Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,929,317 times

Advertisements

ill give him the drivers. people dont know how to drive here.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
ill give him the drivers. people dont know how to drive here.
I was just up in the Twin Cities this past weekend, driving the stretch of 494 between the Humphrey Terminal and the Hwy 7 intersection. Man, I've not had such a relaxing freeway drive for quite a while. I mean, people actually used turn signals!

I think it's all relative. I would trade some of the drivers I see down here for an equal number of Twin Cities drivers in a heartbeat, but I'm sure there are folks up there who moved from Atlanta and have fond memories of driving down here...

Or maybe not.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM

32 posts, read 101,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I was just up in the Twin Cities this past weekend, driving the stretch of 494 between the Humphrey Terminal and the Hwy 7 intersection. Man, I've not had such a relaxing freeway drive for quite a while. I mean, people actually used turn signals!

I think it's all relative. I would trade some of the drivers I see down here for an equal number of Twin Cities drivers in a heartbeat, but I'm sure there are folks up there who moved from Atlanta and have fond memories of driving down here...

Or maybe not.
Wait until you try to commute during the weekdays, then 494 west becomes REAL relaxing.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
I moved to Minnesota to be close to the last of my living family, that was four years ago and everyday I wake up and regret it. I'm sorry to say that about 95% of the people in MN are cranky, unfriendly, rude jerks. I was born and raised in San Diego and while there are rude people everywhere, I have NEVER encountered so many as I do here.

I have two young children (who are very gentle and well behaved I might add) and everytime we are out they get ran into, knocked over or grunted rudely at by some pain in the butt old fart (or young fart). I can truly say that after having traveled the world, over nine other countries, and visiting for extended stays in over 35 of our great US states, MINNESOTA has the rudest, most nasty, unfriendly people I have ever met.

I would advise people that are considering a move here to stay here through a winter and a summer and see before they make the move. Who knows they may like it after all.

It can be one of the most beautiful places on Earth and I don't really mind the long winters.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,947,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by givingitback View Post
I moved to Minnesota to be close to the last of my living family, that was four years ago and everyday I wake up and regret it. I'm sorry to say that about 95% of the people in MN are cranky, unfriendly, rude jerks. I was born and raised in San Diego and while there are rude people everywhere, I have NEVER encountered so many as I do here.

I have two young children (who are very gentle and well behaved I might add) and everytime we are out they get ran into, knocked over or grunted rudely at by some pain in the butt old fart (or young fart). I can truly say that after having traveled the world, over nine other countries, and visiting for extended stays in over 35 of our great US states, MINNESOTA has the rudest, most nasty, unfriendly people I have ever met.

I would advise people that are considering a move here to stay here through a winter and a summer and see before they make the move. Who knows they may like it after all.

It can be one of the most beautiful places on Earth and I don't really mind the long winters.
Whereabouts are you?

Maybe having lived here my entire life has made me immune. I mean, I tend to think I have good manners (thank you, bless you, pardon me, etc), my husband holds the door open and says hi to practically everyone...and though I am certain we don't get the same respect from everyone every time, it doesn't change us or our appreciation of the benefits that come with living here. A lot of the "coldness" might be due to that Scandinavian thing people often say Minnesotans are all about; kinda cold looking until they are approached or get to know you, etc. I think it's awfully unfair to brand Minnesota as a very nasty place when it's just not true. True of some, sure, but of the whole population?

And I completely agree that driving issues are universal. I would expect drivers everywhere battle speed-demons and ego-high tailgaters (those freakin' dudes in their monster trucks with incredibly bright lights practically making out with your rear end!).

Last edited by MNNative; 07-01-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 04:45 PM

501 posts, read 1,947,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
You haven't lived until you driven in St Cloud.
Oh yes, is this ever true! What a pain in the neck! In fact, I remember my husband once pointed out that Jay Leno had a guest on the show, some truck driver (I don't know the reasoning but anyhow it was a few years ago) and Jay asked him where the worst place he's ever driven was. He replied, "St Cloud, MN". 23/Division is the worst place to drive!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,854 times
Being that I am a northland of the WI and MN area. I loved it up there while I was growing up. Then these past 10 years I've moved to AZ and I hate it with a passion. When I first moved to AZ everyone kept telling me that I could do anything I ever want anytime of year. Thats a bounch of Krock!!! On top of it everything costs to dang much. I am ready to journey and live a much more simplier and happier life somewhere else that is a lot smaller. I have looked at going back to WI or MN area, but also looked at CO, WA, OR, VT NJ, AK... Which Im leaning more to AK. Where? I have no clue. I just want to pack up what I can and thats it. Sell everything else. The sooner the better....

Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM

370 posts, read 904,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by givingitback View Post
I wish we had done that. I've been here a year and that's enough for me, but now we're stuck here until the kid gets out of HS.

Is it better than the place we left? Absolutely, but I know we could have done better. This is a fine place for people from here, but a hell of a place for transplants.

I don't mean for this to sound mean or whiny, but I would like to say this out loud for people that may be considering MN. Counting the days until 2015.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 PM

370 posts, read 904,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Why are all these people with the tiny post counts coming from all of a sudden? mitst has less than 20, so does treu, jzak has 20, and so do a few other MN bashers who started to come here. They just decided to spring up and agree with the O.P.?

And they all seem to show how easily they are whiners: "they don't say bless you when I sneeze, they won't start my car, I get allergies here, the check-out people are rude". Most Minnesotans haven't taken your complaints seriously because they reveal that you people are full-blown internet complainers.
Your post reminds me of many Minnesotans I've met. Unless one has a history here (or in your eyes, a large number of posts) their value is questionable.

This board isn't a lifestyle for me like it is for some, it's just a place I visit from time to time. I suspect mitst, treu & jzak may fall into the same category.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Your post reminds me of many Minnesotans I've met. Unless one has a history here (or in your eyes, a large number of posts) their value is questionable.
Trust is something which has to be earned many social circles, not just given out freely. Sad, but largely true.

Quote:
This board isn't a lifestyle for me like it is for some, it's just a place I visit from time to time. I suspect mitst, treu & jzak may fall into the same category.
Perhaps. Hard to say. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

(No relation, BTW)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota