Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:44 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Yes that's why you look at the trends rather than just a year, and the trend does not look well for Port of New Orleans in terms of Cargo Containers. Also I tried to find the true cargo exports of Port of New Orleans, however I could only find the port priding themselves on grain and oil, so gives me the impression that even if they have the diversity in the port (i'm sure they do), they don't export/import it enough to be worth noting.

What I mean is that the economic value of the Port of Mobile is 25.4 billion and Port of New Orleans is $30 Billion yet NOLA has nearly twice the tonnage (likely just grain it appears) so that mean pound for pound the economic value per tonnage for Mobile is nearly twice that of Port of New Orleans
We must be reading different things. The trend shows that besides one year the container port has been growing pretty steadily. I can find the same spiel on the port of New Orleans website listing it's top cargos: steel, coffee, furniture, natural rubber, forest products and non-ferrous metals plastic resins, frozen poultry, paper and pulp with container, breakbulk, heavy lift, temperature-sensitive cargo and bulk transload capabilities. It doesn't really mean much.

I think you are comparing different metrics and then misapplying it to some per capita thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:13 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
We must be reading different things. The trend shows that besides one year the container port has been growing pretty steadily. I can find the same spiel on the port of New Orleans website listing it's top cargos: steel, coffee, furniture, natural rubber, forest products and non-ferrous metals plastic resins, frozen poultry, paper and pulp with container, breakbulk, heavy lift, temperature-sensitive cargo and bulk transload capabilities. It doesn't really mean much.

I think you are comparing different metrics and then misapplying it to some per capita thing.
Negatory, I’m not two separate metrics, I’m just saying that based on elementary school math, there is a value difference between the two ports, simple observation around the the tonnage (not cargo). Also yes there is a clear trend on the SEPARATE subject that New Orleans has a 5 year average of -.9% growth not just “one bad year” compared to the yearly average of 15.4% for Port of Mobile

Old 07-01-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Negatory, I’m not two separate metrics, I’m just saying that based on elementary school math, there is a value difference between the two ports, simple observation around the the tonnage (not cargo). Also yes there is a clear trend on the SEPARATE subject that New Orleans has a 5 year average of -.9% growth not just “one bad year” compared to the yearly average of 15.4% for Port of Mobile
Most of that -.9% is tied to that one year of decline. Again if you look at the data from 1 year earlier the 5 year average was 10.5% growth. Also of interest these numbers are only looking at import teus.

What is your source for this value metric? The closest I could find that mentioned these 25.4 and 30 billion numbers, they were judging state numbers vs national numbers and economic value vs output( which might be different statistics but I'm not expert).

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...o_the_pandemic

This is just going around in circles, lol.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Most of that -.9% is tied to that one year of decline. Again if you look at the data from 1 year earlier the 5 year average was 10.5% growth. Also of interest these numbers are only looking at import teus.

What is your source for this value metric? The closest I could find that mentioned these 25.4 and 30 billion numbers, they were judging state numbers vs national numbers and economic value vs output( which might be different statistics but I'm not expert).

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...o_the_pandemic

This is just going around in circles, lol.
You are right, they have had some good years, However their port number have still gone down -.9% meaning basically no change in their port activity for the past 5 years. My sources it’s just looking up their economic value

https://gnoinc.org/news/port-nola-dr...d-tax-revenue/
Alabama State Port Authority: Port Facts

Old 07-01-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You are right, they have had some good years, However their port number have still gone down -.9% meaning basically no change in their port activity for the past 5 years. My sources it’s just looking up their economic value

https://gnoinc.org/news/port-nola-dr...d-tax-revenue/
Alabama State Port Authority: Port Facts
Again due to the one bad year of 2020.

Those are different metrics. National vs state. And output vs value.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Again due to the one bad year of 2020.

Those are different metrics. National vs state. And output vs value.
Again NOLA still back to square one from 5 years ago while Mobile has nearly doubled in that time. I’m not sure what you mean by National vs State. I’m only comparing output vs value

Old 07-01-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Again NOLA still back to square one from 5 years ago while Mobile has nearly doubled in that time. I’m not sure what you mean by National vs State. I’m only comparing output vs value
Ok. My major point was in relation to 2020 numbers.
Comparing two unequal statistics is useless.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Ok. My major point was in relation to 2020 numbers.
Comparing two unequal statistics is useless.
Again was not comparing unequal statistics, I am comparing 2 separate statistics separate from each other

Old 07-01-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Again was not comparing unequal statistics, I am comparing 2 separate statistics separate from each other
Ok, you are but cool. The Mobile numbers are 25.4 billion economic value in the state. The New Orleans numbers are 29.8 billion of national economic output while the state number is 4.3. There is a lot not right about comparing these numbers in any useful manner, they are measuring different things.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Ok, you are but cool. The Mobile numbers are 25.4 billion economic value in the state. The New Orleans numbers are 29.8 billion of national economic output while the state number is 4.3. There is a lot not right about comparing these numbers in any useful manner, they are measuring different things.

Yea pretty sure you are trying to find details were they don't exist. Multi sources say that the economic output for Port of NO and Mobile are 29.8 and 25.4 billion. An economic output is an economic output. Either port just chooses who they wish to enunciate more. Port of Mobile chooses to enunciate the State while Port of NO chooses to enunciate the nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area