Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times

Advertisements

Liberals leaving areas that have been ravaged by the policies they support is a national problem and has been for sometime. Here’s an article discussing the issue from 2013.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...michael-walsh/

Edina and Bloomington have both seen a sizable influx of Minneapolitans, many who have fled the failed Minneapolis Public Schools. Not surprisingly, both of those school districts are now in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,993,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
$1.45 million for the "sex worker community", including $700,000 to start a worker-owned strip club co-operative

https://alphanewsmn.com/leftist-grou...police-budget/
How can this strip club be "worker owned" if Minneapolis tax payers are funding it?

Old 12-05-2020, 10:26 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Deleted posts are repeatedly reported and mostly off topic.
General politics belongs to Politics Forum.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:38 AM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Deleting all posts off topic - see the thread title!
Try to post on topic to avoid deletions.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:34 PM

83 posts, read 130,913 times
Where we leave there's been a steady influx of hipsters/liberal loonies who have fled Minneapolis and Saint Paul proper due to crime, terrible schools, fiscal mismanagement, and generally little "bang" for their tax dollars.

A few ran for city council in the last election. Fortunately they were defeated but the votes were closer than I would've liked. One of the candidates was interviewed in the local paper and when asked about the city sewer budget he started going off about racial inequality and social justice (in a city that's 85% White and 10% Asian...)

[Mod cut: political rant]

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2020 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 03:51 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirarose View Post
Hi - We live in SW MPLS and have three elementary aged kids in Minneapolis Public Schools. There are many, many things we love about city living, but between the crime, the taxes and the struggling public schools, we are giving serious thought to heading out to the suburbs.

We would love recommendations; we are thinking west and are considering Edina, West Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, possibly even Chanhassen.

What's important to us are the quality of the schools, walkability (if there is such a thing in the suburbs) and sense of community. I fear ending up in Trumpland. I'd say that we are politically left of center and very much "city people" and we are hoping for independent stores, restaurants, etc. I'm not sure if that's even realistic.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks.
My friend and I drive through Eden Prairie and Chanhassen on our way to hiking and Christmas lights at the MN Arboretum. I was just saying earlier in the week, that if I had to buy a house somewhere else I'd like to live in one of those communities. Compared to MPLS/ St. Paul, they appear to be fairy tale places with their clean streets, shopping centers and 'woodsy' atmosphere.

We both live in the City, but she said my reasons were exactly why she wouldn't want to live there. Too cookie-cutter, too Stepford Wife. I think the part about you having school age children makes the difference though. When I was pregnant my husband I left the city to move to a "suburb" 200 miles north, for the family. I came back 20 years later as a single person.

Only you know what's best for your family!

Old 12-11-2020, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 30,446 times
We live in Eden Prairie. Moved from Uptown in 2014. EP certainly has its own set of problems, bur we've grown to like it. Housing is reasonably affordable, especially if you're OK with a late-80s to early-00's era place.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:07 AM

106 posts, read 161,527 times
You should definitely check out Hopkins, and just a few miles further down Excelsior Blvd is the Glen Lake section of Minnetonka. Hidden Gem. There’s a commercial node at Excelsior and Eden Prairie road serviced by two-lane roads and adjacent to leafy neighborhoods. Easily the most walkable and charming area of the suburbs aside from Excelsior (town) and Wayzata.

Amenities include small Lunds & Byerlys market, a Caribou, several independent restaurants, a brewery (Unmapped Brewing), a Post Office, and other useful businesses (cleaners, hair salon, barber, etc). There’s even a Christmas Tree Lot in November/December, adding to the small town feel. This is also an area that the DFL wins comfortably.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM

162 posts, read 155,572 times
How come no one has mentioned St. Louis Park? I think it's a pretty solid suburb with a lot more walkable/urban feeling than most others. It strikes a pretty good balance of suburbia with urban accessibility. I remember hearing the schools were good too but never did personal research as I don't have kids.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 16,174 times
Thank you so much for your advice, everyone. Really appreciate it! I been in the US for 15 years and have lived all that time in the city, so it's good to get local intel. Merry Christmas to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul