Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 16,154 times

Advertisements

Hi - We live in SW MPLS and have three elementary aged kids in Minneapolis Public Schools. There are many, many things we love about city living, but between the crime, the taxes and the struggling public schools, we are giving serious thought to heading out to the suburbs.

We would love recommendations; we are thinking west and are considering Edina, West Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, possibly even Chanhassen.

What's important to us are the quality of the schools, walkability (if there is such a thing in the suburbs) and sense of community. I fear ending up in Trumpland. I'd say that we are politically left of center and very much "city people" and we are hoping for independent stores, restaurants, etc. I'm not sure if that's even realistic.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,587 times
The suburbs swung the election to Biden, so please stop with the all suburbs are conservative narrative.

Richfield may be what you are looking for or even east Edina (if you afford it). I believe Hopkins has a somewhat walkable downtonwn.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:37 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirarose View Post
Hi - We live in SW MPLS and have three elementary aged kids in Minneapolis Public Schools. There are many, many things we love about city living, but between the crime, the taxes and the struggling public schools, we are giving serious thought to heading out to the suburbs.

We would love recommendations; we are thinking west and are considering Edina, West Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, possibly even Chanhassen.

What's important to us are the quality of the schools, walkability (if there is such a thing in the suburbs) and sense of community. I fear ending up in Trumpland. I'd say that we are politically left of center and very much "city people" and we are hoping for independent stores, restaurants, etc. I'm not sure if that's even realistic.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks.
Ok, here is my thoughts

The crime, taxes, and "struggling" schools are all directly related to those in Minneapolis with left of center politics/voting.

Stuff like this in the Mpls schools system is treated as if it is a good idea, despite the utter failure of it right next door in Saint Paul.

https://www.startribune.com/undiscip...ree/477145923/

I feel your your kids, but you should stay put.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokomie View Post
The suburbs swung the election to Biden, so please stop with the all suburbs are conservative narrative.

Richfield may be what you are looking for or even east Edina (if you afford it). I believe Hopkins has a somewhat walkable downtonwn.
The votes in the suburbs are evenly split between the two parties as opposed to Minneapolis, which is 75% Democrat, half of which are extreme leftists, so please stop with the narrative that suburbs are just as liberal as Minneapolis.

If the OP wants a suggestion, I say go to Edina. It’s full of limousine liberals who fled the consequences of their politics in SW Minneapolis, and the quality of the schools has just started to deteriorate as they have implemented their social justice curriculum. It will take a few years for them to fail, and by the time his kids are through school, it will be another Berkeley and he can move on to ruin another area.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-04-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-04-2020, 07:37 AM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
You might consider Excelsior, Wayzata, Edina, Chaska, or Chanhassen on the west/southwest side of the cities. If you are open to the east side, White Bear Lake is a great location. While I can't comment on the quality of schools, all of these suburbs have walkable downtowns (with the exception of Chanhassen) with unique shops and restaurants.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Wow, what helpful responses.

For the record, we are relatively new transplants to MN - and very few of my chosen candidates won their respective city council/school board/state races (as you may have gleaned from my "left of center" comment). But let's not let the truth interrupt a good story.

Thank you, Rhody2MN, for your suggestions.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:47 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I’m in the Plymouth, Wayzata, Minnetonka area and it’s fairly progressive. It’s not Trumpland, but there are definitely more conservatives like myself. This area used to be more conservative in the past, but that seems to have changed. The good thing is that all the schools are good, while Bloomington is hit or miss.

Excelsior definitely gives you that vibe of small town with some local shops. I have friends in Eden Prairie and they like it there as well.

However, you are getting a suburb. People are going on power walks or walking their dogs or cycling on road bikes, they aren’t walking to work or carrying bags of groceries home from Hy-Vee. You’re also going to have to get on a highway to go places most of the time.

I like Plymouth, but I think Minnetonka is great as well. I just don’t get the same sense of community from Eden Prairie, but that’s just my opinion.

Bloomington and Edina would keep you closer to the city if that’s what you’re looking for.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Thank you so much, TXRunner. I think you understood what I was getting at. Conservative - fine. Extreme right-wing, Trump-flag waving, not so much. I hadn't thought about Plymouth, so I appreciate that.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:14 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirarose View Post
Wow, what helpful responses.

Hopefully this has taught you something.

As you seek to escape the conditions in Minneapolis that progressive actions have created (high taxes, "struggling" schools, and violent crime) keep in mind that there are good people in the areas you seek refuge in that do not appreciate you taking those "left of center" ideologies along with.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
I am curious why the OP would want to leave Minneapolis so soon?

Breaking news: A People's Budget was released just this week, and signed by more than 60 organizations. The budget proposes to cut $84.3 million from the Minneapolis police budget of $193 million. In place of police, there would be a panoply of new programs. These programs would be "life affirming institutions" and include:

$12 million for mental health and substance abuse programs
$50 million for affordable housing
$11.6 million for community outreach
$10.7 million for cultural institutions and the arts
$1.45 million for the "sex worker community", including $700,000 to start a worker-owned strip club co-operative

Sounds like a liberal utopia; why leave Minneapolis now?

https://alphanewsmn.com/leftist-grou...police-budget/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul