Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongopercylou View Post

*sigh* More mass generalizations.

Maybe move to a red state where you can experience the joy of really low taxes and even lower quality of living. Where people sit out on the porch and drink Arnie Palmers and smoke PalMals. Somewhere when "howdy" means something and the quality of school districts don't. Somewhere there isn't much attention paid to litter in the streets and is perpetually brown and dusty...nothing "green" outside to water. Somewhere the average life span is 65 years. Somewhere you can really enrich your life with goods from WalMart and work there at the same time.

Good luck to you!
Pot, meet Kettle.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Hey, it isn't cold here in MN!

I have family in several areas of Montana and they actually had a bunch of snow there yesterday, even down in the valleys!

The other thing is that I've always believed that a person is about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Some people just seem to like to be grumpy!

In the OP's first post she took pot shots at everyone and then later back off all of the generalizations. Whatever ticked her off before she posted that must have blown over because she certainly wasn't as hostile by her second post!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 AM

199 posts, read 712,336 times
Sorry, but I have to take issue with this post. I lived in Minnesota for about a year and I had some really bad luck while I was there. I could not have found nicer, more helpful people in my life. This is what happened to me. Shortly after moving there and getting a job, my car blew up on me. A co-worker who I knew for less than 6 weeks, loaned me his extra car so that I could get to work and save my money to buy another. Right before Xmas, I was laid off. So here I was with 2 kids, no money and it was the holidays. I told the kids there would be little for Xmas but that we would get a tree. I waited until the lot down the street had started to dismantle and had a sign for all trees for $5.00. Well even that was a stretch for me at that time, but I was determined that we would have a tree. While looking at them, my 12 year old daughter started talking to a lady that was also looking at trees. The woman got her tree and left. We picked ours and I went to pay for it. When I did, the man told me that the woman that had just left had paid for my tree. Apparently, my motormouth daughter had spilled the beans on our situation. I have never been so touched in my life as I was with that woman's generousity. That was the nicest thing anyone had every done for me. So, please don't paint all Minnesotans with the same brush. They were wonderful to me and my kids.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 AM

62 posts, read 290,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
Sorry, but I have to take issue with this post. I lived in Minnesota for about a year and I had some really bad luck while I was there. I could not have found nicer, more helpful people in my life. This is what happened to me. Shortly after moving there and getting a job, my car blew up on me. A co-worker who I knew for less than 6 weeks, loaned me his extra car so that I could get to work and save my money to buy another. Right before Xmas, I was laid off. So here I was with 2 kids, no money and it was the holidays. I told the kids there would be little for Xmas but that we would get a tree. I waited until the lot down the street had started to dismantle and had a sign for all trees for $5.00. Well even that was a stretch for me at that time, but I was determined that we would have a tree. While looking at them, my 12 year old daughter started talking to a lady that was also looking at trees. The woman got her tree and left. We picked ours and I went to pay for it. When I did, the man told me that the woman that had just left had paid for my tree. Apparently, my motormouth daughter had spilled the beans on our situation. I have never been so touched in my life as I was with that woman's generousity. That was the nicest thing anyone had every done for me. So, please don't paint all Minnesotans with the same brush. They were wonderful to me and my kids.
What a touching story. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
I didn't see an single act of road rage or horn blowing.
That's something I've always wondered about. Is a lot of big cities, gridlock traffic produces thousands of constant horns. But even when I'm stopped dead, bumper to bumper in the TC, I don't hear a single horn. "What?! You mean blowing my horn won't the get the hundreds of cars in front of me to move!?"

It's nice.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
That's something I've always wondered about. Is a lot of big cities, gridlock traffic produces thousands of constant horns. But even when I'm stopped dead, bumper to bumper in the TC, I don't hear a single horn. "What?! You mean blowing my horn won't the get the hundreds of cars in front of me to move!?"

It's nice.
Altho when you do use your horn legitimately you get a lot of shocked looks as tho they can't believe you would be so gauche

Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota. Ever since I moved here, I've run into nothing but rude people who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open and don't say "bless you" when you sneeze. Driving in Minnesota is terrible. Outside of the cities it seems like every road is two lanes. People here drive like complete jerks, constantly speeding and riding your tail even when you are driving 5-10 mph above the speed limit, and then passing on a shoulder or in the middle of a rural town as a little old lady attempts to cross the street.

Not sure if it is the water or the ridiculously long winters that make everyone so grumpy, but if you are considering moving to Minnesota, let me tell you... DON'T. People are friendlier in CALIFORNIA. If you want to fish, come up FOR A VISIT in the summer and then high-tail it back to the sweet land you came from. (Summer in MN is a natural phenomenon by the way and may only occur every third or fourth year for about a week in July. Spring barely began on June 1st this year and there is still no summer in sight.)

Other serious issues with Minnesota... Mosquitos might as well be the state bird... This last winter was 7 months long... There aren't even any mountains here to make the snow fun... And did I mention that practically everyone is unfriendly?

Disclaimer: The above post is 100% one person's opinion.
So you hate MN because people don't say thank you when you hold the door or bless you when you sneeze? Riiiiiiiiight. That's what makes us ruder than people in California?! Most people do say thank you when you hold the door. In fact, I'm more surprised when they don't. Also, I stopped saying bless you when people sneeze because many of them were atheists.

As far as driving goes in MN I agree it is bad but you're saying people in California drive better than people in MN? Uh huh, okay, suuuuuuuure.

And you also hate MN because of the mosquitos and because we have a bunch of Wal-Marts? You know, I was actually going to take your rant seriously but I can't. You have posted one of the lamest rants on citydata. On almost every forum there are people ranting about how much they hate a certain state or city but yours is..........I'm not even going to say it because the mods would delete it but here's a summary of your rants:

1. MN people are the rudest because they do not say thank you when you hold the door or bless you when you sneeze.

2.MN drivers are worse than California drivers.

3.Too many mosquitos. (I honestly do not have a problem with them in my 14 years of living here)

4. Too many Wal-Marts.

Do those 4 little nitpicks seem like a good reason to hate the entire state? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongopercylou View Post
Why not tell us how you REALLY feel? Sounds like it's not the place for you to live.

*sigh* More mass generalizations.

Here's one for you: I think ALL people who can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota should. Maybe move to a red state where you can experience the joy of really low taxes and even lower quality of living. Where people sit out on the porch and drink Arnie Palmers and smoke PalMals. Somewhere when "howdy" means something and the quality of school districts don't. Somewhere there isn't much attention paid to litter in the streets and is perpetually brown and dusty...nothing "green" outside to water. Somewhere the average life span is 65 years. Somewhere you can really enrich your life with goods from WalMart and work there at the same time.

Good luck to you!
You're probably talking about Pre-Katrina New Orleans.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:36 PM

82 posts, read 365,151 times
The things you have to realize about Minnesota is that we really don't feel like we are any better than anyone else, and on the same note, we don't really feel like you are any better than anyone else. As far as the saying thank you when you hold the door open, I agree, it is rude, but I have encountered the same in many states, but it is the person who didn't say "thank-you" that is rude, not the whole state. If I say "thank-you" and don't get a "you're welcome", I think the person I am dealing with may be lacking in the manners dept, not everyone in the state, city, or even store for that matter.

As far as the "bless you" Minnesota is a state where PC is kinda on the forefront, and we maybe don't want to assume someone needs to be blessed, or whom they want to be blessed by, if they sneeze. We are also not big coddlers, we are pretty independent(the Scandinavian in us)and don't feel OUR sneezes merit a "bless you" so why should yours, it is just a sneeze, it is natural, it isn't going to kill you.

I, for the record, would say "thank you" to a door held open, and "your so good looking" to a sneeze(hoping people have seen the Seinfeld episode). I am a 35 year old woman, and gives up my seat on the bus, at least 3x a week, to people older than me, men or women, or people with kids, while younger men keep their seats, and I now live in the "aloha" state, where women and the elders are supposed to be held in very high regard. But I don't believe the whole state is rude, just maybe the people who take the bus. I have also seen this on public transportation in Chicago, New York City and Seattle, and just shake my head and attribute it to bad parenting.

As far as the driving, I think in Minnesota, because the summers are so short, people are just in a hurry in general, and want spend as little time on the road as possible. They are also very confident drivers, alot of Minnesotans have been driving something(tractor, atv, snowmobile)well before they wre old enough to get their license. Here in Hawaii, I wish people were in more of a hurry, and would drive, and sit a stop lights a little closer to the car in front of them(there is typically about 4 car lengths between cars waiting at signals, and 8 on the freeways). If people would drive a little more agresively here, a commute between Honolulu and where I live wouldn't take 1 1/2 hours to go 16 miles. It isn't bumper to bumper, because of the excessive car lengths, I truly believe that if cars drove closer at the same speed(always well below the speed limit)the commute would be cut in half.

As far as the WalMarts, I don't like them either, but you are never far from a Target in Minnesota. And the mosquitos, hate them too, but I would prefer them to the rattlesnakes, cockroaches, earthquakes, wildfires and self-entitled celebrities in California any day.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:47 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota. Ever since I moved here, I've run into nothing but rude people who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open and don't say "bless you" when you sneeze.
I HATE when people say "bless you" after a sneeze. It's better manners for the person who just blew snot all over their hand, say "excuse me", and leave it at that.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I've never lived in Minnesota, but visit there quite often because I have relatives... I think Minnesota is a great state.
The people are friendly... They have that Midwestern kindness and work ethic. No matter where you live, you will encounter people who aren't friendly and are rude. It is just how life goes...
Minnesota isn't the only state with bad mosquitoes... They are bad in the surrounding states as well. Just something you learn to live with.
Minnesota has rural areas, and sometimes only one department store can be supported in a smaller city. I know Pamida has plenty of stores in MN. Walmarts are way more prevalent south of MN, like Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. Target is based in MN and there are plenty of locations.
I live in Sioux Falls, SD and we have tons of Minnesota and Iowa drivers come here. I haven't noticed any bad driving by them. I've been to the cities countless times... Driving in the cities can get pretty congested, but people aren't rude at all. It's just like any other large metro.
There are plenty of 4 lane highways in MN...not every highway needs to be 4 lanes... It's just not feasible! Although I hope they finish making Highway 60 four lanes between Windom and St. James!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota