Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:48 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times

Advertisements

Unless the economy makes a dramatic turnaround in the next several months-- which seems highly unlikely-- the state won't have the money to build a new palace for the Vikings, so they'l leave. Who will you root for after they're gone? I'm torn between the Packers and the Lions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
I dunno about that. The economy is really no better anywhere else in the USA - why would Charlotte NC or any other broke city belly up a billion bucks when they can't keep their school kids fed or their police cars maintained?

The Vikes owners are greedy b@stards, just like the rest of them, but they don't have magic wands to bend reality to their will.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
If you don't understand the importance of the Minnesota Vikings than you're just ignorant.

THere was a story of a pizza place in western MN that literally survives off of Sundays from September to January because of Vikings games. There are bars and small family run joints all over the state in this same situation.

Not to mention all the jobs it will create during construction.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Spokesman for God wants the Vikings to remain in Minnesota, preferably in Arden Hills as a Minneapolis stadium site could damage or destroy the very foundation of The Church itself!

New Vikings Stadium Could Rock Basilica | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2378116.shtml?cat=1 - broken link)

Last edited by Ghengis; 11-18-2011 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
So all the summer rock festivals they have on Basilica grounds are less damaging than would be a stadium several blocks away? Sounds like a typical "NIMBY" move to me.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
So all the summer rock festivals they have on Basilica grounds are less damaging than would be a stadium several blocks away? Sounds like a typical "NIMBY" move to me.
Not even close--the percussion in the ground from digging, blasting, etc. to build a new stadium could damage the foundation at the Bascilla--and other buildings near there. A rock concert isn't even CLOSE to that. Besides that, traffic would be impossible in that area without redoing 94 completely. I can't imagine that it would be more cost effective there then at the current site.

Offer up your neighborhood for the new site.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not even close--the percussion in the ground from digging, blasting, etc. to build a new stadium could damage the foundation at the Bascilla--and other buildings near there. A rock concert isn't even CLOSE to that. Besides that, traffic would be impossible in that area without redoing 94 completely. I can't imagine that it would be more cost effective there then at the current site.

Offer up your neighborhood for the new site.
The Basilica sight is downtown...it isn't near this minister's house. There's a big difference. That said, the Basilica isn't my first choice. I'd prefer to see it elsewhere. Sort of stuck between moving it out of the city and the farmer's market site.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I don't know much about the Basilica sight but that option seems a bit far-fetched to me. I love both the Farmer's Market and Metrodome locations. I hate the Arden Hills location, but that's apparently the only location the Vikings are interested in at this point.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 PM

143 posts, read 477,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Just fine? Have you been to the Metrodome for a Vikings game? It is a terrible experience compared to other stadiums. Target Field seats 24,607 less people, but has 219 more toilets. The concourses are ridiculously narrow and the crazy long bathroom lines and concession lines in the narrow concourses further block the flow of people walking. Concession choices are very basic compared to any newer stadium. The luxury suites are outdated and there is too few of them considering the amount of money they bring. Sports Illustrated always ranks the Metrodome in last place for tailgating.
Well, yes, however, all of these are addressable through an expansion of the current facility. There is plenty of land around the area and concourses can be expanded, walls pushed outwards, and new bathrooms constructed.

BC Place in Canada was of nearly identical design of the Metrodome, and they renovated the facility to make it modern again and saved a lot of money.

I am completely against the idea of "disposable architecture" especially as all the Metrodome's perceived problems are addressable and the building is paid-off and structurally sound.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Well, yes, however, all of these are addressable through an expansion of the current facility. There is plenty of land around the area and concourses can be expanded, walls pushed outwards, and new bathrooms constructed.

BC Place in Canada was of nearly identical design of the Metrodome, and they renovated the facility to make it modern again and saved a lot of money.

I am completely against the idea of "disposable architecture" especially as all the Metrodome's perceived problems are addressable and the building is paid-off and structurally sound.
The BC Place renovation was addressed earlier in this thread. It still sucks almost as much as before the renovation from what I have heard. They basically threw on a leaky retractable fabric roof, painted the walls, replaced the seats, put up some flat panel TVs, and added WiFi.

The BC Place renovation was almost $600 million without pushing out the exterior walls, expanding concourses, adding bathrooms, adding luxury suites, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota