Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:57 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Once again the Port of Mobile is one of fast growing ports in the country. 2019-2020 TEUs in and out of the port grew 11.7% (only a few much smaller ports grew even near the same rate, The rest of the ports above Mobile grew from -16.6% to 8% with the majority being negative)
The port also has the highest 5 year average increase in the top 25 ports at 15.4% per year, doubling the 2nd highest. Mobile now ranks the 17th largest port in TEUs in the country a spot above last year.

Mobile will likely beat out the Port of New Orleans in the next two years or so. The port declined -16% between 2019-2020 and now the spread is just 65k TEUs

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...bigger_in_2020
I’m honestly shocked to see Charleston’s port is so large compared to us. I’ve always thought Charleston was the aristocracy of the south, not a large industrial port city. Same thing with Savannah tbh. Both those cities are smaller than Mobile but have significantly larger ports. Why is New Orleans declining so rapidly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I’m honestly shocked to see Charleston’s port is so large compared to us. I’ve always thought Charleston was the aristocracy of the south, not a large industrial port city. Same thing with Savannah tbh. Both those cities are smaller than Mobile but have significantly larger ports. Why is New Orleans declining so rapidly?

ikr, never knew how big they were til I saw the rankings, guess we need to do some catching up (lol). My theory as to why New Orleans is declining is 1) Proximity to Houston and 2) Us, Mobile has grown as major logistics hub for the north gulf coast with tons of logistics companies choosing Mobile over New Orleans, therefore they are gonna use our port rather than another 3) they don't have an Post-Panamax Crane like Mobile and Houston does, so they can't handle the new cargo ships like we can

Old 06-28-2021, 02:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,858,645 times
Quote:
ikr, never knew how big they were til I saw the rankings, guess we need to do some catching up (lol). My theory as to why New Orleans is declining is 1) Proximity to Houston and 2) Us, Mobile has grown as major logistics hub for the north gulf coast with tons of logistics companies choosing Mobile over New Orleans, therefore they are gonna use our port rather than another 3) they don't have an Post-Panamax Crane like Mobile and Houston does, so they can't handle the new cargo ships like we can
New Orleans is shrinking partly because the transit up the river is too time consuming versus the relatively easy transit into Mobile's port. Charleston and Savannah are huge beneficiaries of being on the Atlantic, so they see much more direct Europe traffic than ports in the Gulf. (1 day less of travel)

Keep in mind these are container-only rankings. Port volumes as a whole include many other items in addition to the container volumes

Old 06-28-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
New Orleans is shrinking partly because the transit up the river is too time consuming versus the relatively easy transit into Mobile's port. Charleston and Savannah are huge beneficiaries of being on the Atlantic, so they see much more direct Europe traffic than ports in the Gulf. (1 day less of travel)

Keep in mind these are container-only rankings. Port volumes as a whole include many other items in addition to the container volumes

That's true, so I took the liberty of finding total tonnage that goes through the port and actually, more goes through Mobile than Savannah and Charleston. Mobile has been around 11-12 largest port (going back and forth between Lake Charles). Its impressive how much competition there is in the gulf. Of the 11 spots between Mobile and #1, only 4 are outside the Gulf Coast. This is probably why ALDOT has been focusing on container cargo for the port rather than raw materials these past few years.

https://www.bts.gov/content/tonnage-...ked-total-tons

Old 06-29-2021, 11:10 AM

Mobile is to produce more Airbus A321neo Aircraft thanks to United Airlines
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/mobile_...XerIvttVwf8cso

Old 06-29-2021, 12:21 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
That's true, so I took the liberty of finding total tonnage that goes through the port and actually, more goes through Mobile than Savannah and Charleston. Mobile has been around 11-12 largest port (going back and forth between Lake Charles). Its impressive how much competition there is in the gulf. Of the 11 spots between Mobile and #1, only 4 are outside the Gulf Coast. This is probably why ALDOT has been focusing on container cargo for the port rather than raw materials these past few years.

https://www.bts.gov/content/tonnage-...ked-total-tons
To give New Orleans some credit, regarding the port rankings, as you can see with your link just looking at container traffic doesn't show the whole picture. The three major ports in metro New Orleans (ports of New Orleans, South Louisiana, and Plaquemines) handle over 380 million tons per year compared to 57 million in Mobile. Tonnage per year can vary greatly too, especially a crazy year like 2020 but the port of New Orleans' growth over 10 years is strong, 35% vs. 9% in Mobile.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
To give New Orleans some credit, regarding the port rankings, as you can see with your link just looking at container traffic doesn't show the whole picture. The three major ports in metro New Orleans (ports of New Orleans, South Louisiana, and Plaquemines) handle over 380 million tons per year compared to 57 million in Mobile. Tonnage per year can vary greatly too, especially a crazy year like 2020 but the port of New Orleans' growth over 10 years is strong, 35% vs. 9% in Mobile.

Ehh the vast majority of Port of New Orleans, South Louisiana, and Plaquemines exports and imports are either oil or agriculture. Which they do handle an impressive amount of both especially agriculture, however it is still an incredibly limited portfolio. Also the only port that can actually handle cargo ships is Port of New Orleans (which is declining very quickly and likely to be overlapped by Mobile in the next 3 years). The ports also handle a lot of domestic travel (due to the Mississippi River) over foreign trade.

Port of Mobile's however is pretty broad with imports and exports as follows (simplified from actual list): Agriculture, Wood Products, Coal (for steal making), Steel products, poultry, Cement, Chemicals, Aluminum and other metals, "heavy cargo", consumer goods, and with new additions to the port: now cars and seafood. Also the majority of Mobile's traffic is foreign trade. Most of these are cargo container goods rather than bulk goods, which explains why Mobile is growing slowly in overall "Tonnage" but is currently the fast growing container port in the country

Note: Pound for Pound, Port of Mobile has nearly twice the worth of the other 3 ports

Last edited by Surge0001; 06-29-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 01:36 PM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
Quote:
I see what you’re saying and to add to what surge said about those ports being reliant on oil. If the new administrations, current and future, in the federal government are seeking to turn the US away from gas usage(I’m not sure this is a wise move if our current power levels and the affordability of cars can’t be maintained) then I would think that Louisiana ports would be drastically hurt by having that decline. No doubt they’ll be looking to add diversification to make sure they aren’t as badly hurt by it, but it’s still worth monitoring going forward how they’ll handle that

Old 06-30-2021, 12:44 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
Ehh the vast majority of Port of New Orleans, South Louisiana, and Plaquemines exports and imports are either oil or agriculture. Which they do handle an impressive amount of both especially agriculture, however it is still an incredibly limited portfolio. Also the only port that can actually handle cargo ships is Port of New Orleans (which is declining very quickly and likely to be overlapped by Mobile in the next 3 years). The ports also handle a lot of domestic travel (due to the Mississippi River) over foreign trade.

Port of Mobile's however is pretty broad with imports and exports as follows (simplified from actual list): Agriculture, Wood Products, Coal (for steal making), Steel products, poultry, Cement, Chemicals, Aluminum and other metals, "heavy cargo", consumer goods, and with new additions to the port: now cars and seafood. Also the majority of Mobile's traffic is foreign trade. Most of these are cargo container goods rather than bulk goods, which explains why Mobile is growing slowly in overall "Tonnage" but is currently the fast growing container port in the country

Note: Pound for Pound, Port of Mobile has nearly twice the worth of the other 3 ports
My only point was take that 2020 data with a grain of salt. You can take the same data to 2018 which shows New Orleans container traffic growing by 17%. So don't get too excited and downplay the ports of New Orleans too quickly. As for the rest, I can make a similar list of goods for New Orleans (as if it only handles oil and agricultural products), it doesn't really say much without data.

Pound for pound I don't even know where or how you made that up.

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...argo_goes_next
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I see what you’re saying and to add to what surge said about those ports being reliant on oil. If the new administrations, current and future, in the federal government are seeking to turn the US away from gas usage(I’m not sure this is a wise move if our current power levels and the affordability of cars can’t be maintained) then I would think that Louisiana ports would be drastically hurt by having that decline. No doubt they’ll be looking to add diversification to make sure they aren’t as badly hurt by it, but it’s still worth monitoring going forward how they’ll handle that
Actually I believe Port Fourchon south of New Orleans handles most of the oil imports. The ports along the river are not as reliant on it.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
My only point was take that 2020 data with a grain of salt. You can take the same data to 2018 which shows New Orleans container traffic growing by 17%. So don't get too excited and downplay the ports of New Orleans too quickly. As for the rest, I can make a similar list of goods for New Orleans (as if it only handles oil and agricultural products), it doesn't really say much without data.

Pound for pound I don't even know where or how you made that up.

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...argo_goes_next

Actually I believe Port Fourchon south of New Orleans handles most of the oil imports. The ports along the river are not as reliant on it.

Yes that's why you look at the trends rather than just a year, and the trend does not look well for Port of New Orleans in terms of Cargo Containers. Also I tried to find the true cargo exports of Port of New Orleans, however I could only find the port priding themselves on grain and oil, so gives me the impression that even if they have the diversity in the port (i'm sure they do), they don't export/import it enough to be worth noting.

What I mean is that the economic value of the Port of Mobile is 25.4 billion and Port of New Orleans is $30 Billion yet NOLA has nearly twice the tonnage (likely just grain it appears) so that mean pound for pound the economic value per tonnage for Mobile is nearly twice that of Port of New Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area