Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM

192 posts, read 451,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
It just seems exotic to me. Like Lake Superior on steroids. Acess to things I'd never see elsewhere.
I just remember Moosonee as being virtually lawless at the time, drunks tearing through the dirt roads in rusty cars with no licenses as none were required up there, dusty crazy street scenes with giant flies and Indians cooking raisin bread by fires in tee pees next to white washed East Germany looking government buildings, it was a real trip, like I said, seemingly lawless, like the wild wild west. I remember Hudson Bay itself as being like any big seascape, like the east or west coast or Lake Superior, looking out as far as you can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
I just remember Moosonee as being virtually lawless at the time, drunks tearing through the dirt roads in rusty cars with no licenses as none were required up there, dusty crazy street scenes with giant flies and Indians cooking raisin bread by fires in tee pees next to white washed East Germany looking government buildings, it was a real trip, like I said, seemingly lawless, like the wild wild west. I remember Hudson Bay itself as being like any big seascape, like the east or west coast or Lake Superior, looking out as far as you can see.
The natives run the show up there. They're a real trip.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
No question, Hudson Bay is huge. Black Sea huge. I can imagine if it were at a lower latitude there might be surfing and sailing and anything that a big body of water favors.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,636 times
Winnipeg is no more than 7 hours away from Minneapolis door to door. 6 hours of total highway time. Also...it is nowhere near on the same plane as Detroit. Just like any city it has its rough parts. I've lived in Mpls since June after living in Winnipeg the previous 35 years...and guess what, I know more people who are unemployed or better yet, under employed here than there, bar none. Winnipeg is as big from a population standpoint as the twin cities metro. There are beautiful world renowned lakes within 1 hour driving distance....some of which have been voted the best lakes in the world....a train ride further north can allow you to get up close and personal with polar bears and beluga whales. Pretty impressive I'd say. There is a world class human rights museum in the heart of downtown right next to what historically was a trading hub and has been maintained as a top North American tourist attraction. I'm afraid most of you haven't done your research regarding employment and admissibility either. There is a NAFTA list of allowable occupation. Yes, you must possess a skill that the layperson does not possess but I can assure you a Ph.D. Or any equivalent is not required. And I don't think I need to preach about universal healthcare....and guess what...I paid more taxes here than I did back home. Oh and when I had a baby? 54 weeks off. Paid. Enough said.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
The natives run the show up there. They're a real trip.
I can assure you "Indians" or as the developed world called them, indigenous, aboriginal or First Nations, do not run the show. The marginalization and social and economic disparity is enormous.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmarie79 View Post
Winnipeg is no more than 7 hours away from Minneapolis door to door. 6 hours of total highway time. Also...it is nowhere near on the same plane as Detroit. Just like any city it has its rough parts. I've lived in Mpls since June after living in Winnipeg the previous 35 years...and guess what, I know more people who are unemployed or better yet, under employed here than there, bar none. Winnipeg is as big from a population standpoint as the twin cities metro. There are beautiful world renowned lakes within 1 hour driving distance....some of which have been voted the best lakes in the world....a train ride further north can allow you to get up close and personal with polar bears and beluga whales. Pretty impressive I'd say. There is a world class human rights museum in the heart of downtown right next to what historically was a trading hub and has been maintained as a top North American tourist attraction. I'm afraid most of you haven't done your research regarding employment and admissibility either. There is a NAFTA list of allowable occupation. Yes, you must possess a skill that the layperson does not possess but I can assure you a Ph.D. Or any equivalent is not required. And I don't think I need to preach about universal healthcare....and guess what...I paid more taxes here than I did back home. Oh and when I had a baby? 54 weeks off. Paid. Enough said.
Unemployment? Sorry - it's higher in Manitoba than in Minnesota.
6.0% compared to 3.7%, March 2016 statistics from both federal governments.

Population? The entire province of Manitoba has 1.2 million people. The Twin Cities? It varies depending on how you define it, but even a very narrow definition limited to Hennepin/Ramsey/Anoka/Dakota/Washington counties comprises 2.6 million people - and that's leaving out a lot of people in other counties that are definitely part of the Twin Cities metro.

It's hard to take anything else you claim seriously when you post such demonstrably false nonsense. If you're going to play the "Mine is bigger than yours!" game, at least get your basic facts right.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:39 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
I've been to Winnipeg about a dozen times as my mom is from there. However, in general I do not think Minnesotans travel to Canada very much. I consider Winnipeg as the most similar city to Minneapolis in terms of aesthetics.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Living up in the northwest corner of the state....the most popular trips to Canada are for fishing both warm and cold season. With tighter border controls....there is in general a bit less traffic to Winnipeg from the Grand Forks-Thief River Falls area....but there is some. Quite a bit more traffic from Manitoba south of the border...lots of youth sports (hockey and basketball in the winter) for tournaments and still getting the buses down for shopping at our super Target in Grand Forks. There were two the other day when I was there in late morning during the week.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
The border patrol up there have always been unpleasant, even long before 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota