Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 05:39 AM

441 posts, read 440,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
That's for "social gatherings" and are guidelines without enforcement.
We have similar here in Oregon. But it's not enforceable so i guess they are calling it "guidelines". We are a family of three and both of our families don't live near us. Although I was contemplating going to my mom's in Las Vegas. Glad we decided against that. She is having my brother his wife and two kids and my sister over.

We are having our usual quiet lonely holiday just myself, my husband and our daughter.

I hope everyone has a safe holiday and don't eat too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 05:42 AM

441 posts, read 440,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Looks like good business for the communities west of the Minnesota border again. Walz will still get his full paycheck no matter who he hurts.

The city of Sioux Falls just last night enacted an indoor mask ordinance that they want the businesses to enforce. I'm good with that. Along with this is a limit to 50% of occupancy. Good with this too. What I'm NOT good with is the government dictating and enforcing mandates against individuals with fines and/or jail time.

We've got to have a reasonable approach to still keep businesses afloat and retain jobs until this pandemic finally blows over. If a business states that I must have a mask on, I must obey this or I'm free to NOT go into that establishment. It's called freedom of choice.

The governors in some of these states I swear couldn't care less if people lose their lifelong hard earned business/income. Who cares if suicides double or triple or if people's lives are shattered with bankruptcies or foreclosures.

There's a balancing act between health safety and the destruction of peoples lives economically and emotionally that all too often is ignored by people like Walz.
We try to support our local businesses as much as we can. We have had a mask mandate for quite a while. No big deal, as I rarely go out, immune suppressed. They have also been limiting the amount of people. The couple times I have been out very few people except maybe the grocery store, but still not as crowded as it usually is.

I have a new hobby that's keeping me busy and focused. Woodworking

Old 11-19-2020, 05:46 AM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Walz has just now ordered bars and restaurants closed (takeout only), and gyms closed as well.

99% of deaths to Covid-19 are people age 70 or over - people that don't have to go to gyms or out to eat if they care about their safety - and Walz still insists on hurting this economy for some reason.
Say goodbye Minnesota to the high school football playoffs and volleyball tournaments. You can social distance with mandatory mask ordinances in the open air as proved by other states around Minnesota, but not in the world Walz lives in. He's power hungry.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 827,466 times
Quote:
Say goodbye Minnesota to the high school football playoffs and volleyball tournaments. You can social distance with mandatory mask ordinances in the open air as proved by other states around Minnesota, but not in the world Walz lives in. He's power hungry.
Could you clarify what is meant by the blue text?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:46 AM

47 posts, read 29,407 times
Quote:
No need to concern yourself with Walz.

The President says we’re “turning the corner” and that this virus will be gone shortly.

He hasn’t spoken if the virus in days (weeks?) so, really, how bad can it be, right?

Old 11-19-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Could you clarify what is meant by the blue text?
Yes, what other states have done is ALL people entering and moving around at football games wear masks. Family groups can sit together, but all people maintain a 6 foot distance from non-related groups. Every other row of seats vertically is left vacant. Other than hiding in your basement alone, what more needs to be done?

Your exposure at Home Depot or your local Club Foods is greater.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:58 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchill View Post
No need to concern yourself with Walz.

The President says we’re “turning the corner” and that this virus will be gone shortly.

He hasn’t spoken if the virus in days (weeks?) so, really, how bad can it be, right?
99% of deaths due to covid are people aged 70 or over.

What the h-ll is Walz trying to prove?

Old 11-19-2020, 09:13 AM

1,250 posts, read 827,466 times
Quote:
Yes, what other states have done is ALL people entering and moving around at football games wear masks. Family groups can sit together, but all people maintain a 6 foot distance from non-related groups. Every other row of seats vertically is left vacant. Other than hiding in your basement alone, what more needs to be done?
Thank you for clarifying, I follow your comment now. It's been years since I've attended a football game, but I think entering/exiting/restrooms at halftime would be the main challenge for distancing. How are they preventing long lines at the gate?
Quote:
Your exposure at Home Depot or your local Club Foods is greater.
I am not an expert, but as I understand it exposure (risk) is a cumulative product. So even if going to Home Depot is your highest exposure activity, participating in additional lower-risk activities will nonetheless increase your overall risk.

For example, assuming the risks are independent: let's say you have a 2%* chance of getting exposed at Home Depot and a 1%* chance at the football game. Your chance of getting exposed at one place (or both) would be 1 - 0.98*0.99 = 2.98%, greater than if you only went to Home Depot.

(*2% and 1% are just for this example - not real numbers!)

Not taking a position on sporting events one way or the other, just saying that "X is higher exposure and it's still open" is not a valid argument. Unless going to football games is a substitute for shopping at Home Depot or Cub Foods

Old 11-19-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Thank you for clarifying, I follow your comment now. It's been years since I've attended a football game, but I think entering/exiting/restrooms at halftime would be the main challenge for distancing. How are they preventing long lines at the gate?

I am not an expert, but as I understand it exposure (risk) is a cumulative product. So even if going to Home Depot is your highest exposure activity, participating in additional lower-risk activities will nonetheless increase your overall risk.

For example, assuming the risks are independent: let's say you have a 2%* chance of getting exposed at Home Depot and a 1%* chance at the football game. Your chance of getting exposed at one place (or both) would be 1 - 0.98*0.99 = 2.98%, greater than if you only went to Home Depot.

(*2% and 1% are just for this example - not real numbers!)

Not taking a position on sporting events one way or the other, just saying that "X is higher exposure and it's still open" is not a valid argument. Unless going to football games is a substitute for shopping at Home Depot or Cub Foods
You can't quantify the damage psychologically and emotionally that is being done to these young people as we try to protect them by hiding them in a cocoon. No thinking person can argue this isn't happening.

The same goes for people in general.

I swear that the governors in primarily blue states are trying to out do each other in dictating ways to destroy people's lives beyond basic common sense initiatives. It's all about power while not considering the damage being done to families and the economy that's totally unnecessary.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:47 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Quote:
You can't quantify the damage psychologically and emotionally that is being done to these young people as we try to protect them by hiding them in a cocoon. No thinking person can argue this isn't happening.

The same goes for people in general.

I swear that the governors in primarily blue states are trying to out do each other in dictating ways to destroy people's lives beyond basic common sense initiatives. It's all about power while not considering the damage being done to families and the economy that's totally unnecessary.
Perfectly put. This has become emotionally debilitating to the point we can't take much more. It's not going to end with a vaccine, either. They've had a taste of absolute power and they like it. New world order in their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota