Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
OK. Takeoffs and landings. I got it. Most of the airport statistics deal with passenger boardings or freight tonnage. Commercial flights in and out are often counted, also. Boarding gates are also a statistic that comes up.

I have found no reference anywhere about the military using the Morgantown airport in conjunction with Camp Dawson. Speculation doesn't count.
You'll never find anything but speculation in that regard. The only thing I can point to are the published percentages of military tower operations for Morgantown Airport (Dawson doesn't keep such statistics since they have no tower and Morgantown would control air operations in that area from their tower). I would point out though that my speculation is somewhat of an educated one since I have worked at both Dawson and at Pittsburgh IAP (but not Morgantown). Admittedly, that was several years ago. It's the best I can do.

Robert Byrd had a large training center installed at Dawson a couple decades ago, and it brings in people from military organizations all over the country as well as other government groups using it for training purposes. The runway at Dawson won't support the larger aircraft needed to bring them there. The one at Morgantown will serve that purpose for many aircraft.

I'm certainly not claiming that the Morgantown Airport is a world beater in any regard. It is, however, taking on a more important role in our community.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-10-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
My information came from a Colonel with flight certs and a security clearance. He said there are things going on at Camp Dawson that he can't talk about, but that he could say with certainty that the Morgantown airport does not factor into any plans for Camp Dawson.

I just asked a pilot about the takeoffs and landings. I was told that airports with commercial and military activities are not as conducive to practice flying activities, called touch and goes. For example, that kind of practice is less at Yeager Airport because it takes place at Mallory's in South Charleston. Every touch and go a pilot does would be a tower operation.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:54 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
My information came from a Colonel with flight certs and a security clearance. He said there are things going on at Camp Dawson that he can't talk about, but that he could say with certainty that the Morgantown airport does not factor into any plans for Camp Dawson.

I just asked a pilot about the takeoffs and landings. I was told that airports with commercial and military activities are not as conducive to practice flying activities, called touch and goes. For example, that kind of practice is less at Yeager Airport because it takes place at Mallory's in South Charleston. Every touch and go a pilot does would be a tower operation.
I believe your Colonel friend is correct that there are various activities at Dawson. That has been in the mix for decades there now. Dawson wouldn't be involved with planning at Morgantown Airport. Groups going there would get there by the most expedient means possible. For some, that would be by bus, for others by convoy. Still others would get there by military aircraft transport. Those traveling by tactical aircraft would likely use Morgantown Airport since it is the closest to Dawson. Those using strategic aircraft could disembark at Clarksburg, or in some cases at Pittsburgh. Dawson itself would not be involved in those decisions. That would be the responsibility of the units taking part themselves. You aren't getting wrong information. You just are not getting the full story. In addition, everybody at the Pentagon has a security clearance. I'm sure you would agree with that.

I can't attest to the reason for touch and goes conducted, but as your pilot friend says, they are all tower operations. I have no way to determine how many touch and goes are military related and how many are not. I also don't know how many of the tower operations are of that sort. What is available is the percent of military related tower operations, and the number of tower operations. Morgantown has more of those than any other airport in the state, meaning as far as airport towers are concerned, it is the busiest in the state. That was the point I was making in my post, and it is also my answer to your question.

I really couldn't care about passenger operations in Charleston or Huntington. People around here do not use those airports for those purposes. I'm sure it is important to you and others from those areas, but this is the Morgantown thread, after all. I mean no offense by pointing that out.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-11-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 10:51 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
https://apnews.com/86651715105745d5c35eb5bc5d068314

Somehow the runway project secured an additional 7+ million in federal dollars from one of the COVID packages. This apparently will allow for a much larger I-68 industrial park than what was originally talked about.

Buried in another article I was reading about the runway project (forget which one), it was mentioned that Morgantown majorly lucked out or pulled a bunch of strings and got only a 5% matching requirement for the project.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 05-04-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 05:38 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
https://apnews.com/86651715105745d5c35eb5bc5d068314

Somehow the runway project secured an additional 7+ million in federal dollars from one of the COVID packages. This apparently will allow for a much larger I-68 industrial park than what was originally talked about.

Buried in another article I was reading about the runway project (forget which one), it was mentioned that Morgantown majorly lucked out or pulled a bunch of strings and got only a 5% matching requirement for the project.
Somebody should get a Robert C. Bird award for pulling off the securing of that funding in this authorization.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:25 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
Somebody should get a Robert C. Bird award for pulling off the securing of that funding in this authorization.
Haha they should!

Old 02-20-2023, 08:18 AM

286 posts, read 348,216 times
Whatever came of this runway extension project?

Old 02-20-2023, 04:54 PM

219 posts, read 247,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Whatever came of this runway extension project?
It’s probably dead, just like everything else in this one horse town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown