Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
lol is it possible because they dont get paid for it?
Bingo !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,864,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Like someone said before, you are compensated for your time, not your plasma.
Semantics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----You can have my plasma, but my time is worth money ----

Yup, the value placed on--time-- by the unemployed is amusing.
Especially in this country where unemployed get the dole

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,130,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsie goldburg View Post
the way they explain it is, you are paid for your time, not your plasma. i don't know many people who would sit for an hour with a huge needle in their arm, for free. if they didn't pay, nobody would do it.
I donate. In Australia you do not get paid.

that's why its called a donation ...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I donate. In Australia you do not get paid.

that's why its called a donation ...
Yes, we are superior

Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Semantics.Especially in this country where unemployed get the dole
Out of curiosity, how does unemployment work in Australia? How much do you get, and for how long?

In the State of Georgia (USA) where I currently live, the maximum one can get is $320/week for 26 weeks (although right now there are all sorts of federal extensions to that time period), and that money is subject to normal income tax by both the feds and the state.

That isn't enough to make a decent mortgage payment, much less pay the other bills, pay for food, etc. Folks in the US generally can't depend on it for any lengthy period of time ... eventually your savings drains to zero unless you find work.

In MN, I think the max is currently $538/week. Significantly better, but not much different than when I was unemployed back in 2002.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Out of curiosity, how does unemployment work in Australia? How much do you get, and for how long?

In the State of Georgia (USA) where I currently live, the maximum one can get is $320/week for 26 weeks (although right now there are all sorts of federal extensions to that time period), and that money is subject to normal income tax by both the feds and the state.

That isn't enough to make a decent mortgage payment, much less pay the other bills, pay for food, etc. Folks in the US generally can't depend on it for any lengthy period of time ... eventually your savings drains to zero unless you find work.

In MN, I think the max is currently $538/week. Significantly better, but not much different than when I was unemployed back in 2002.
Payment amounts
Maximum fortnightly payment
If you are single, no children $462.80

single, with a dependent child or children $500.70

single, aged 60 or over, after 9 continuous months on payment
$506.70

partnered (each) $417.70

single, principal carer of a dependent child (granted an exemption for foster caring/home schooling/distance education/large family) $601.30 Note: Pharmaceutical Allowance may be paid.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,709,580 times
Lame, how about the goverment starts giving me some money.

I tried to get my student loans taken care of for a hardship, but apparently I make about $200 too much a month. So, i should just quit and then get my student loans taken care of instead of working and not getting help. What a joke

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Lame, how about the goverment starts giving me some money.
In the US, UI benefits are based on your earned income over a period of time (normally the average of three of the past four quarters or something similar), and then they use some fraction of your gross income (I think it's 50% in MN) as the base with a maximum ceiling. Anyone making a good salary will find themselves hitting the ceiling and ending up with a mere fraction of their previous take home pay. Heck, I hit the limit 18 years ago as a programmer with only four years of experience.

It isn't free money from the state, either ... companies will pay into the Unemployment Insurance fund to cover UI for laid off employees. I think the federal extensions come from a different pool, though, but given that almost half of the people in the US who are unemployed have been looking for work for over six months (46%, I think I just read), I don't begrudge them the small amount of money that UI pays them. Like I said, for a family it'll barely cover basic housing costs.

Quote:
I tried to get my student loans taken care of for a hardship, but apparently I make about $200 too much a month. So, i should just quit and then get my student loans taken care of instead of working and not getting help. What a joke
UI works the same way. If you get UI and also work, a percentage of your unemployment benefits are not paid based on the amount of pay that you are receiving from your job.

Trying to get back on topic ... I seem to recall at least one person early in the past decade who was unemployed and who made a certain amount of money by donating blood. I thought it was an interesting approach. Of course, I did pizza taste testing for a little while myself, and that was quite interesting. They paid me, and I got free food to evaluate!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
The one off suburban avenue; i got there twice a week.
first donation they give you fifty.
second is sixty .
then it's 25 the first time each week and 35 the second totaling 60 a week
but they also give you a coupon book where you get extra money on certain visits; the amount gets higher the more you go.
they're a really clean establishment that's hard to find because it's so small. they're called Talecris plasma recources. there's at least ten plasma screen tv's always playing a new movie and all of the nurses and workers are really nice.
i'm pretty sure it's the best place to go.

1910 Suburban Ave
St Paul, MN 55119

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times
That sounds great.
I used to donate plasma but I always felt scurvy afterward, it's basically prostitution in a round-about way.

It was good money though when I was broke, it literally helped pay my rent for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul