Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times

Advertisements

I like going just to shove my pockets full of loonies and twoonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
Never set foot in Canada and it's very low on my list of destinations. I don't really see the point in crossing from an area with lots of lakes and pine trees and nothing to spend time in another place full of lakes and pine trees and nothing.
Minnesota is already so similar to Canada that visiting there just seems redundant to a lot of folks. We're basically the 11th province.

I think Minnesotans should visit the parts of Canada that differ from this area, like British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland and Nunavut. Manitoba and Northern Ontario are pretty much Minnesota North.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM

333 posts, read 705,389 times
Definitely agree about southeast Canada. I would like to visit Toronto briefly, and see the east coast and Montreal.

I'll probably get up to Vancouver sometime but BC is basically Washington state north so same deal there. Not a high priority for me.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times
I want to see:

Quebec City
Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatoon
and the East Coast Provinces!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,679,670 times
I go there to get a taste of a country where common sense rules over rhetoric. (Like if you broadcast a show on TV or radio, and you want to call it "news," you're not allowed to lie or misrepresent the facts. Or if you're some poor bloke working three part time jobs, or a college student, or self-employed, and you need to see a doctor, YOU CAN!)

Plus, it's freaking gorgeous 2 months out of the year!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Minnesota is already so similar to Canada that visiting there just seems redundant to a lot of folks. We're basically the 11th province.

I think Minnesotans should visit the parts of Canada that differ from this area, like British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland and Nunavut. Manitoba and Northern Ontario are pretty much Minnesota North.
I find northern On. to be very different than Minnesota. It's way more rugged and mountainous. It's all rock and the lakes are crystal clear. There is way more wildlife and I almost always see wolves, moose, bears and other critters when I'm driving through. All I ever see in northern Minnesota are millions of freaking beavers. Every little trickle of water seems to have them.

There is only one piece of land in the USA that is weirder than the North west angle. That's Point Roberts in Washington. The north west angle was made part of the USA because of a survey error. You are very welcome to it though and I don't think we will be invading anytime soon to get it back.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

865 posts, read 2,503,790 times
Quote:
Never set foot in Canada and it's very low on my list of destinations. I don't really see the point in crossing from an area with lots of lakes and pine trees and nothing to spend time in another place full of lakes and pine trees and nothing.
You definitely haven't seen much of Canada, have you? Canada is at least as diverse geographically as the US. IMHO it is also far more beautiful taken as a whole. The Canadian Rockies surpass any other location I've had the privilege to visit.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Definitely agree about southeast Canada. I would like to visit Toronto briefly, and see the east coast and Montreal.

I'll probably get up to Vancouver sometime but BC is basically Washington state north so same deal there. Not a high priority for me.
As a Northwest resident I'd have to respectfully disagree. BC is, to me, the single most beautiful state/province. There are a few areas of WA that compare favorably (Lake Chelan, North Cascades, Peshastin Wilderness), but BC has Vancouver Island, The Okanogan Valley, Rogers Pass, Mt. Robson, Yoho.. The list goes on and on! And Vancouver and Victoria are two of the most enjoyable cities to visit that I can think of.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like going just to shove my pockets full of loonies and twoonies.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I go there to get a taste of a country where common sense rules over rhetoric. (Like if you broadcast a show on TV or radio, and you want to call it "news," you're not allowed to lie or misrepresent the facts. Or if you're some poor bloke working three part time jobs, or a college student, or self-employed, and you need to see a doctor, YOU CAN!)

Plus, it's freaking gorgeous 2 months out of the year!
Tried to rep you. The difference between news broadcasts here and north of the border is interesting to say the least. And Olympics games coverage? The difference is staggering!

And have you ever noticed how many of the quality children programs your kids watch are produce up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota