Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 09:59 AM

240 posts, read 586,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
It's 81%, you're a bit off.
Just switch channels and eventually you'll come news or program that agrees with what your are thinking or doing.
Of the course the computer will never let you down with it's million one opinions will definitely agree with anyone. Many of the opinions on here are formed by sitting on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 06:35 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
... 99% of deaths to Covid-19 are people age 70 or over - people that don't have to go to gyms or out to eat if they care about their safety - and Walz still insists on hurting this economy for some reason.
Quote:
99% of deaths due to covid are people aged 70 or over.

What the h-ll is Walz trying to prove?
Quote:
... Again, this can't be stressed enough: 99% of all deaths to Covid are people age 70 and over. These people are retired, not working, generally not effected by shutdowns in a lot of ways like those of us middle-aged adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
It's 81%, you're a bit off.
Quote:
Who knows what the numbers are.
You know, OP, you lose credibility when you keep repeating the same statistic as if you know it for a fact, when really you just made it up. And when you are caught doing this by someone who has real numbers (although should have given a source), you just virtually shrug and say "Who knows what the numbers are?" If no one knows what the numbers are, then why did you just keep repeating the 99%?

It would be nice to have a rational discussion without the hyperbole (on EITHER side), but that seems to be impossible in C-D Land. (And for the record, I'm not a fan of either Trump OR Biden, and I have very mixed feelings about lockdowns. But I don't come here and say "99% of lockdowns are working.")

Old 11-28-2020, 08:26 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You know, OP, you lose credibility when you keep repeating the same statistic as if you know it for a fact, when really you just made it up. And when you are caught doing this by someone who has real numbers (although should have given a source), you just virtually shrug and say "Who knows what the numbers are?" If no one knows what the numbers are, then why did you just keep repeating the 99%?

It would be nice to have a rational discussion without the hyperbole (on EITHER side), but that seems to be impossible in C-D Land. (And for the record, I'm not a fan of either Trump OR Biden, and I have very mixed feelings about lockdowns. But I don't come here and say "99% of lockdowns are working.")
A charitable reading would be that the OP conflated the survival rate for the young, which is >99%, with the percentage of cases in the elderly. That mistake would be an easy enough to make as there are plenty of numbers swirling around out there and since they’re often used to further a specific agenda, there isn’t much consistency in how they are presented.

Last edited by Glenfield; 11-28-2020 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
A charitable reading would be that the OP conflated the survival rate for the young, which is >99%, with the percentage of cases in the elderly. That mistake would be an easy enough to make as there are plenty of numbers swirling around out there and since they’re often used to further a specific agenda, there isn’t much consistency in how they are presented.
That's a very charitable reading, as a survival rate for one group is pretty different from the percentage of cases in another group. (I know the numbers are all over the place, but he kept repeating the same made-up statistic, presenting it as if it were an undisputed fact. That's bizarre at best, deliberately lying at worst. I know he just wants the pandemic to be OVER -- well, we all do. I guess we can agree on THAT!)

Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
That's a very charitable reading, as a survival rate for one group is pretty different from the percentage of cases in another group. (I know the numbers are all over the place, but he kept repeating the same made-up statistic, presenting it as if it were an undisputed fact. That's bizarre at best, deliberately lying at worst. I know he just wants the pandemic to be OVER -- well, we all do. I guess we can agree on THAT!)
Ok, Karen.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, Karen.
OK, Glenfield. (Was your post supposed to be some silly comment on my name? )

Would be nice if posters responded to the substance of posts, if for no other reason than to make themselves clear. Why on earth CAN'T we have a rational discussion?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:

Would be nice if posters responded to the substance of posts, if for no other reason than to make themselves clear. Why on earth CAN'T we have a rational discussion?
don't try reason

something like this...

"Look...Squirrel!"

that oughta' do it

Old 11-28-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't try reason

something like this...

"Look...Squirrel!"

that oughta' do it

LOL. I don't know why I sometimes expect C-D posters to make sense and be rational, but I do.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:

What is it you want, Karen?

I responded to the “substance” of your post by offering what struck me as a perfectly rational explanation for the mix up, and suggested we give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

You clearly don’t want to and upped the ante, saying his posts were, “... bizarre at best, deliberately lying at worst.” Now that doesn’t strike me as particularly rational and certainly not civil, but then maybe things are different in NH.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
What is it you want, Karen?

I responded to the “substance” of your post by suggesting what struck me as a perfectly rational explanation for the mix up, and suggested we give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

You clearly don’t want to and upped the ante, saying his posts were, “... bizarre at best, deliberately lying at worst.” Now that doesn’t strike me as particularly civil, but then maybe things are different in NH.

I’m not sure what you are looking for here.
I guess I was looking for that poster to say "Yeah, sorry, I just made up those numbers, OOPS," since he obviously did. Because, come on, he somehow confused "survival rate" of 1 group with "number of cases" of another group? (Would YOU mix those up? ) And then he kept repeating the same made-up statistic over and over? Unless he truly is dense, those things are just not likely, certainly are not likely to be mistakes made in good faith.

I DO give you credit for wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt.*

=====

*I suspect that my cynicism regarding that poster was because I had just read posts of his in another thread that a British woman -- born and raised and educated in the UK -- wasn't really British because, in essence, she's not white. Thus it's hard for me to take such a poster at his word about ANYTHING, and I think that came through here. So I DO apologize if I offended you in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota