Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

*I suspect that my cynicism regarding that poster was because I had just read posts of his in another thread that a British woman -- born and raised and educated in the UK -- wasn't really British because, in essence, she's not white. Thus it's hard for me to take such a poster at his word about ANYTHING, and I think that came through here. So I DO apologize if I offended you in any way.
Listen, you are hung up on that. Help yourself. Try to look up "ethnicity" and "culture" and you will see that my statement regarding the Bond character are actually correct. These are the facts. (and please keep it in the Bond thread, thanks).

Quote:
I guess I was looking for that poster to say "Yeah, sorry, I just made up those numbers, OOPS," since he obviously did. Because, come on, he somehow confused "survival rate" of 1 group with "number of cases" of another group? (Would YOU mix those up? ) And then he kept repeating the same made-up statistic over and over? Unless he truly is dense, those things are just not likely, certainly are not likely to be mistakes made in good faith.

I thought the numbers I had were correct. Maybe I made a mistake, maybe I didn't. Who knows. We have been given SO much misinformation - SO much bad information ("where a mask!!"..."don't wear a mask!!!"..."we don't have enough ECU beds!!!") that I long ago stopped believing most of all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 08:35 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
I got covid in mid October, felt weak from Monday to Thursday, Friday I went back to work and felt perfectly fine. (I work for myself outside) My wife lost her smell and taste and felt sick for a week. She’s all better now. I had an Uber driver yesterday ask what hospital I went to once I acquired it. He thought everyone who gets it goes to the hospital, this is not even remotely close to reality.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I got covid in mid October, felt weak from Monday to Thursday, Friday I went back to work and felt perfectly fine. (I work for myself outside) My wife lost her smell and taste and felt sick for a week. She’s all better now. I had an Uber driver yesterday ask what hospital I went to once I acquired it. He thought everyone who gets it goes to the hospital, this is not even remotely close to reality.
What I have noticed is so-called media likes to terrify all of us.

They deliberately take the most extreme, horrific cases (most of the time with people who had underlying conditions) and try to instill terror in all of their subjects. It's sick beyond belief.

What's more, is many of those in charge in places like California (Newsom, Pelosi, Feinstein) have been caught out and about flagrantly violating their own rules.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 AM

587 posts, read 563,018 times
Quote:
*I suspect that my cynicism regarding that poster was because I had just read posts of his in another thread that a British woman -- born and raised and educated in the UK -- wasn't really British because, in essence, she's not white. Thus it's hard for me to take such a poster at his word about ANYTHING, and I think that came through here. So I DO apologize if I offended you in any way.

So, you disagreed with this poster in another subforum thread, decided to cyber-stalk him in this subforum to try and disparage him in this thread discussion?? It doesn’t appear to me that you are truly looking for a “rational discussion”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

They deliberately take the most extreme, horrific cases (most of the time with people who had underlying conditions) and try to instill terror in all of their subjects. It's sick beyond belief.

What's more, is many of those in charge in places like California (Newsom, Pelosi, Feinstein) have been caught out and about flagrantly violating their own rules.
Spot on!!!

Unfortunately I gotta spread some rep around first.

Last edited by MsBall; 11-29-2020 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-29-2020, 09:37 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:

Yep. I won’t go see my parents though, my mom wouldn’t survive it. I’ll wait for a vaccine on doing that.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:58 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Yep. I won’t go see my parents though, my mom wouldn’t survive it. I’ll wait for a vaccine on doing that.
Like your situation, my wife and I both got it in October. Other than a few days of all over body aches, a minor cough, and a little shortness of breath it was miniscule for me. I went to work each day since we have 2 locations and mine is a one man office building. My wife was worse as to fatigue and cough. She is just now getting some of her sense of taste and smell back. We're both in our mid 60's.

HOWEVER, I lost a good friend of mine to Covid. He was in reasonably good health considering that he had heart surgery several years ago. Just that weakness I'm sure led to him succumbing to the virus.

My sister, who's in terrible shape as to breathing and weight issues, would never make it if she got it and she knows that. Needless to say she stayed home on Thanksgiving and essentially lives as a hermit.

People with compromised health issues have got to be careful. If you ever find yourself around someone like this, wear the damn mask. If you're in good health go to work, keep your head financially above water, but use common sense. Open up the schools, restaurants, and churches. Have them demand mask wearing and conduct basic sanitation measures. They will, even if only to save their investment. If a patron doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere.

As to Waltz, quit picking winners and losers. What makes you suddenly omnipotent. To rely on the government's fairness in regulating anything like this is simply foolish. Too many agendas and too much potential to play politics.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:33 AM

512 posts, read 474,725 times
Quote:
At least the Rs still control the senate. Thank God.
It won't last. After redistricting the DFL will likely take control over both chambers of the state legislature, especially with the inroads Democrats have made in the growing TC suburbs. If the 2022 Midterms end up being another Democratic wave year (which looks likelier everyday with clowns like Majorie Green Taylor), then Republicans in MN are screwed. Republicans also struggle to even get more than 45% of the statewide vote in most elections. The GOP has gotten too extreme for many TC suburbanites, who tend to be moderates. They're flocking to the Democratic Party (even faster than suburbs in other states), and election trends show this. Republicans haven't even won a statewide race since 2006, when the TC suburbs were a lot more Red. Even Carver and Scott Counties almost flipped for Biden. Those counties will be Blue in the next couple election cycles, too.

Illinois, for example, also used to be considered a swing state until Democrats started doing extremely well in the Chicago's collar counties. Dakota and Washington Counties are starting to vote just like Chicago's collar counties. The bottom line is this: I can see MN Republicans winning another statewide election in a really decent year for the Republicans, but I personally think their prospects of keeping the MN Senate are bleak. Moreover, the TC metro is going to gain more seats due to its fast population growth (the rurals are depopulating very fast, which will cost them some seats), which will likely go to the Democrat's column.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 02-12-2021 at 01:47 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
It won't last. After redistricting the DFL will likely take control over both chambers of the state legislature, especially with the inroads Democrats have made in the growing TC suburbs. If the 2022 Midterms end up being another Democratic wave year (which looks likelier everyday with clowns like Majorie Green Taylor), then Republicans in MN are screwed. Republicans also struggle to even get more than 45% of the statewide vote in most elections. The GOP has gotten too extreme for many TC suburbanites, who tend to be moderates. They're flocking to the Democratic Party (even faster than suburbs in other states), and election trends show this. Republicans haven't even won a statewide race since 2006, when the TC suburbs were a lot more Red. Even Carver and Scott Counties almost flipped for Biden. Those counties will be Blue in the next couple election cycles, too.

Illinois, for example, also used to be considered a swing state until Democrats started doing extremely well in the Chicago's collar counties. Dakota and Washington Counties are starting to vote just like Chicago's collar counties. The bottom line is this: I can see MN Republicans winning another statewide election in a really decent year for the Republicans, but I personally think their prospects of keeping the MN Senate are bleak. Moreover, the TC metro is going to gain more seats due to its fast population growth (the rurals are depopulating very fast, which will cost them some seats), which will likely go to the Democrat's column.
I don't know about that.

Keep in mind that MN is still 85% white.

Many small businesses have been destroyed by Walz. Still more were destroyed (literally) by raging anarchist mobs last year, if you recall.

So...we shall see how that all plays out down the road.

I do know that this new forced subsidized low-income housing in the suburbs has a hidden purpose of exporting liberal votes to the suburbs (along with crime), so maybe in the long picture you will be proven correct.

I just hope enough people have grown tired of the lunacy of the governor.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:51 PM

512 posts, read 474,725 times
Quote:
I don't know about that.

Keep in mind that MN is still 85% white.

Many small businesses have been destroyed by Walz. Still more were destroyed (literally) by raging anarchist mobs last year, if you recall.

So...we shall see how that all plays out down the road.

I do know that this new forced subsidized low-income housing in the suburbs has a hidden purpose of exporting liberal votes to the suburbs (along with crime), so maybe in the long picture you will be proven correct.

I just hope enough people have grown tired of the lunacy of the governor.
No, low-income people are being priced out of cities. I doubt there's some "liberal-driven agenda" behind that.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
No, low-income people are being priced out of cities. I doubt there's some "liberal-driven agenda" behind that.
Priced out of cities? I get alerts every day on the housing market. The most affordable homes (by far) are in the Cities proper. Unless of course you want an hour drive into the Cities every day.

(Agree to disagree that there is an agenda going on to export crime and Blue votes to outside the Cities proper.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota