business activity that will benefit our entire area.

Also, this airport will meet military specifications for the largest airplanes, something only available in Martinsburg today, within our state. That could lead to more military involvement in the future because I have a hunch at some point the Pentagon will be consolidating activities more and more as a cost savings measure and this puts us in a good position to potentially benefit from that as airports with smaller runways aren't nearly as competitive in terms of flexibility. At some point, I believe all those ancient C-130 cargo aircraft are going to be replaced with something else that might require greater flexibility in terms of operations space, and something close to major population centers for logistics purposes.

There is a lot of development activity going on around Morgantown Airport... roads, buildings, military construction and the like, and it is happening for a reason. Some say a corporate headquarters is slated to be located on the other side of I-79 across from the ballpark, but officials are staying mum about the potential development.

You're correct about this. I've heard what they're going to be replaced with but cannot say for obvious reasons. But luckily, after Charleston almost losing the C-130s a couple years ago, it seems like an aircraft presence in Charleston is here to stay. How that relates to Morgantown, I'm not sure.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 AM

282 posts, read 484,532 times
With the university Morgantown needs a larger airport. I could see Allegiant switching their service to Morgantown from Clarksburg, or for a Spirit Airlines to come in.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Clarksburg still has the longer runway, being over 7,000 feet. Not sure how long the runway has to be for the larger Allegiant planes but Clarksburg didn't land those flights until they expanded I believe. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM

75 posts, read 118,206 times
Just a little FYI, the C130 isn't slated to be replaced until 2024 at the earliest.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine5811MP View Post
Just a little FYI, the C130 isn't slated to be replaced until 2024 at the earliest.

From what I understand from a army pilot friend, it's not that the C-130s are getting "replaced" but it's that a different wing is going to be transferred to charleston and the c-130s moved elsewhere. This info is probably pushing a year old so it may have changed. I'll report if different

Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 21,367 times
"Mountain Air Services Moves Operation to Morgantown, W.Va."

Buckhannon based business to be relocated to MGW.

Mountain Air Services Moves Operation to Morgantown, W.Va. - WDRB 41 Louisville News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown