Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 PM

210 posts, read 285,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Winona looks like a really pretty area!
It is. It has a unique beauty so unlike northern MN but I have to say, equally as pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 04:07 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Sun dogs so bright you need dark glasses to enjoy them. Brrrr!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:16 AM

365 posts, read 270,550 times
Default 1980 Grand Marais 35mm photos

I had these few pics posted awhile back(Photobucket host), and I noticed they are gone.
These are from a few 35mm negatives that I found awhile back, from my stay in Duluth 1979/1980.

I was going to have them developed at a photo shop or like Walgreens, but was told that I would not receive the negatives back. So I got a flatbed scanner and tried developing them myself.

A buddy of mine from the Twin Cites and I was camping at a site near Grand Marais, and I tried to take some photos whenever I could think of it. The camp site had a good size creek next to us. I was in my early twenties in 1979/80. I had a Nikon 35mm camera(no extra lens other than what came with the camera), and thought I would become a novice photographer. But that idea did not last too long.

The look out area sign says Superior National Forest Look Out, Grand Marais. I think it is what the map says Pincushion Mountain Trail System. You could see Grand Marais from the look out. Two shots were from the Grand Marais. The cliff shot, I believe was Palisade Head rock cliff, one looking north, and the other looking south. I can't remember what water system the two shots I had were from? The snow shot was from another time, along with the Duluth harbor shot from Skyline Parkway. Classics. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails
Minnesota Picture Thread-img225-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img219-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img220-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img221-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img222-x.jpg  

Minnesota Picture Thread-img223-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img224-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img216-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img217-x.jpg   Minnesota Picture Thread-img188-x.jpg  

Minnesota Picture Thread-img165.jpg  

Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post
I had these few pics posted awhile back(Photobucket host), and I noticed they are gone.
These are from a few 35mm negatives that I found awhile back, from my stay in Duluth 1979/1980.

I was going to have them developed at a photo shop or like Walgreens, but was told that I would not receive the negatives back. So I got a flatbed scanner and tried developing them myself.

A buddy of mine from the Twin Cites and I was camping at a site near Grand Marais, and I tried to take some photos whenever I could think of it. The camp site had a good size creek next to us. I was in my early twenties in 1979/80. I had a Nikon 35mm camera(no extra lens other than what came with the camera), and thought I would become a novice photographer. But that idea did not last too long.

The look out area sign says Superior National Forest Look Out, Grand Marais. I think it is what the map says Pincushion Mountain Trail System. You could see Grand Marais from the look out. Two shots were from the Grand Marais. The cliff shot, I believe was Palisade Head rock cliff, one looking north, and the other looking south. I can't remember what water system the two shots I had were from? The snow shot was from another time, along with the Duluth harbor shot from Skyline Parkway. Classics. Enjoy.

Duluth Canal Park and current day Bayfront Festival Park was so industrial back then. It is astonishing how much change has occurred.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:26 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Indeed. That first shot is what looks like the Temperance River Campground, just off of the Sawbill Trail.

Thanks for sharing. That second shot, with the overlook, is now paved, much nicer, and a lot larger. The trail system is part of the mountain bike trails that are there. There are several blue trails, and one or two black trails.

That logging, sawmill shot is from just up the Gunflint Trail NE of Grand Marais, and of course the lighthouse in the harbor there.

Last edited by demtion35; 11-28-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Good morning, February!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Good morning, February!
Nice, where was that taken?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Nice, where was that taken?
South central Minnesota. DH saw it a little earlier and said before the sun was over the horizon that the sun dogs were flame red and each one and the sun were shooting up a beam of red light.

You know that it's bitter cold out when you see something like that.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
South central Minnesota. DH saw it a little earlier and said before the sun was over the horizon that the sun dogs were flame red and each one and the sun were shooting up a beam of red light.

You know that it's bitter cold out when you see something like that.
It looks quite nice, I was trying to capture an unusual winter sky in the Northwoods well SE of Duluth, but the lighting wasn't quite good enough to make it work. I think the low was -31F and the high temperature was 3F the day I was out there.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
With my two sons and my daughter's fiancé on the Superior Hiking trail between Gooseberry Falls State Park and Beaver Bay, first week of August.

It was pretty dry with the rivers running low, but we were never more than 3-4 miles between a water source. Exceptional views, and a lot of ups and downs. Not much wildlife, though a highlight was an owl. And a chipmunk that practically jumped into my lap during an extended stop at a bridge over a small stream. Also, tons of bear scat on the trail - alas, the bruins stayed out of sight. Perfect weather, almost no bugs.

Amazing trail. I'd done a couple day-hikes on it before but had never really gotten deep onto the trail. I'll be back.

Looking downstream from first night's camp, Split Rock River:

Atop Fault Line Ridge, where we had views like these for quite a while:

More views from another ridge, final day just south of Beaver Bay:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota