Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Your life is what you make it, if you have a negative attitude toward everything, guess what, that is all you see. If you have only made 2 friends in 20 years, well, maybe it isn't the other people in the state that is the problem.

Having lived in areas where there were a lot of people coming and going for jobs the ones that sit and complain about how bad everything is here and how much better everything was in their old town are the ones that people get sick of listening to and end up ignoring so I suppose that makes us unfriendly. Those that take the bull by the horns, make the best of the situation are the ones that end up fitting in, making friends and enjoying their time in MN (or wherever you go in the world). The choice is your's.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM

21 posts, read 97,857 times
I was born here in central Mn. And kayaklin is right for the most part. People are rude, most of them are bad drivers, too damn cold in the winter months, schools are not the greatest, allergies are worse by the year here, and I just hate living here. I have been to New Jersey which was nice but too expensive to live and then Florida was way too hot and sticky. I have been researching the Internet and have found some possiblilites to move to next June...I can't wait to leave MN either! Good luck to all that want to stay in MN, God Bless.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treu79 View Post
I was born here in central Mn. And kayaklin is right for the most part. People are rude, most of them are bad drivers, too damn cold in the winter months, schools are not the greatest, allergies are worse by the year here, and I just hate living here. I have been to New Jersey which was nice but too expensive to live and then Florida was way too hot and sticky. I have been researching the Internet and have found some possiblilites to move to next June...I can't wait to leave MN either! Good luck to all that want to stay in MN, God Bless.
It sounds as if you are going to be looking for a loooooong time.

You complainers remind me of two grumpy old ladies in a restaurant. One lady tells her friend that the meat loaf is terrible. Her friend agrees, and complains that the portions are too small.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 PM

32 posts, read 101,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota. Ever since I moved here, I've run into nothing but rude people who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open and don't say "bless you" when you sneeze. Driving in Minnesota is terrible. Outside of the cities it seems like every road is two lanes. People here drive like complete jerks, constantly speeding and riding your tail even when you are driving 5-10 mph above the speed limit, and then passing on a shoulder or in the middle of a rural town as a little old lady attempts to cross the street.

Not sure if it is the water or the ridiculously long winters that make everyone so grumpy, but if you are considering moving to Minnesota, let me tell you... DON'T. People are friendlier in CALIFORNIA. If you want to fish, come up FOR A VISIT in the summer and then high-tail it back to the sweet land you came from. (Summer in MN is a natural phenomenon by the way and may only occur every third or fourth year for about a week in July. Spring barely began on June 1st this year and there is still no summer in sight.)

Other serious issues with Minnesota... Mosquitos might as well be the state bird... This last winter was 7 months long... There aren't even any mountains here to make the snow fun... And did I mention that practically everyone is unfriendly?

Disclaimer: The above post is 100% one person's opinion.
You absolutely hit it right on the money. Best post I've seen in a LONG time.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM

32 posts, read 101,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Altho when you do use your horn legitimately you get a lot of shocked looks as tho they can't believe you would be so gauche
It's because it's not "nice" to do so. They would rather go out of their way to be passive-aggressive toward you then to openly display any type of anger or frustration.

I hate that.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 PM

44 posts, read 166,521 times
Good post Golfgal!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM

769 posts, read 2,234,258 times
Why are all these people with the tiny post counts coming from all of a sudden? mitst has less than 20, so does treu, jzak has 20, and so do a few other MN bashers who started to come here. They just decided to spring up and agree with the O.P.?

And they all seem to show how easily they are whiners: "they don't say bless you when I sneeze, they won't start my car, I get allergies here, the check-out people are rude". Most Minnesotans haven't taken your complaints seriously because they reveal that you people are full-blown internet complainers.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM

82 posts, read 365,481 times
So we're not big on small talk. Maybe we don't feel what we have to say is important to you, so why bother. So we run home when a social event is over. Maybe we would prefer to spend time with our families because they are more important to us than hanging out for drinks. You say your fun-loving and outgoing? Maybe others see you as loud, obnoxious and annoying.

Minnesotans are by in large very self-sufficient and self reliant in nature,(save the folks on welfare, alot of them moved here to get it)and we expect the same of others. We don't expect others to help us except in dire circumstances, we don't want them to help us, we don't want to feel we "owe" someone, and we think others feel the same way. If you need help, ask for it. We will gladly help. I know that we walk around and don't make eye contact, we don't start up conversations, we don't invite you over, but I do find it hard to believe that we glare if you talk to us, I find it hard to believe that food just falls to the floor and no one helps pick it up, maybe an item or two, but if a whole bunch of items fell, someone would help, and if the cashier let it happen, yes, that was rude. But that doesn't translate to a whole state.

I live in Hawaii now, and I could just as easily say that because my neighbors dog makes doo-doo in my yard sometimes, all dog-owners let their dogs do it. Just like all Hawaiians surf, or hula, or eat poi. They all love spam, they are all on meth, they all carry knives. That is just plain ignorant thinking, really. If I really believed that, I would hopefully come to the conclusion that I need to get out more.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM

865 posts, read 2,503,790 times
I guess at just have to look at half of these posts and laugh. Drivers worse in MN than CA? I've been both places and that comparison is a farce. MN doesn't have four seasons like MI? They're right next to each other, and if anything MI is worse due to the lake effect. I went to college in MN so I didn't get to enjoy the summers; but I still found the seasons there to be very distinct and incredibly beautiful. Nothing to do but hunt and fish? Get a life! I live in the outdoor mecca of the PacNW and the only thing we've got here that is not present in MN is big mountains to climb. Truth is when I want to climb, I still usually take a road trip somewhere, so that's not a big difference. Just about any outdoor pursuit you can do here can be done just as well back there. Particularly if you head up to the North Shore of Superior. The Twin Cities are a huge cultural hub, with more theater and arts than any city in the US after New York (this is back up by studies and facts, so don't try to dispute it if you're an LA lover). People rude? I've never had the experiences these people claim, and I'm not that "smiley" of a person. I've always found the people in MN to be friendly and genuine. Much more so than the west coast.

Make it possible for me to move to Duluth and I'd think I'd have died and gone to heaven!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM

56 posts, read 244,822 times
Default Yo

Just recently i started observing this. Whenever I am on highway atleast Im being tailgated by one or two cars and they just force me to go fast even on right lanes. I generally drive +-5 miles than the speed limit and tailgaters are really irritating me. I really do not want to drive too fast than the speed limit. I see lot of cops on the roads and I do not want a bad tag on my driving. I hate some guys forcing the front one to go fast. Once the summer started and the roads are cleaner these guys are loosing their control. As if there is no tommorow I dont know why they are rushing. even after rushing before they just go fast and stop at the stop light. Anyway when u cannot go beyond the red light why the crap u r rushing. Please drive safe and careful. Piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota